PDA

View Full Version : Fable 3

Black Orc 2k8
2009-04-05, 09:46 AM
I thought i would make this thread so people could talk about what fable 2 should improve for the next game (if there is a next game). Also to talk about each overs characters from both fable and fable2.

Crispy Dave
2009-04-05, 10:49 AM
I liked the original fable and Ive heard the second is an improvement. Once my life flattens out a bit I plan to pick up 2 and play it.

Graymayre
2009-04-05, 10:57 AM
It needs to have a PC release at the same time as the console releases. I like the series, but I despise playing it on my Xbox 360.

Arachu
2009-04-05, 11:35 AM
The second game had this... Sad feel to it...

It was a good game, but when I finished Fable 1, I felt awesome. When I finished Fable 2, I felt sad :smallfrown:

I dunno. I say it should have closed with a final battle. As it is, it's sort of... Unsatisfying.

Still, I do like the game.

[self-worship mode (activate)]
In, like, both of them, my evil characters are always epic. In the first, my evil guy bought the world, killed hundreds of undead, and became the quasi-benevolent ruler of that little part of the world. I was p'd off when the Frozen Wastes wouldn't unlock (it was before Lost Chapters)

In Lost Chapters, I killed the dragon with a stick :smallbiggrin:
... But the disk screwed up before I could catch a Kraken (trust me, my sources are genuine)

In the second one, my evil guy wears the Male Middle Class outfit, made complete by Charles' Tophat. That thing is so worth it... He also owns the world, but like an idiot I left Westcliff as a crime vacuum (despite my knowing that Barnum develops it if paid), and I left Old Town to crime (lowering property values greatly), so I need some work for the King achievement...
[self-worship mode (disengage)]

FdL
2009-04-05, 11:37 AM
PC version, seconded. It's ridiculous, frankly.

BizzaroStormy
2009-04-05, 12:54 PM
Yeah, first thing they need is to change the magic system. I like the idea of not having to keep an eye on my maan bar, but the fact that you need Time Stop just to cast the more powerful spells was rediculous. The armor system was also missed since your character could easily have massive chunks of health go missing.

I'd like to see a different way of using items, like holding down one of the triggers and using a stick to select. That and a better ending would be nice...the current one...Is stupid...no final boss fight or anything. Your quest for vengeance ends with you shooting the BBEG in the head, or one of your allies shoots him in the head if you take too long. After that, theres a couple post-game quests but none are really worth it in my opinion.

Black Orc 2k8
2009-04-05, 02:43 PM
Yeah, first thing they need is to change the magic system. I like the idea of not having to keep an eye on my maan bar, but the fact that you need Time Stop just to cast the more powerful spells was rediculous. The armor system was also missed since your character could easily have massive chunks of health go missing.

I'd like to see a different way of using items, like holding down one of the triggers and using a stick to select. That and a better ending would be nice...the current one...Is stupid...no final boss fight or anything. Your quest for vengeance ends with you shooting the BBEG in the head, or one of your allies shoots him in the head if you take too long. After that, theres a couple post-game quests but none are really worth it in my opinion.

Yes the magic system should be improved, and they should introduce some sort of armour system.

Colmarr
2009-04-05, 06:42 PM
Is stupid...no final boss fight or anything. Your quest for vengeance ends with you shooting the BBEG in the head, or one of your allies shoots him in the head if you take too long. After that, theres a couple post-game quests but none are really worth it in my opinion.

I didn't mind that aspect of the ending. It felt ironic and fitting to me.

After all, Lucien did shoot you twice.

However, what really unsettled me was:

Theresa saying "The spire is mine. Begone". I'd suspected all along that she wasn't going to turn out rainbows and candy, but that ending made me wonder exactly who it was that I'd just put in charge of the most powerful magic item in the world...

Colmarr
2009-04-05, 06:43 PM
Yes the magic system should be improved, and they should introduce some sort of armour system.

