PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Dave Arneson (was: Dave Arneson health note)

harami2000
2009-04-05, 03:17 PM
Trust y'all don't mind me posting this link (http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=blackmoor&action=display&thread=2020&page=1) here rather than in "General".
It was, after all, Dave who took Gary Gygax on a tour of his new game back in late-1971/1972 which is why this is all here, one way or another. (Blackmoor also being where the whole idea of adventuring in "dungeons" originated, as well as the first campaign setting...).

=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Arneson

Regards,
David.

============

edit/update: It was initially updated incorrectly elsewhere on the web that Dave had died, but has since been confirmed afresh by family members (http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=blackmoor&action=display&thread=2028&page=1) that he passed away soon after being taken to the hospice.
R.I.P. Mr. Arneson. :smallfrown:

Shortly after 11pm on Tuesday, April 7th, Dave Arneson passed away. He was comfortable and with family at the time and his passing was peaceful.

The Arneson family would like to thank everyone for their support over the last few days, and for the support the entire community has shown Dave over the years.

We are in the process of making final arrangements and will provide additional details as we work them out. We will continue to receive cards and letters in Dave's honor. We are planning to hold a public visitation so that anyone wishing to say their goodbye in person has the opportunity to do so.

Cards and letters can continue to be sent:
Dave Arneson
1043 Grand Avenue
Box #257
St. Paul, MN

Visitation will be on April 20th
Time: yet to be determined
Address:
Bradshaw Funeral Home
687 Snelling Avenue South
St. Paul, MN 55105

bosssmiley
2009-04-06, 05:38 AM
Those who know enough to care probably already know. :smallfrown:

edit: Yeah, that was probably a little curt of me. Sorry for that.

Wishing the best for Mr Arneson and his poor family right now.

"Ok, Agents Gygax, Arneson and Bledsaw. You go down to the planet below us and show the Earthlets the secret wisdom their primitive society obviously needs. We'll be back to pick you up before it all goes kablooey in 2012." (pace Bill Hicks on Hendrix)

Ethdred
2009-04-06, 07:11 AM

Well I care, and I didn't know already, so thanks for the heads-up.

I never want to get into the whole 'who really invented D&D' argument, because I don't think we can really judge at this distance, but I've always seen it as a joint thing and Dave never seemed to get as much credit as EGG. I didn't even realise he had cancer. Not a lot I can do about it sat in front of a computer, but puts my current cold into perspective....

kjones
2009-04-06, 07:29 AM
Damn, and it's only been a year since Gary died.

Too good for this sinful Earth, I guess...

Another_Poet
2009-04-06, 10:30 AM
That's terrible news. Anyone know what kind of cancer he has?

ap

harami2000
2009-04-06, 07:41 PM

edit: Yeah, that was probably a little curt of me. Sorry for that.
Thanks for the edit. Well, not that many knew the details, I expect, but of those who did the majority were under the impression that things were holding for now rather than that sudden turn for the worse, since Dave had been fairly active around-and-about the fora until a couple of weeks ago. But then, the same went for Gary back last year. :/

I never want to get into the whole 'who really invented D&D' argument, because I don't think we can really judge at this distance, but I've always seen it as a joint thing and Dave never seemed to get as much credit as EGG.
*nods*. Neither the time nor place for that "debate" although it's safe to say that a large number of people were involved in getting the hobby on its feet in one way or another, many of whom got "raw deals" and the majority of whom are pretty much "forgotten about", sadly. (Where is our "Who's who?"/"history"...?). Dave is definitely a central figure to all that, though, and politics or no politics we're all equal in the end, eh?

I didn't even realise he had cancer. Not a lot I can do about it sat in front of a computer, but puts my current cold into perspective....
Mhmm... similar feelings here.

Anyhow; one more update copied over from the other board and should anyone wish to act on that, please feel free.
Bob Meyers (another of the original Blackmoor participants (http://blackmoor.mystara.us/originalp.html)) who's in touch with Dave and his family left the following message just now.

