PDA

View Full Version : The thread in which Subway messes with Alucard AGAIN...

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-05, 03:49 AM
Well, my sister visited me yesterday, and she told me how she was jonesing for Subway. I decided to come along, as I hadn't had anything to eat yet, and was feeling somewhat hungry. She doesn't like Quizno's, or I would've suggested it instead...

We get our subs (my sis got a crab meat one, and I got my traditional meatball marinara, only they were out of both the bread I typically enjoy it on, and the cheese I typically enjoy it on), and this time I looked up at the menu. I was surprised to see that the price of the meatball marinara had dropped once more; now it was only $5.19 for a footlong. That, combined with my student discount (10% off), would equate to less than Subway's "Five Dollar Footlong" deal (which for some reason they never allow to stack with my student discount. What's the point of having a student discount if you never get to use it?).

I tried to explain this to them when it came to paying for the subs. Having recently read a lot of the stories on Not Always Right, I was careful to make myself clear and concise as I explained to them that my student discount coupled with the menu price should make my total less than actually taking the deal.

However, they told me that because it was "ANY Five Dollar Footlong," that I HAD to take the deal. Apparently the fact that the menu suggested otherwise didn't factor into the equation. Not only that, but then they went as far as to suggest that it would be more expensive for menu price, anyway...

:furious:

thubby
2009-04-05, 05:44 AM
that is technically illegal. if something is at a listed price, they cannot make you pay more for it.

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 07:15 AM
..."jonesing"? I'm afraid I'm not familliar with this term.

Also, ha. Can't fight City Hall Subway.

mercurymaline
2009-04-05, 08:14 AM
..."jonesing"? I'm afraid I'm not familliar with this term.

Also, ha. Can't fight City Hall Subway.

It means craving.

Where the heck does Subway carry crab meat? The Subways here don't have menus, just a list of ingredients. There're signs that say "Any Regular Footlong = $5" but no indications of which ones are considered "Regular." Apparently, everything's $5 except whatever I'm ordering that day.

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 08:44 AM
...huh.

Where's the connection in that :smallconfused:

User Name
2009-04-05, 08:55 AM
{Scrubbed}

DraPrime
2009-04-05, 09:58 AM
{Scrubbed}

wadledo
2009-04-05, 10:57 AM
{Scrubbed}

User Name
2009-04-05, 11:23 AM
{Scrubbed}

Neko Toast
2009-04-05, 11:26 AM
{Scrubbed}

Mustiado
2009-04-05, 12:21 PM
{Scrubbed}

Evil_Pacifist
2009-04-05, 01:15 PM
You know, I have never eaten at Subway without throwing up later the same day. This isn't actually saying much, since I've only eaten there three times.

... But still!

Ascension
2009-04-05, 01:36 PM
I've generally found that the experience at any chain restaurant is wholly dependent on who happens to be working there that day. Generally a bad experience is simply caused by relatively incompetent employees and a good experience is caused by relatively skilled employees, with the name and reputation of the chain itself having little to no effect on the actual quality of said employees.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-05, 01:43 PM
Whereas I have never had an unpleasant experience at any Subway I've ever been to. Ever.
In several states.

And, remember, folks; Don't feed Trolls. Not even your badly made chain food sammiches.

User Name
2009-04-05, 02:01 PM
{Scrubbed}

Midnight Son
2009-04-05, 02:07 PM
Subway: Sub-par sammiches on usually stale and ripped bread.

Plus, they have the audacity to make anybody who hears my name say, "had any subway lately?" and yet I don't get a cent.

Those dirty...:smallmad:

Ascension
2009-04-05, 02:50 PM
Eh, all the best sub shops are localized. In fact, all the best restaurants are localized.

Chains are for the weak. :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-05, 02:52 PM
Eh, all the best sub shops are localized. In fact, all the best restaurants are localized.

Or those who have thirty minute lunch breaks from work :smalltongue:

Ascension
2009-04-05, 03:15 PM
Or those who have thirty minute lunch breaks from work :smalltongue:

I already mentioned the weak, didn't I? :smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-05, 04:08 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Insulting each other or entire groups of people (such as wage workers or chain restaurant employees) is not permitted here. Be more excellent to each other and party on dudes.

Lupy
2009-04-05, 05:36 PM
I've never had a bad experience at Subway, it sounds like it might just be the one near you (I remember the last time you ate there. :smallsigh: ), I would recommend driving farther to get decent food next time your sister visits.

DraPrime
2009-04-05, 05:54 PM

Hey, there are some good chains. This one chain of pizza places called Uppercrust exists in the Boston area, and they make amazing pizza. Some of the best I've ever eaten.

arguskos
2009-04-05, 06:01 PM
And some chains are godawful (I here reference Imo's Pizza, in St. Louis... where you aren't sure about what you are eating, because it doesn't look like food). Just a thought.

I personally think chains are fine, but the quality tends to vary greatly from one franchise to another (see: Subway, Whataburger, etc).