I didn't miss the armour so much as I missed the appearance of armour.

I definitely wanted to be walking around in glowing plate again :smallsigh:

Arachu
2009-04-05, 07:10 PM
Yeah i miss platemail...

... And chainmail, for that matter

Anyone else wonder where the rest of the assassin gear went?

Dihan
2009-04-05, 08:06 PM
Into the DLC (I think). It's not too special, though.

d12
2009-04-06, 02:37 AM
I never really played the first Fable, but I've found Fable 2 to be a pretty fun game. I haven't actually gotten around to finishing up the game (I'm at the point in the plot where you first get to Bloodstone), but I do know what happens at the end (I just tend not to care about game spoilers I guess), and I think it's a pretty interesting ending. As far as Fable 3 goes and what could be done to improve on 2, here's what I've come up with:

1) Adjust difficulty a bit. Probably the most frequent complaint I've heard about Fable 2 is that it's too easy, and I'm inclinded to agree. Now, it typically takes quite a bit in order for me to say a game is too easy. I can understand the argument that the game's aiming for a large audience, including players who may be turned off by really intense difficulty (I know I am), but that's what difficulty levels are for.

2) Overall I like the way the magic system works, but I would have to agree that higher level spells take way too long to charge without Control Time. You more or less need Control Time in order to charge higher levels without losing oodles of health in the process.

3) Open map would be nice. I like to do a lot of exploring and having a big stretch of real estate to run around in.

4) Do something about the voice acting. A lot of it is just really irritating and sounds like random idiots pretending they know how to do various British accents. I don't spend a lot of time around Brits and so couldn't make a judgment call about how accurate the actors are but they're still annoying. Maybe just tone them down if nothing else.

5) Just have more to do in general. I like the occasional (for various definitions of "occasional") spontaneous dungeon crawl and there don't seem to be a lot of opportunities for stuff like that outside of re-treading the few (usually plot- or quest-related) areas.

6) Develop the game world some more. It just feels like the world the game takes place in doesn't have a whole lot of history to it. I know of references to another place (kingdom? principality?) called Samarkand (sp?)--ok, that's fine. Are there other places not mentioned yet? Any other nations friendly/hostile to Albion? What's the deal with demon doors? Stuff like that. Now, as previously stated, I never played the first game, and I don't know of the extent of the in-game literature (such that it is) in either game, so maybe some of that was addressed there, but from where I sit those seem to be unanswered questions. And the demon door issue in particular just bugs the hell out of me. :smallbiggrin:

7) I gotta agree with Yahtzee on this one, if it's fine for some dude to shoot my character when he/she's a kid, I should get to shoot kids. Turnabout's fair play. :smalltongue: Especially when alleys get clogged up with kids and various other townspeople and I happen to have an evil character.

8) Do something about how relationships work. If some strategic farting was all it took to get people to fall in love with you in real life I'd be rollin in babes. Now to be fair, I haven't actually had a ton of success using fart expressions as far as people falling in love with my character goes, but it does serve to illustrate the point. It's just way too easy to get entire towns wanting to marry you (Even The Guys Want Me (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvenTheGuysWantHim)). Also, if anybody has any tips for keeping a happy/very happy spouse from just up and divorcing you completely out of nowhere, I'd love to hear them. I go away for a couple days and news of my apparent divorce got to my destination before I did. :smallconfused:

9) Plot considerations: For being a pretty good game, Fable 2 has some gaping friggin plot holes. There's a pretty good enumeration here (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2105) (Danger, Will Robinson! Spoilers ahoy, just in case) for those interested. Would also be nice if the main story was long enough that you couldn't blow through it in an afternoon, but that seems to be a problem with games in general these days.

WitchSlayer
2009-04-06, 05:41 AM
I, too, want PC version. Heck, I'm still praying Fable 2 gets a PC port.

