Incubate
Transmutation[see text]
Level: Sor/wiz 0, drd 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: touch
Target: 1 egg touched
Duration: 1 day/level

Often employed by true dragons, this spell prevents a fertilized egg from suffering ill effects from it's mother's absence. Humanoid spellcasters generally use it to domesticate the animal the egg hatches into. It's descriptor is typically [fire], but in the case of eggs that are dependant on factors other then heat for incubation, it has whatever desciptor would be appropriate.

knightsaline
2006-08-26, 12:45 AM
Incubate
Evocation[fire]
Level: Sor/wiz 0, drd 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: touch
Target: 1 egg touched
Duration: 1 day/level

Often employed by true dragons, this spell prevents an egg from suffering ill effects from it's mother's absence. Humanoid spellcasters generally use it to domesticate the animal the egg hatches into.

yes, thats all well and good, but what does it actually do? does it heat the egg up? does it start a harmless fire? does it make the molecules of the shell vibrate to heat the animal inside? it needs game mechanics

wippit
2006-08-26, 12:49 AM
Well, as it's evocation[fire], I'm guessing it would hear the egg up.

Which kinda kills white/silver dragon eggs....

NullAshton
2006-08-26, 06:57 PM
How about a conjuration[healing] spell that places the egg in the perfect enviroment?

Winged One
2006-08-26, 07:47 PM
Addressed the cold-based dragon problem and changed the school.

Fizban
2006-08-27, 02:50 AM
I like it. Although it takes away some of the specialness of the dragon egg incubation rules in the draconomicon. I'd shorten it to 1 day, not because it's too strong (how could it be?), but because otherwise it takes away most need to watch the egg. A day long duration makes it so you need to show up, but you can still go hunting or defend the nest or something.
But that's just my opinion. Good idea in all respects.