PDA

View Full Version : The creature tried to eat us all (Monster)

InaVegt
2006-08-18, 03:26 PM
Hungry Dragon
http://www.economist.com/images/20040221/D0804WB1.jpg

Large Dragon
Hit Dice: 2d12+2 (15 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (2 squares), fly 30 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 11 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d6+2) and bite -1 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Swallow whole, improved grab
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 9
Skills: Knowledge (nature) +2, Listen +6, Sense Motive +4, Spot +15, Survival +3
Feats: improved grapple
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 3-6 HD (Large); 7-10 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

The hungry dragon is very similar to dragons in shape yet posesses an appetite far above the appetite of those, the hungry dragon also has no ability to eat stone's or other nonliving material and must instead eat flesh. Normally a hungry dragon just eats his opponents alive, letting his stomach do the rest.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, a hungry dragon must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes swallows whole.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
A hungry dragon can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 1d10+2 points of crushing damage plus 1 point of acid damage per round from the dragon’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 5 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 12). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A large dragon’s interior can hold 2 Medium, 8 Small, 32 Tiny, or 128 Diminutive or smaller opponents

martyboy74
2006-08-18, 04:11 PM
What happpens if one of thses gets Inhumane Gullet (LoM)?

InaVegt
2006-08-18, 04:27 PM
What happpens if one of thses gets Inhumane Gullet (LoM)?
I'll assume you mean scavenging gullet and then it might just start to eat dead bodies instead of fresh meat.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-21, 09:24 AM
I happen to like this thing. however, it has the same amount of health as a pseuodragon. I think, since it is much larger, it should have more health.

The reason I like it is this: you can set up low-level PCs on a quest to take on a sizeible dragon. The townspeople can be reasonably frightened by this thing. then, when the PCs finally get to the dragon's lair, they find a fat tub of lard. ;D halirious.

MitP vote: once you fix the HP, yes.

Luircin
2006-08-24, 08:32 PM
Reminds me of the Gluttony dragon from Mongoose Publishing's <I>Book of Dragons</I>. I remember using that one; it ate the dwarf fighter four times before they finally killed it. One of the more memorable moments of my campaign (Other than the Vile rogue screaming at the dragon of Wrath: "I trusted you, man!") </character story>

I'm going to do it again to a low-level party! Thanks! *Yoink!*

But can you tell me why the claws are the primary attacks when usually dragons have bite as the primary attack (And this one needs to bite to eat things)?

Winged One
2006-08-25, 09:47 PM
MitP vote: yes, once you fix a few things(hp, attack order, yadda yadda)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-27, 09:51 AM
The picture makes it almost impossible for me to take this monster seriously. But, MitP Vote: Yes... as long as that picture won't be the official art.