Avilan the Grey
2009-04-06, 05:43 AM
Only one thing: Write a plot arch that I don't have to kill myself for taking part in.
(Fallout 3's ending with plot holes is the best thing for 10000 years compared to Fable 2).

Crispy Dave
2009-04-06, 12:52 PM
well its not Fable 3 but they just announced a expansion for fable 2. check it out. (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/04/65138441/1)

Black Orc 2k8
2009-04-06, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=d12;5962933]4) Do something about the voice acting. A lot of it is just really irritating and sounds like random idiots pretending they know how to do various British accents. I don't spend a lot of time around Brits and so couldn't make a judgment call about how accurate the actors are but they're still annoying. Maybe just tone them down if nothing else.

They are british. If you read the credits it says Voice production by side uk ltd.

Nero24200
2009-04-06, 02:05 PM
While theres alot I liked about Fable 2, I felt it did have it's weaker points.

I really hated that certain character's were back even though the game is set a few hundread years after the first like...

Thersea being alive, as one aspect of the first game is that she would die if the player played his or her character as evil. But at the same time, it's also assumed Twin-Blade survives to built up the bandit coast into a town, even though that requires the player to go down the evil route

Though at the same time I think theres a vast number of improvments. Magic being one (and now not all characters use the exact same spells, I swear, almost everyone I know who played the first game always learned the Sheild spell as soon as possible). Combat's more dynamic, and shooting has a greater use (unlike the first, were shooting wasn't much of a viable option).

d12
2009-04-06, 06:35 PM
They are british. If you read the credits it says Voice production by side uk ltd.

Ok, then hire some voice actors that aren't colossal hams. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2009-04-06, 06:47 PM
Ok, then hire some voice actors that aren't colossal hams. :smalltongue:

The cartoony and somewhat over the top nature of the voice actors is probably supposed to be stylistic. It fits with the art and more humorous aspects of the game.

Honestly I feel the Fable series could be improved with a bit of realism and more of a dark theme (some people can work humor and seriousness into a single game- but that's a rare thing. I personally do not believe Fable manages it, though it is a better try than most), but as it is I can understand why they've done the voice acting that way.

Arachu
2009-04-06, 06:49 PM
I dunno what's with Theresa, but...

It doesn't assume Twinblade lived. If you buy Reaver's house, you learn that someone else destroyed Oakvale, and that same someone built Bloodstone.

d12
2009-04-06, 07:29 PM
The cartoony and somewhat over the top nature of the voice actors is probably supposed to be stylistic. It fits with the art and more humorous aspects of the game.

Honestly I feel the Fable series could be improved with a bit of realism and more of a dark theme (some people can work humor and seriousness into a single game- but that's a rare thing. I personally do not believe Fable manages it, though it is a better try than most), but as it is I can understand why they've done the voice acting that way.

Maybe I just don't respond to whimsy very well. Like that one Barnum guy. There's somebody in dire need of being kicked in the teeth until the stupid falls out of his head. So I guess I would be in agreement that the series could use a darker theme.

Trazoi
2009-04-06, 07:53 PM
I vehemently disagree on wanting a more realistic Fable. The bit about the series I like the most is the deliberate storybook charm entwined through the whole setting. That's why it's called Fable and not Generic Fantasy Game :smallwink:.

I'm more ambivalent about wanting a darker theme. If you mean it needs to be more serious and dramatic, I'd be against it. But if you mean more like something designed by Tim Burton, then that could be awesome.

For me, I'd want the next Fable to make the choice of combat styles you develop more distinct. I like the mix of melee, ranged and magic, but the games are designed so that it's extremely easy to max out all three, leading to really bland heroes. I'd prefer it if you had to pick one or two styles as your main area with the other as a backup.

I'd also like the more social aspects to be better integrated in with the rest of the game. Fable 2 was a vast improvement over the first game, but raising a family still felt very pointless. I'd have liked it if you could become more attached to a local community.

