PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Between the walls...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-01, 01:42 AM
Stumbleslink

Tiny Fey
Hit Dice: 3d6+6 (16 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+3 dex, +3 natural, +2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-9
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4-2) or Tongue +7 touch (gout)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4-2) and tongue +2 touch (gout)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft. (5 feet with tongue)
Special Attacks: Gout, spell-like abilities, ratbane gaze, streak
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, tremorsense 20 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +17, Climb +7, Escape Artist +13, Hide +17, Move Silently +13, Spot +7, Tumble +9
Feats: Ability Focus (gout), Dodge, Weapon Finesse(B), Weapon Focus (tongue)
Environment: Any urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Often neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: +3

A stumbleslink appears as a lengthy snake with irridescent black scales. However, unlike any snake, hundreds of tiny lizard-like legs with sharp claws grow upon each side. Its head seems just a tad over large, and bears a striking resemblance to a goblin's, with huge batwing ears that fold back across its head when moving quickly. From its small maw protrude two sets of rodent-like buck teeth made for gnawing and gouging. Hidden behind the teeth is a bright blue forked tongue that can dart out to astonishing length. The eyes are but tiny black diamonds that shine in the light.

Stumbleslinks are strange beings found in all manners of out of the way locales all about a home. Between the walls, up the attic, under the porch, continuously on the prowl for household pests such as rats, scorpions and roaches. All they ask in return is an occassional bowl of strong ale or some rags soaked with grease drippings to oil their scaley hides. Those who take the stumbleslink's generosity for granted have their feet licked in the night to awake painfully swollen and itching furiously.

Stumbleslinks speak Common, Sylvan, and Undercommon.

Combat
Stumbleslinks, when hunting their natural prey, usually attempt to cow them with their fearful glance. While the prey is frozen in terror it attacks. Against larger foes a stumbleslink hides and lies low, awaiting an opportunity to flick them with its tongue and watch them stumble over their own feet. It then disapears amongst its many passageways to combat its foe from yet another angle, repeating until they are too swollen and sore to continue the assault.

Gout (Ex): The touch of a stumbleslink's tongue causes sudden and intense pain within the feet and legs of its victim. The opponent must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or take 1d4 Dexterity damage and contracts Gout. Gout has an incubation period of 1 day. This causes the infected to have their ground speed reduced by half and take an additional 1d8 points of dexterity damage as it becomes almost impossible to use the supporting limb. This dexterity damage can only be cured naturally if the victim remains off his feet all day. Spells and powers heal normally. The save DC is Constitution based.

Ratbane Gaze (Su): The eyes of a stumbleslink strike terror in the hearts of creatures of pestilance. Rodents and vermin within 30 feet that meet its gaze must succeed on a DC 12 will save or becoming cowering. The save DC is Charisma based.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 5th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At will - Detect Snares and Pits, Know Direction. 1/day Delay Poison, Magic Fang.

Streak (Ex): A stumbleslink in action is a whipping, zig-zagging blur. When it charges it may move up to six times its normal speed, and can use wall and floor interchangably, though must end its turn on a horizontal surface or fall prone. It ignores all penalties from charging over terrains that would normally impede movement. The stumbleslink may even make one turn of up to 90 degrees during its charge. It must have line of sight to its opponent at the start of its turn.

Skills:
Stumbleslinks have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Escape Artist, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 02:46 AM
Cool creature VT... but I thought we weren't using PEACH ion this forum? ;)

I know. Habits die hard. Anyway, no real PEACHing to do, but...

Streak (Ex): A stumbleslink in action is a whipping, zig-zagging blur. When it charges it may move up to six times its normal speed, and can use wall and floor interchangably, though must end its turn on a horizontal surface or fall prone. It ignores all penalties from charging over terrains that would normally impede movement. The stumbleslink may even make one turn of up to 90 degrees during its charge. You must have line of sight to its opponent at the start of its turn.

Abilities like this really amuse me. Don't people realize that the ceiling is a horizontal surface?

McDeath
2006-08-01, 05:32 AM
You know, Vorpal...I really need to collate all your creatures. I'll have my players frightened of every object in-game (they already fear the NPCs).

That said, nice stuff. ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-01, 08:55 AM
CAbilities like this really amuse me. Don't people realize that the ceiling is a horizontal surface?
Well, considering this is an extraordinary and not a supernatural ability, and that, in most cases, gravity works... you may end your turn up there, but you still kinda fall.

You know, Vorpal...I really need to collate all your creatures. I'll have my players frightened of every object in-game (they already fear the NPCs).
Save you the time: VT's Creation Page (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=4932488&postcount=142)
(Keep out Dying Ember folks ;) )

Delcan
2006-08-26, 11:45 PM
This is like a tool as a DM to entertain yourself with while punishing the PCs' very existence. The only thing I'd suggest is something to make it even more painful to go up against, and give it the ability to end its Streak trait on walls or ceilings with no penalty.

(Doesn't help that I initially read the name of the creature "stumbleskink." *grin*)