Thank you for all of your messages of sympathy and support. It has been decided that the forum is a good way for everyone to support David and his family, and allow everyone to express their feelings while respecting his privacy. The family and I will be monitoring the postings, and they will share them with David as they are able to do so.
Seems sensible to be monitoring just that one board (http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=blackmoor&action=display&thread=2020&page=1) specifically, I guess...

Best wishes,
David.

Atamasama
2009-04-06, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the news. First I heard of it and I really do care.

First Gary, then Dave... It's sad, but I hope that both of them have realized how much joy their creation has brought to so many people over the years.

hamishspence
2009-04-07, 04:01 PM
I wonder if there will be an Arneson OOTS tribute strip like the Gygax one? Probably not, since Gygax was much better known. Still, would be nice.

Atamasama
2009-04-07, 06:16 PM
Dave did pass away today, just in case anyone didn't catch it.

Saint Nil
2009-04-07, 06:25 PM
:smalleek:

arguskos
2009-04-07, 06:26 PM
Rest in Peace Dave Arneson, may you and Gary roll 3d6 forever in peace. :smallfrown:

harami2000
2009-04-07, 06:59 PM
Dave did pass away today, just in case anyone didn't catch it.
The earlier "reliable source" was apparently relying on false information (see http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/04/dave-arneson-is-still-with-us.html ).
His family has just posted the following on http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=blackmoor&thread=2028&page=1#28367 to clarify the current situation.
As of this writing, Dave is still with us. We have moved him into a facility where we can focus on keeping him comfortable. We have been and will continue to watch the forums and blogs and are passing along everyone's thoughts and prayers. Right now our focus is on getting Dave into the best possible position to maintain his comfort and his dignity. We will update the community as we can. We want to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers and ask that you continue to send Dave your support in whatever form that means to you.

An address has been established to receive messages to Dave.

Dave Arneson
1043 Grand Avenue
Box #257
St. Paul, MN
Please feel free to send and/or post on the previously-noted (http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=blackmoor&action=display&thread=2020&page=1) thread over there as the best way to pass on any messages, should you wish (+thx to Atama', above, and one other from here).

d.

Roderick_BR
2009-04-08, 11:21 AM
Damn, that sucks majorly :smallfrown:

bosssmiley
2009-04-08, 03:20 PM
Eastertide. Not the first time that kind of thing has caught people out. :smallwink:

harami2000
2009-04-08, 06:59 PM
Eastertide. Not the first time that kind of thing has caught people out. :smallwink:
Well, wasn't much longer as things turned out, and sadly no mistake this time as was sourced directly from the family...

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/04/sadly-this-is-accurate.html

I just received an email directly from Dave Arneson's family, who asked me to share the following:

Shortly after 11pm on Tuesday, April 7th, Dave Arneson passed away. He was comfortable and with family at the time and his passing was peaceful.

The Arneson family would like to thank everyone for their support over the last few days, and for the support the entire community has shown Dave over the years.

We are in the process of making final arrangements and will provide additional details as we work them out. We will continue to receive cards and letters in Dave's honor. We are planning to hold a public visitation so that anyone wishing to say their goodbye in person has the opportunity to do so.

Cards and letters can continue to be sent:
Dave Arneson
1043 Grand Avenue
Box #257
St. Paul, MN

Visitation will be on April 20th
Time: yet to be determined
Address:
Bradshaw Funeral Home
687 Snelling Avenue South
St. Paul, MN 55105

Farewell, Mr Arneson; you will be missed. I hope that, at the very least, yesterday's outpouring of affection for you and your contributions to our hobby cheered you in your final hours. You were one of a kind.

Rest in peace, Dave... :frown:

Shadowbane
2009-04-08, 07:43 PM
Rest in peace, Dave. Thanks for Blackmoor and all you did.

Thurbane
2009-04-08, 09:45 PM
I hadn't heard this, very sad news indeed. :smallfrown:

My condolences to his family and friends. He was truly one of the legends of the RPG industry.