Fri
2009-04-06, 07:59 PM
I think if it got darker and edgier, it won't be fable anymore. Come on, fable was charming because it's tongue in cheek. Its failing (simplicity et al) is also acceptable because its tongue in cheekly setting. Darker and edgier fable, with angst, magic powered by virgin blood, would be just another action rpg. And its simplicity won't be a charm anymore.

Avilan the Grey
2009-04-07, 01:19 AM
Oh one more thing: I don't want to become Evil because I eat meat!

Colmarr
2009-04-07, 02:11 AM
I would have to agree that higher level spells take way too long to charge without Control Time. You more or less need Control Time in order to charge higher levels without losing oodles of health in the process.

I disagree with this.

While I personally made extensive use of Control Time, I generally found that I had more than enough time up my sleeve for level 4 and 5 spells so long as I cast a level 1 Raise Dead first.

The summoned ghosts usually lasted long enough to charge up a level 5 spell, and always lasted long enough for a level 4 spell.

If I was having trouble getting the ghosts to last long enough, I cast level 1 Raise Dead then immediately followed it with level 2 raise dead.

Ultimately, you only need the highest level slot filled with a damage spell, and the lower levels are there for delaying tactics IMO.

At end-game (and way before it), my default spell selections was:

5 - Inferno
4 - Push (I forget the name)
3 - Control Time
2 - Raise Dead
1 - Raise Dead

Push is at level 4 so that I can use it in areas near cliffs or on walkways. In those areas, the damage is less crucial than the throw effect. Having it at level 4 means I don't have to fiddle with it all the time. Normall baddies get Inferno. Baddies on cliffs get Push and I save a little time.

The only situations that I encountered that couldn't be solved solely with this spell setup were trolls and shards.

For both I put Control Time into slot 1, and relied on my ranged weapon to do damage, as level 5 spells took too long to charge, even with Control Time.

d12
2009-04-07, 05:21 AM
Hmm..it is true that Raise Dead can buy you some time, Colmarr. It occurred to me after reading your comment that I have generally used the two spells in conjunction and so I may not have a good idea about how much time you can get just from a good Raise Dead 1 or 2. For most situations I think I have levels 1 and 2 set for Control Time, 3 is Raise Dead, 4 is Shock, and 5 is either Shock or Inferno. On my next character I'll probably try out a couple other spell combinations though.

On the topic of trolls, is Raise Dead effective at distracting them? I ran into that one in Wraithmarsh and the ghosts did seem to have an effect, but I don't know if there was something else happening at the time as well.

Also re: Avilan's comment about eating meat, that totally slipped my mind. I eat so rarely that I forgot about that little irksome detail, though it gives corruption points, not evil (though shooting bunnies gets you evil if I remember right). Somebody on the team was apparently very into their little voluntary dietary restrictions, but I would like to assure them that I do not care what they do or don't eat, nor what they think about it.

Mystic Muse
2009-04-07, 05:53 AM
the problem with fable two was there was no boss fight and lucien was weak.

I actually kind of liked the immortals theme. Theresa was a very interesting character in fable 1 I thought and could never kill her for the sword of aeons.

one other things is they didn't really do anything with the graphics. that can be a good thing but I didn't like playing the same graphics from 2005. I realize graphics do not make a game but graphics is one fo the primary reason I quit runescape.

the magic system. spell levels required an insane amount of experience and there were only eight spells as compared to the first games eighteen.

the weapons. come on guns? if you want guns go play call of duty or resident evil. and they got rid of bows like skorm's bow. I WANT MY SKORMY BOW BACK!

the female didn't really look that great for a female character. a lot of the characters in the game look likee a supermodel compared to your character. while I realize women don't have to look hot and making them so is just objectifying them they should at least make the character a little bit attractive. and when it comes to looking good I'm usually very easy to please.

getting fat from eating too much food. come on does anybody really care about the game being realistic? YOU CAN SHOOT FRGGIN FIREBALLS! the fat system was pointless.

