PDA

View Full Version : No turning back?

Järnblomma
2009-04-05, 08:23 AM
Has V crossed the moral line? Will the OotS ever return to it's original form? Do you WANT that... or not?

Personally I would like V to return but the familicide was... heavy. Very heavy. Even though it was Black Dragons.

Discuss.

Starscream
2009-04-05, 08:48 AM
This is just conjecture, but perhaps V's story is going to play out as a contrast to Miko's. They both did something horrible, but Miko died without ever achieving atonement because she simply could not accept the fact that she had done wrong.

Maybe Vaarsuvius is going to do the opposite, accept the consequences for his/her actions and earn redemption. Thus the strip will have explored both possible ways a character can go after falling from grace.

And from a storytelling point it would make more sense. If V stays evil, then what's the point of having the evil spirits gain possession of him/her? It wouldn't make a difference, really.

Miko believed so strongly in her own righteousness, that she trusted in it despite all the evidence that she was wrong.

Vaarsuvius believes so strongly in the power of arcane magic that he/she couldn't accept another way to solve the problem, even when one was presented by the fiends.

Heck this latest strip (643) features the first time since the soul-splice that simply expending spell slots couldn't provide a solution (the less powerful characters figured it out for themselves), so maybe V is on the road to learning that the most powerful magic isn't always the best way to accomplish something.

Mr. Pin
2009-04-05, 11:09 AM
I'd like to believe in Starscream's theory, and I think that V will turn back, somehow, because the order just can't take another loss, much less another enemy. Anyways, she's gonna lose control of the splice soon, so she's gotta turn back.

David Argall
2009-04-05, 02:54 PM
Assuming our theory of fiend motivations is correct, there is virtually no chance V won't return to [more or less] normal. V must be present at the next gate, and that means still being a part of the party

GarmStoylen
2009-04-05, 08:29 PM
Like V couldn't get to the gate without them?

Or won't try to prove s/he doesn't need their help?

GoC
2009-04-05, 09:10 PM
Heck this latest strip (643) features the first time since the soul-splice that simply expending spell slots couldn't provide a solution (the less powerful characters figured it out for themselves), so maybe V is on the road to learning that the most powerful magic isn't always the best way to accomplish something.

If V "learns" this I will be very disappointed in her. This is D&D, the most powerful magic is ALWAYS the best way to accomplish something.

Flickerdart
2009-04-05, 09:18 PM
If V "learns" this I will be very disappointed in her. This is D&D, the most powerful magic is ALWAYS the best way to accomplish something.
No, sometimes you can use less powerful magic and save the spell slots.

oxybe
2009-04-06, 02:41 AM
quite true. why use a sudden maximized twinned spell split ray of enfeeblement to stop your opponent when a disintegrate will do?

Järnblomma
2009-04-06, 05:03 AM
quite true. why use a sudden maximized twinned spell split ray of enfeeblement to stop your opponent when a disintegrate will do?

For funsies? :smallamused:

Starscreams theory might work, but V can't have a low punishment otherwise it would seem like he just escaped justice, and I wouldn't want that either... even in a comic-strip.