PDA

View Full Version : 4e - Warlord help

amanamana
2009-04-04, 10:06 PM
Hey, playground.
I'll try a build for a pbp and I would like some help on magic items.
The character is a human tactical warlord, second level. The main stats are STR 18, INT 16, CHA 12. It will be allowed the standard levels 1, 2 and 3 magic items and at-will mundane equipment, within reason.
I'm thinking in sword and board (heavy shield feat), with hide armor.
I do have some ideas for magic items, but I just have access to the PHB, although the DM said all books are allowed. So, if you can think of items from other sources or have suggestions from the PHB, let me know.
The group will be, even if I don't get in, 4 players, one from each role.

thanks in advance.:smallsmile:

AgentPaper
2009-04-04, 11:41 PM
I'd go for a reach weapon, armor, and neck slot. I assume you don't need help with the actual build, but could you give more details on it? It would help in selecting helpful items.

Edit: So far, I would recommend a Inspiring Longspear or Halberd (level 3), Magic Hide Armor (level 1) and an Amulet of Resolution (level 2). The longspear and halberd are the same, except that one is a spear and polearm, while the other is an axe and polearm. If you're willing to spend a feat on a superior weapon, though, the greatspear gives you an extra +1 to hit on top of those, which is pretty good for a feat.

NecroRebel
2009-04-05, 12:03 AM
Agreed on the reach weapon and equipment choices. Reach weapons help Warlords out a lot, as it allows them to use their melee powers while not being in melee with enemies, as well as in many cases allowing their powers' secondary effects (particularly such tastiness as the daily 1 power Lead the Attack) to reach the backline more efficiently. If I thought it likely that you'd get to the Paragon tier, I'd suggest a Glaive for Heavy Blade feats, but since that will take months in even the quickest PbP game, I'll suggest a Longspear instead, or a Greatspear if you feel like burning a feat for +1 attack (Often worth it, btw).

Hide armor is almost certainly the way to go, as it will give you nearly as much AC as full plate would. You will, however, want to use at least one of your magic items on magic armor, at least one on a magic neckpiece, and at least one on a magic weapon. Assuming you really are going with standard wealth with unbounded mundane items, that means you have enough gold for one other level 1 item, but unfortunately there aren't any really good ones of those so you might just want to skip it.

I'll also suggest picking up several Javelins, particularly if you go the spear route, as they allow you to make Str-based ranged attacks. This can sometimes allow an attack in the first round of combat without forcing you to overextend, or allow you to continue attacking while staying in the backline entirely. A magic Javelin probably isn't important, though, as you won't be using them often enough. They're just there for an extra option that will sometimes be extremely attractive.

amanamana
2009-04-05, 12:38 AM
Thanks so far.
The javelin part I know and was already arranged. I do have experience in 4e, but just with the first 3 books.
The reason why I thought about sword and board is that I prefer +3 proficiency weapons, even though I know the benefits of reach. And, in the PHB, the only weapons with this are the swords. But if you say that there is a spear with reach and +3 prof, that would be neat in so many ways you can't imagine, as the game has greek flavor:smallbiggrin:! I would be glad to take it even if it costed 2 feats!:smalltongue:
I just would ask for more info on that weapon: the book, the damage...
I don't think this game will reach paragon level... I don't even know if I'm going to be selected:smalleek:.

thanks so far.:smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2009-04-05, 12:49 AM
They're just there for an extra option that will sometimes be extremely attractive.

You can make it a semi-viable option with the use of Ranger MC, Borderlands Marshal, and the handful of powers that require heavy thrown weapons.

amanamana
2009-04-05, 01:00 AM
Would I get any use on this in the next few levels? As I said, I don't think this game will go so many levels...

thanks.:smallsmile:

AgentPaper
2009-04-05, 01:00 AM
Greatspear is indeed a solid weapon. It's in the Adventurer's Vault:

Greatspear/Superior Two-Handed Melee/+3/1d10/25gp/Polearm, Spear/Reach

And yes, hide armor is your best choice, with your stats and class.

amanamana
2009-04-05, 01:03 AM
Wow! Thanks a lot!:smallbiggrin:

amanamana
2009-04-05, 02:22 AM
So far, I would recommend a Inspiring Longspear or Halberd (level 3), Magic Hide Armor (level 1) and an Amulet of Resolution (level 2)... If you're willing to spend a feat on a superior weapon, though, the greatspear gives you an extra +1 to hit on top of those, which is pretty good for a feat.

What does "Inspiring" do and where can I find it (I will go with the Greatspear, even though my AC and reflex will suffer)? And this amulet? As I only have access to the PHB, I was thinking about the cloak of resistence +1.

Kurald Galain
2009-04-05, 04:03 AM
It will be allowed the standard levels 1, 2 and 3 magic items and at-will mundane equipment, within reason.
Ok. The first thing to get yourself is a magic weapon. Check whether you can find any cool powers on level-2 or level-3 weapons, if not just grab a regular "magic +1".

On the other hand, you probably don't want magic armor or a cloak just yet, because +1 to defenses doesn't make all that much of a difference if you're not a defender. You only get three "item picks" so it's better to spend them on stuff that gives you extra options. There are plenty of interesting utility items in (particularly) the adventurers vault, such as boots and wondrous items.

AgentPaper
2009-04-05, 05:44 AM
What does "Inspiring" do and where can I find it (I will go with the Greatspear, even though my AC and reflex will suffer)? And this amulet? As I only have access to the PHB, I was thinking about the cloak of resistence +1.