treasure chests. never a worthwile amount of money in them. I maximised blacksmithing and could get the same amount of money with a couple forgings of knives that even the best chests give you.

no augmentations. nuff said.

all weapons now suck

no armor. I want skorm and avo armor. I also miss walking around in black plate. black plate was awesome.

as has Been mentioned no PC release. it's more fun on computer for some reason. also you should eb able to skip the beginning tutorial.

okay I'm done ranting for now

Avilan the Grey
2009-04-07, 05:57 AM
Somebody on the team was apparently very into their little voluntary dietary restrictions, but I would like to assure them that I do not care what they do or don't eat, nor what they think about it.

It is Peter himself, AFAIK.

I must admit I have only played this on other people's machines and it didn't really feel right. Then I read Shamus' review(s) of it and I suddenly understood why I felt wrong playing it.

Colmarr
2009-04-07, 08:56 PM
On the topic of trolls, is Raise Dead effective at distracting them? I ran into that one in Wraithmarsh and the ghosts did seem to have an effect, but I don't know if there was something else happening at the time as well.

Yes and no.

In my experience, they do a relatively good job of switching the troll from "throw rocks" mode to "smash meleers" mode. In other words, they lower the incoming damage substantially.

They don't generally prove a great boon when it comes to getting the troll to expose its nerve endings. That's what Control Time and running around like the buggery is for.

Although having said that, I got the troll in Wraithmarsh down to its last nerve, and then spent 5+ minutes frustrated by the fact that I just could not expose it. Finally I chucked a targetted Raise Dead at the troll out of spite and was overjoyed when they appeared behind the troll, causing it to turn around to stomp them. One Control Time and a few pistol shots later and it was down.

Colmarr
2009-04-07, 09:02 PM
the female didn't really look that great for a female character. a lot of the characters in the game look likee a supermodel compared to your character. while I realize women don't have to look hot and making them so is just objectifying them they should at least make the character a little bit attractive. and when it comes to looking good I'm usually very easy to please.

While I don't agree with you that the female character was unattractive (my will user was good enough for me), this brings up a related point.

The Physique strength skill should not automatically make you look like the incredible hulk.

I went throught the entire game without purchasing a single rank, simply because I didn't want my female character becoming a square...

AmberVael
2009-04-08, 01:22 AM
Okay, to get back to what I was saying earlier-

Yes, it is meant to be a fairy tale story. I get that, and I like that.
But while a fairy tale has a certain charm and innocent novelty to it, what I'm attempting to say is that Fable has a certain style of humor to it which is rather distracting from the story and doesn't help the 'fable' quality to it at all.

No, I'm not looking for evil grim dark fantasy here, but it would be nice if the game took itself seriously and tried to make a fable rather than ruining it halfway through with random farting, chicken kicking, and just plain eye rolling stuff like that.

A fairy tale is best served not as humor and exaggerated goofiness, but as childlike wonder and mystery, along with touches of drama and seriousness which are surprisingly adult. Fable reaches for that latter path, but ends up fumbling it somewhere along the line.

Lerky
2009-04-08, 03:18 AM
I dunno. I say it should have closed with a final battle. As it is, it's sort of... Unsatisfying.

so many games recently have had a disatisfying end. Most regretable was Fallout 3 in my opinion. Barley even a boss battle. What happened to that epic climax battle where you have to combine all your exprinece you had just learned in the game to finally win!

Mewtarthio
2009-04-08, 02:17 PM
At least in Fallout 3 you spend the scene before the pushover final boss following a giant robot and destroying the entire Enclave. Plus you get the chance to make the bad guy surrender, which is always badass. Lastly, the final boss is so easy because you really are that powerful. In Fable 2, you beat the final boss because "destiny" gave you a MacGuffin with vaguely-defined powers that beat him for you. There's nothing remotely heroic about gunning down a defenseless old man, no matter how evil he is.