Coidzor
2009-04-05, 06:32 PM

Or the kinky. :smallamused:

I've never had a bad experience with subway... Then again, I've never tried to figure out the esoteric pricing systems. Great... Now I want a sub, a chicken sandwich, a half-pound hamburger, and a pizza. Not having really eaten a meal for several days and then thinking about food is probably inadvisable...

Hmm... if I had some relish I could make tuna salad....

Assassin89
2009-04-05, 06:55 PM
I had only one bad experience with subway, but it was due to the way the sandwiches were ordered rather than the chain itself. The problem was that the sandwiches were ordered with the same additional toppings, meaning that it was not an enjoyable meal when the sandwiches were picked up. Other times were more enjoyable due to ordering the sandwich myself.

Syka
2009-04-05, 07:34 PM
Technically, the listed price is 5 dollars- not the 5.19, since it's a sale. Like how at Walgreens if something goes onsale we show the original price and below it the sale price.

That said, they SHOULD give you the student discount. But if they have a policy of not discounting things already discounted, then they were perfectly in the right. Where I work we'll take as many coupons as you have that will work, basically (have 6 of an item? One coupon that says for 'one item' will work for all of them). At Movie Gallery, they were really strict about it though (one coupon, one item; not more or less).

They really might not have been able to do anything.

Just sayin'.

Cheers~

SoD
2009-04-05, 08:49 PM
Wow. 6 scrubbed posts in a row, I haven't actually seen anything on that magnitude before...

But anyway, as a Subway employee myself; when it comes to prices (and I assume it works where-ever you live the same as it does for me down under) our touch screens for the till and all that, we punch in what you order (in your example; meatball footlong), not the price of said order. The computer works out the price, and if you're eligable for a discount, we punch that in as well. If we try to discount something which isn't discountable, the computer doesn't let us.

And we can't just say "Well, I agree, so I just won't charge you as much, no matter what the computer says." as the computer also keeps track of how much money is in the till, and we need to count that money every two hours, and keep track of weather it's over or under (and the computer keeps track of that as well, when we tell it how much it's over or under).

That being said; even though there's nothing they can do if they've run out of cheese, they should be baking more bread of whatever sort before they run out. Not doing so is just rather slack on their part.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-04-05, 09:03 PM
Yeah, can't stand the subways, I think driving is the way to go. :smalltongue:

Divine Comedy
2009-04-05, 09:48 PM
If you've ever worked a minimum wage job then you should realize how tough it is. I can't stand subway, but I've worked a minimum wage job before. The workers have to put up with a ton of work (at least if the store is functioning half-way properly) for barely any pay. While getting hassled by bosses and customers. You'd be upset too in that situation so cut them some slack.

What most likely happened in Alucards' situation is that the workers were told to squeeze every cent out of the deal by someone, and they had to go along with it so as not to make a miserable time even worse.

Lycan 01
2009-04-05, 09:49 PM
Subway is alright... I prefer to make my sammiches at home, so I can pick from my own list of ingredients and put as much of them as I want on my sammich.

But yeah, Subway's okay. Its not the top of my list of awesome restaraunts, but its not at the bottom, either...

*essentially lives at Waffle House*

Sneak
2009-04-05, 09:58 PM
Subway's pretty good. There's a Subway and a Quiznos right near my school. I go to both of them for lunch from time to time, and they're both pretty good.

In fact, I actually like Subway. I've never had any problems with it.

Agamid
2009-04-05, 09:59 PM
the smell of subway makes me gag and i was scarred at a young age having lived in a town where the local subway had a HUGE subway sammitch on the building that had not aged well and looked as though it were stuffed with roaches.
Keeping lizards and having been sprayed with in innards of roaches on multiple occasions this mental image disgusts me beyond words.

that, and i'm veggo, and places like subway can never 100% guarantee to be that there will not me meat somewhere on the food they serve me.

Ascension
2009-04-06, 12:43 AM
Hey, there are some good chains. This one chain of pizza places called Uppercrust exists in the Boston area, and they make amazing pizza. Some of the best I've ever eaten.

I was joking more than anything (hence the :smalltongue:). I have had my best culinary experiences at unique restaurants or highly localized chains, but chain restaurants are certainly not all bad, and, depending on the quality of the local management and help, can be rather amazing.

In my own home town over the last few years I've seen the quality of the Pizza Hut fluctuate wildly as the staff has changed. Other places are somewhat variable, but Pizza Hut ranges from having service the speed of molasses to running like clockwork.

I will say, though, that I have never had good barbecue at a restaurant with more than three locations. Decent barbecue maybe, but never good.

I personally think chains are fine, but the quality tends to vary greatly from one franchise to another (see: Subway, Whataburger, etc).

Man, now you're making me miss the Whataburger that used to be in Valdosta. It's okay, though, Slap Daddy's (http://www.valdostascene.com/jan2009/local_story_005100238.html) (a new place that just opened) is even better when it comes to burgers (which in itself is a fine example of the local restaurant vs. chain restaurant principle).

The best subs I've ever had have all come from Larry's (http://www.larryssubs.com/), by the way. Awesome, awesome chain. Shrinking fast, though. The Cordele, Douglas, and Waycross locations have closed, leaving Valdosta the only Larry's reasonably near me. I think they tried expanding too far too fast, and they've been facing stiff competition from Firehouse Subs and the national chains.