The Giant
2009-04-09, 01:38 AM
I wonder if there will be an Arneson OOTS tribute strip like the Gygax one? Probably not, since Gygax was much better known. Still, would be nice.

I'm thinking about it; if I get an idea tonight or tomorrow, I may do one, whether people know who he is or not. I already put up a News announcement.

Matthew
2009-04-09, 01:41 AM
That would be fitting, I think. It has been a sad last few hours.

arguskos
2009-04-09, 02:06 AM
Rest in Peace Dave Arneson, may you and Gary roll 3d6 forever in peace. :smallfrown:
Now, it really applies! Good bye Dave. You helped inspire us all. :smallsmile:

Wizzardman
2009-04-09, 02:18 AM
Now, it really applies! Good bye Dave. You helped inspire us all. :smallsmile:

Right. I see no reason not to turn this into a "Goodbye Dave" thread, so, unless someone stops me, I think I shall do so.

Goodbye, Dave. You really gave us something special. Wherever you are now, I hope you know how much we appreciate what you've given us.

harami2000
2009-04-09, 02:22 AM
I'm thinking about it; if I get an idea tonight or tomorrow, I may do one, whether people know who he is or not. I already put up a News announcement.
Thank you for that, Richard, for that announcement and for your consideration as to any further tribute, whether that's workable or not.
As you and Matthew both noted, it has been yet another sad time for our hobby and thoughts with those who have lost loved ones who contributed greatly to that, whether well known or not. (And it's not even just been Dave, alone, in the past 24 hours (http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2034&page=1)). :smallfrown:
Too many names barely known at all, IMHO, even within the RPG and wargaming communities far less to the public media.

Have been updating Dave's Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Arneson) quite a bit over the past couple of days and still more to do on that (would've been better done sooner, but tribute of a sort I guess... :? ). Maybe I could even make a point to schedule in a game of "Adventures in Fantasy". Heck, once in a lifetime... why not? :smallsmile:

Kind regards & Best wishes,
David.

harami2000
2009-04-09, 02:26 AM
Right. I see no reason not to turn this into a "Goodbye Dave" thread, so, unless someone stops me, I think I shall do so.
Seems fitting, thanks... Thread title changed.

Dacia Brabant
2009-04-09, 02:47 AM
Wow, I didn't even know he was seriously ill, so this is sad news indeed, and only 61 too. I wish Mr. Arneson's family well and may he rest in peace.

RandomFellow
2009-04-09, 02:51 AM
Well..this is depressing.

The people related to my hobbies seem to be dropping like flies lately.

Robert Jordan, Gary Gygax, and now Dave.

:smallfrown:

SoD
2009-04-09, 02:56 AM
Geez...now I feel awful. Again. I'm feeling bad that I didn't even know who he was until I read the thread, which makes me feel bad that I feel bad about that, possibly more than I do about his passing, which I do feel bad about...well...not much I can really say. I hope he and Gygax are already thinking up an idea for a co-dm'ed game.

Killer Angel
2009-04-09, 03:32 AM

I like to think that Gygax needed some help to teach angels how to play properly a non-paladin character.
Indeed, its' a sad day, my eyes are glistening with tears.

Vargtass
2009-04-09, 03:33 AM
Rest in peace, Dave Arneson. Thanks for the inspiration and your creativity. We're indepted, and now at a loss.

vegetalss4
2009-04-09, 03:43 AM
goodbye Dave.
I hadn't heard about you before just now, But now i know that i owe you a good deal of my happy times.
rest in peace

lesser_minion
2009-04-09, 03:55 AM
This is pretty terrible news.

Goodbye Dave, you will be missed.

Swordguy
2009-04-09, 03:55 AM

I'd love to see Gygax and the archon and Roy having waited for Dave before they get started and welcoming him to the table. A reconciliation of sorts.

I didn't know Dave as well as I knew Gary - my uncle introduced me to both of them at various Cons, but I never saw much of Dave. He seemed a nice guy, and it makes me sad that his legacy was diminished. In any case, all the thanks I had for Gary, I have equally for you. You've helped make other people happy, and I can't thank you enough for that.

banjo1985
2009-04-09, 04:14 AM
RIP Dave Arneson. Thanks for the game sir, and for all the good times. My respects to his family and anyone affected closely by the news.