Actually, scratch that. I enjoyed killing Alistair Tenpenny in Fallout 3. Of course, in that case, I found someone willing to pay for his death, travelled to Tenpenny Tower myself, personally talked my way past the guards, then judged Tenpenny worthy of death and assigned myself the role of executioner. So, gunning down a defenseless old man can be heroic, provided you do so on your own initiative.

-----

Back on topic, my Fable 3 wishlist:

Some more quests, with some more complex prerequisites. Especially after the main quest ends: Fable 2 may boast that there's no reason to quit heroing after beating Lucien, but you can't really do anything except buy Castle Fairfax.
A few more ways to conclude a quest beyond the binary good/evil choice.
Include Reaver (he's immortal, after all). Then let us kill him. Slowly.
A bit less mood whiplash, please. If you want to have a character force the player to think about all the deaths they've caused, don't do so after they kill a comic relief villain named "Thag the Impatient."
In fact, keeping the funny:drama ratio more consistent overall would be a good thing. I felt like I was playing completely different games when I switched between the sidequests and the main quests. One minute, you're delivering incompotent summoners to their mothers, the next, "Mwahaha! I've murdered your entire family, and your little dog, too!"
Seriously, though, I want to smash that smug bastard's shooting hand, then chain him up in the town square so that all the citizens can laugh at him for the rest of his miserable life until the Shadow Court shows up and drags him back to hell where he belongs.
Maybe a few expressions that raise your "funny" meter that don't involve crude, puerile stunts like farting and belching.
Some more work on the romance system. Halfway through the game, every woman in Albion--and a few of the men, too--was begging me for a wedding ring.
Reaver must die.

That being said, though, it was actually a pretty fun game.

Stormthorn
2009-04-08, 05:36 PM
1) Adjust difficulty a bit. Probably the most frequent complaint I've heard about Fable 2 is that it's too easy, and I'm inclinded to agree. Now, it typically takes quite a bit in order for me to say a game is too easy. I can understand the argument that the game's aiming for a large audience, including players who may be turned off by really intense difficulty (I know I am), but that's what difficulty levels are for.

I thought the difficulty's problem was that it was uneven. At the start when you cant even block you could get pwnd if you say...take community service and fight the high level bandits in the cemetary as part of it. Thats what happened to me. Each one took me 30-50 hits to kill and they could knock me down in 3 hits.

Later on i once shot these guys like nobodies buisness.

Still, its only a minor complaint for me. I think difficulty levels would be a nice addition. Although a game like this can be made more difficult simply by not levleing up.

As for the ending of Fable 2.

I like boss fights. But if the story ends well and good without one (Oblivion) then im not going ot complain about not getting one.
I understand the need peopel have to fight a big monster but a story-based ending suits me just fine. I think it shows sings of games advancing as an artform. The developers resisted the temptation to have Lucien turn into a fifty-foot abomination with a missmatched set of wings and world ending powers to let the player know that the game is definatly ending here (something i have seen a few JRPGs do).

I hope the time-advancement trend will keep up and that Fable 3 will be set 300-500 years into the future. Perhaps the year 2100 in a world with magic. That would give the series a true and rare epic scope of storytelling.

Dihan
2009-04-08, 05:38 PM
I got a giggle out of the ending. I liked it.

KiwiImperator
2009-04-08, 05:48 PM
I think what Fable 2 could definitely have used was some good 'ol fashioned consistency. The game was fun, I liked it, despite its flaws (most of which only really come to light when you think about them too hard.) but I think that they should have stuck with either "quasi sci fi tragedy" or "parody of fantasy" throughout. The quests with Sam & Max was the best part of the game, I think.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-04-08, 06:05 PM
I got a giggle out of the ending. I liked it.

Hell yes. Same here.

Dihan
2009-04-08, 06:21 PM
Hell yes. Same here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Not every RPG has to finish with a huge, epic, climatic final boss. Fable 2's ending is a lot more memorable than a lot of other games.