Divine Comedy
2009-04-06, 12:47 AM
This thread got 100% better by moving onto food discussion.

There's a new chain (new in our area, at least) called Pizza Fuel Cafe. They have great pizza and even very good desserts. Chains always seem to have a higher quality when they start, if only they could keep it.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-06, 01:07 AM
I actually had my first Whataburger yesterday.
It was kinda...meh.
I was hoping it would have been...something more?

Divine Comedy
2009-04-06, 01:21 AM
For some, life is the search for the perfect burger. Always seeking, but never finding.

THAC0
2009-04-06, 01:39 AM
Perfect Burger: 5 Guys.

As for subway... my experiences have been pretty good. Except for the incredibly slow employee at one particular place. And the fact that $5 footlongs are not, in fact, $5 in Alaska.

However, I did work in a sandwich shop during college. And some of the things I saw employees do there scared me!

Fortunately, I am quite capable of selective amnesia. So most times eating at those types of places doesn't bother me too much.

Ascension
2009-04-06, 02:18 AM
Perfect Burger: 5 Guys.

I thought I covered this already? Perfect Burger: Slap Daddy's. Come to Valdosta, Georgia. Eat. Enjoy.

And yes, I have eaten at 5 Guys. Slap Daddy's is still better. :smalltongue:

Midnight Son
2009-04-07, 06:58 AM
5 guys would be perfect if they used real cheese. Its the fries, though; delicious, tasty fries in large quantities. Yummy.

Best restaurant burger I've ever had goes to Fuddruckers. Give me a triple cheese with mushrooms and a chocolate shake and I'm in burger heaven.

*checks watch to see how long till they open*

Jack Squat
2009-04-07, 07:21 AM
I like Cheeburger Cheeburger personally *ducks*

Where else can you get a one-pound hamburger with just about whatever you want on it for $10? The shakes are pretty good too.

We've got a 5 guys around here, but I don't go too often. IMO, the burgers cost too much for how small they are. Better food than a lot of the other chains though, so I won't hold it against them too much.

rubakhin
2009-04-07, 07:29 AM
I think I go into the Subway in town primarily because there's this little old lady at the register who calls everybody "darling" and "dear" and "my love" and it's incredibly cute. Nice old ladies give me warm fuzzies.

Oh God, there used to be this burger place in New Haven. They like ... DEEP FRIED those mothers. *whimpers* They closed down in I think February. Now I have no reason to ever return to that city.

There's also a really good, really old (est. 1895) burger place in the same city. They're really anal about the infallible sanctity of their burgers, though, there's this little sign saying "No, you can't have it your way ... " and goes on to explain that you're only allowed to have certain toppings, mustard and ketchup aren't allowed in the building, for instance, you can't get it medium rare or well-done or anything ... They have reached perfect equilibrium with the Zen of hamburgers, and you are not allowed to violate that, no.

You put up with this because they really are that great.

Jack Squat
2009-04-07, 07:35 AM
Nice old ladies give me warm fuzzies.

I'm tempted to sig this. :smallamused:

SoD
2009-04-07, 05:49 PM
However, I did work in a sandwich shop during college. And some of the things I saw employees do there scared me!

What'd they do? The worst I've seen happen is when someone 'accidentally' drops a cookie onto the counter when there's nobody in the shop. And as we can no longer sell it to a customer...

Ascension
2009-04-07, 08:47 PM
There's also a really good, really old (est. 1895) burger place in the same city. They're really anal about the infallible sanctity of their burgers, though, there's this little sign saying "No, you can't have it your way ... " and goes on to explain that you're only allowed to have certain toppings, mustard and ketchup aren't allowed in the building, for instance, you can't get it medium rare or well-done or anything ... They have reached perfect equilibrium with the Zen of hamburgers, and you are not allowed to violate that, no.

What do they put on the zenburgers? I'm just curious.

chiasaur11
2009-04-08, 04:39 PM

The lotus petals are in blossom.
(Hits Ascension with a stick).

rubakhin
2009-04-08, 06:03 PM

Cheese, tomato, and onion. Nothing else was allowed. *nod*

KilltheToy
2009-04-08, 06:33 PM
I actually had my first Whataburger yesterday.
It was kinda...meh.
I was hoping it would have been...something more?

First? :smallconfused:

I take it you moved from not-Whataburger-country into Whataburger-country.

I think it's pretty good. Then again, I've been living here my whole life, so I've had Whataburger pretty much all me life. At the very least, it's better than McDonalds and BK.

arguskos
2009-04-08, 06:43 PM
First? :smallconfused:

I take it you moved from not-Whataburger-country into Whataburger-country.

I think it's pretty good. Then again, I've been living here my whole life, so I've had Whataburger pretty much all me life. At the very least, it's better than McDonalds and BK.
Whataburger is alright. Sadly, they have the best fish around. It's pretty much all I get there. Oh, that and their OMGWTFBBQ amazing breakfast menu! :smallamused: Now, that is some DAYUM good food right there.