Thrud
2009-04-09, 04:29 AM
Damn, that sucks.

Thanks for for all the fun D&D has provided me through the years.

RIP Dave.

Kaiyanwang
2009-04-09, 04:34 AM
RIP Dave.

Thank you for everything.

Morty
2009-04-09, 09:28 AM
And now, D&D - and the tabletop gaming as a whole - has lost both of its fathers. A truly sad day.

Fawsto
2009-04-09, 12:35 PM
My my...

... Mr Arneson is responsible for 90% of my hours of entertainment. From table RPG to any other games developed that retrace to the basis of what Mr Arneson invented, I am only capable of saying: Thank you.

Mr Gygax and you are heroes to every gamer in the world, I hope you are having a good game right now, just don't let Gandhi play the Monk, ok?

mikej
2009-04-09, 12:53 PM
That's terrible, he'll be greatly missed. Condolences to his family and friends. He helped create a game that has brought enjoyment to people all over the world, thank you for everything.

harami2000
2009-04-10, 12:29 AM
aside: Amy Forliti of the Associated Press has produced a well-written tribute, IMO, including insightful comments from his daughter; http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D97FB24G0 (and elsewhere to follow)

Not totally forgotten by the media...

d.

Kioran
2009-04-10, 01:39 AM
Hmmm - the unsung hero, the mechanical game designer. Thank you, Mr. Arneson. From the bottom of my heart. Your life's work is the basis for much of the fun I am having, and apparently, you shared the love, so to speak, even teaching students and kids. I, among others, respectfully remove the hat, and bow. The rest is silence.

Silent Hunter
2009-04-10, 05:37 AM
A true unsung hero, that's for sure.

Rest In Peace.

BlueWizard
2009-04-10, 05:47 AM
The BlueWizard will remove his hood in honor. And kneels and prays thanks to his creation.

kjones
2009-04-10, 07:46 AM
There will be an empty chair set out at my next session, and we will roll the traditional 21d20 salute.

Dave, whether or not you realized it, you touched a whole lot of lives. Thank you.

Caedrus
2009-04-10, 08:18 AM
Two fine gentlemen, equals, and (to me) heroes.

Dave, Gary: Thank You and Farewell.

C.

Telonius
2009-04-10, 04:08 PM
CNN actually picked up on this (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/04/10/obit.david.lance.arneson/index.html). RIP, Dave.

WaterTengu
2009-04-10, 04:27 PM
damn, another one failed a fortitude save. Well, it had to happen eventually.

May the gods bless their souls.

harami2000
2009-04-11, 12:44 AM
CNN actually picked up on this (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/04/10/obit.david.lance.arneson/index.html). RIP, Dave.
And on the BBC, too ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7994444.stm ), albeit buried lower down in the Entertainment section, several days late. And despite that, currently #3 on the "most read articles" list for the whole of their News website.

I guess that says something, eh? :smallsmile:

Is good to know that there should be fewer people five years down the line going "darn, I didn't know he was dead" or even "who was he...?". :smallfrown:

=
[edit] ...and finally made the front page.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3361/3431117832_0b31e93e67_o.jpg

Still very sad, and at that posthumous acclaim relative to being "just one of the guys" hanging out and sharing on the boards a few weeks back, as Dave was.

Respectfully,
David.

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 07:34 AM
:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:

Jane_Smith
2009-04-11, 07:48 AM
Their legacy will be remembered forever, they gained a form of immortality by their work. They inspired more games and entertainment then any actor or actress, tv show or movie, or simple board game has ever accomplished, and for their work im grateful. May they rest in peace now their campaign is over... :smallfrown:

LibraryOgre
2009-04-11, 11:30 AM
"Thus the first generation begins to pass and the second generation mourns while the third barely understands and generations in the future will not know." -Xeno