Lucien deserved to be killed in the same way that he killed Rose and my doggy!... I also didn't want to give Stephen Fry Reaver the satisfaction of killing him.

Mewtarthio
2009-04-08, 08:00 PM
Not every RPG has to finish with a huge, epic, climatic final boss. Fable 2's ending is a lot more memorable than a lot of other games.

Lucien deserved to be killed in the same way that he killed Rose and my doggy!

It's not the lack of a climactic fight scene that I mind per se, it's just the lack of really any climax at all. You've spent your entire life training and fighting and adventuring, only to find that all you really have to do to beat the villain is pass a Lotus Eater Machine test and open a music box. It makes all that work you did seem kind of pointless. The ultimate quest of destiny you've been performing has been "convince three particular people to stand right there while you stand right here."

Worse, the Final Choice is extremely disappointing. "Family" is the only choice that's really worth taking. "Sacrifice" nets you no emotional reward at all; you just get a thank-you note and a statue. I was hoping you'd at least get to meet up with a grateful Bob again, but everyone just goes about their business as before. As for the other choice... you have virtually unlimited power at your disposal and you use it to get a million dollars? That's the ultimate in selfishness? Where's your creativity? Why not, "I wish for what Lucien was going to wish for, only with me in charge instead"? Or, if you're dead set on money, "I wish for an unlimited amount of gold" (added bonus: The player will soon realize on his own that buying everything isn't satisfying at all if you didn't work to get that money)?

Again, though, I actually did enjoy the game. The plot's a major problem, though. If this game had a stronger plot, it'd easily be an instant classic.

Trazoi
2009-04-08, 09:17 PM
About Fable 2's ending, especially Mewtarthio's spoiler. Also with spoilers for Fable 1:

I agree with your opinion. I honestly didn't mind the bit where you fell Lucien with a single shot. He's already defeated, so it felt right. It was the process of defeating him, where you essentially get a magic Deus Ex Machina box, stroll right up to him unopposed and zap him. The distinct lack of effort required combined with a lack of explanaiton was a let down.

Frankly, I felt the main plot of Fable 2 in general was quite weak; the ending especially so. That music box bit felt rushed, like the writers ran out of time and had to shoehorn any old thing in to finish it. That's a common complain I have with many RPGs, actually.

As per the bonus you can choose, I heartily agree. There's absolutely no point in choosing the greedy choice, as gold is nigh on worthless. Sacrifice can work from a character perspective, but since the family choice is the only one that offers a tangible gameplay benefit (gives you back your dog) it breaks the whole point of giving you a choice. I'd have liked a better, gameplay changing evil choice at the very least.

Of course, it could work if in the expansion pack you find out that Theresa was just screwing with you, offering you relatively pointless choices when you could have picked something so much better.

That whole choice rings of the one at the end of the first Fable, where you could kill your sister to gain the ubersword at the end. But if you have the expansion pack and you destroy the sword, you immediately are offered another, even beter sword first thing. I mean, why bother with evil if all you gain is villany points?

That's part of the reason why I never feel right playing an evil character in Fable or Fable 2. Neutral, yes, but evil completely destroys the sense of immersion. You're only being evil because you're an utter jerk. At least Reaver knew how to be evil with style.

Arachu
2009-04-10, 08:32 PM
Reaver must die.

Oh gods yes. After that crap he pulled, he should've been tied to horses, Mongol style. With salt involved :belkar:

As for ending,

It's not that capping the incessant bugger wasn't satisfying, it's that it was boring. All of that work, all of that tireless hunting, and you don't even get to fight your way to him, but shoot him. Once. If they had worked it in a different way, it would've been a far better ending, in this guy's opinion.

And, yes, I hope Reaver gets to meet my good friend Mr. Thumbscrew :xykon:
Or, wait, would it count as 'got'? It takes place in a parallel past... Meh, I say 'gets'.