Well, I suppose whether you should go for a reach weapon or a shield depends on your party makeup. If you've got a good defender you don't really need to worry about being attacked so much. If you don't have a defender, or your defender is focused on damage and you don't have many other melee folks, then picking up a shield could well be worth it, though.

Also, on a second glance the inspiring weapon isn't as good as I thought it was, at least at this level. Instead, I would go for a Vanguard Greatspear, which is pretty much just better, though you do have to charge to use it's power. (then again, it also makes your charges more powerful in the first place...)

Unfortunately, I don't know if I should be just giving you full stat blocks for these things, like I did the greatspear, with copyright issues and all. I would really recommend picking up the Adventurer's Vault if you can, it's a solid addition to the game, and has a lot of interesting items in it, and a couple other goodies like new mounts and vehicles. If you don't want to buy the whole book, you could also get a premium account on the WotC site, which gets you pretty much everything you'll ever need as a player from all the books, through the compendium and the character builder.

Then again, the free demo of the character builder had these items in it, so maybe it's fine to post them wherever? :smallconfused:

ImperiousLeader
2009-04-05, 07:31 AM
Non-PHB feats you may want to consider:

Martial Power:
- Lend Might, attacks you grant gain a +1 bonus, useful if you intend to use Commander's Strike a lot.
- Improved Tactics, improve your Tactical Presence feature

PH2:
- Weapon Expertise

And, since you're a human, you know you take Action Surge, yes?

amanamana
2009-04-05, 12:09 PM
Yeah... I don't really know if there is a problem with giving info that was on a free preview.

And I had already taken action surge. Don't want to miss my daily!:smallamused:

Thank you all.

AgentPaper
2009-04-05, 02:52 PM
Eh, I'll take the risk:

Vanguard Weapon +1
Level 3
Any Melee
+1 to attack and damage
+1d8 on crit
+1d8 on successful charge
(Daily): Minor action. Use this power before you make a charge. If that charge hits, all allies within 10 squares add +1 to hit and your charisma to damage.

This compared to Inspiring weapon, which lets you give allies a +1 to damage, and only if they're adjacent to you. Granted, you need to charge and hit with that charge, but I still think it's better, since it adds +to hit as well as equivalent damage. (with your stats)

Amulet of Resolution +1
Level 2
Neck slot
+1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
(Daily) No action. Use this power when you fail a saving throw. Re-roll the saving throw, using the second roll even if it's lower.

This compared to cloak of resistance, the only other decent option. However, as a leader, you can probably heal more points of damage with a simple encounter power than the cloak would resist. The amulet, on the other hand, allows you to get another chance to save from some nasty immobilize or sleep effect, which as a leader you are the best target for in the first place. It helps keep you from being taken out of the fight and unable to heal your allies.

The only problem with these two is that they are both daily item abilities, which you only get to use one of per day in the heroic tier. However, since they are each better for different situations, this shouldn't be too big an issue. If you want to avoid this issue altogether, you could drop the amulet for a suit of Veteran's Hide Armor, which is also level 2. While not as ridiculously good as it was when first published, the veteran enhancement still gives you a +1 to hit when you use an action point, and as a property, not a power. If you know the benefit of action surge, then you should know why this is still a solid choice.

Colmarr
2009-04-05, 06:21 PM
(Daily): Minor action. Use this power before you make a charge. If that charge hits, all allies within 10 squares add +1 to hit and your charisma to damage.

I REALLY hope that benefit is only until the end of your next turn?

Artanis
2009-04-05, 06:46 PM
I REALLY hope that benefit is only until the end of your next turn?
Start of your next turn, in fact.

Asbestos
2009-04-05, 09:02 PM
On the other hand, you probably don't want magic armor or a cloak just yet, because +1 to defenses doesn't make all that much of a difference if you're not a defender.

But! The PC is human, which comes with a free +1 to defenses, if they pick up something that bumps that up by another +1 then they effectively have a +2 to defenses when compared to non-Human PCs (and as far as monster attacks are concerned)

amanamana
2009-04-05, 09:46 PM
Eh, I'll take the risk:

Vanguard Weapon +1
Level 3
Any Melee
+1 to attack and damage
+1d8 on crit
+1d8 on successful charge

This compared to Inspiring weapon, which lets you give allies a +1 to damage, and only if they're adjacent to you. Granted, you need to charge and hit with that charge, but I still think it's better, since it adds +to hit as well as equivalent damage. (with your stats)

Amulet of Resolution +1
Level 2
Neck slot
+1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
(Daily) No action. Use this power when you fail a saving throw. Re-roll the saving throw, using the second roll even if it's lower.

This compared to cloak of resistance, the only other decent option. However, as a leader, you can probably heal more points of damage with a simple encounter power than the cloak would resist. The amulet, on the other hand, allows you to get another chance to save from some nasty immobilize or sleep effect, which as a leader you are the best target for in the first place. It helps keep you from being taken out of the fight and unable to heal your allies.

The only problem with these two is that they are both daily item abilities, which you only get to use one of per day in the heroic tier. However, since they are each better for different situations, this shouldn't be too big an issue. If you want to avoid this issue altogether, you could drop the amulet for a suit of Veteran's Hide Armor, which is also level 2. While not as ridiculously good as it was when first published, the veteran enhancement still gives you a +1 to hit when you use an action point, and as a property, not a power. If you know the benefit of action surge, then you should know why this is still a solid choice.

Well, Thanks a lot.:smallsmile:
I'll go for the vanguard spear, amulet and hide +1 (if I take the veteran's armor, I can't think of any usefull level 1 item...).
The DM should post his decision in a few hours, so I'll better be ready.

Thank you all for your time and attention.:smallwink:

greetings.