PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to run a campaign

Magnor Criol
2009-04-05, 06:38 PM
I'm getting ready to run a campaign for the first time here in a couple days. I'm running Red Hand of Doom; I've been reading the several campaign journals that have sprung up from other people playing it, perused the DMG and the stickied DM advice thread up top, and all that jazz. Overall, I'm a bit nervous, but I feel like it'll go alright. I'm with friends, after all.

I do have some questions, though. It looks like we may have up to six people playing at once - two more than the campaign was designed for. What's a good rule of thumb for how much to add to an encounter to compensate?

Second, I thought I heard about a feat that counts as Dodge for prereq purposes, but sucks at least a little less; but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know of this feat, or am I mis-remembering? If it's not there, is there a simple houserule I can use that makes it less of a bitter pill?

If anyone happens to have any random bits or pieces of advice for me, feel free to throw them my way, I'm always eager for tips.

arguskos
2009-04-05, 06:44 PM
I've heard of these elusive Dodge alternates, but can't find them either. I typically just say Dodge grants a continuous +1 dodge bonus to AC. So far, it's not been an issue. :smallsmile:

lsfreak
2009-04-05, 06:45 PM
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but in ToB is Desert Wind Dodge. Adds +1 dodge as long as you move 10 feet, and also adds 1 point of fire damage to all attacks (and requires one maneuver).

Magnor Criol
2009-04-05, 07:19 PM
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but in ToB is Desert Wind Dodge. Adds +1 dodge as long as you move 10 feet, and also adds 1 point of fire damage to all attacks (and requires one maneuver).

I did find that guy. We're not running ToB though; none of us feel like amping things up like that yet, particularly me, as a new DM, who will have enough to trip up on without thrown in the complications of maneuvers and such. :smalltongue:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-05, 09:02 PM
How new are your players? I would recomend adding, depeding on their level of experiance:

1st Timers: Don't change the module. Its hard enough anyway, and new players tend to get attached to their characters.

Familiar with the Rules: Multiply the number of creatures in each encounter by 1.5, rounding down. For example, 10 lizardfolk become 20, 5 elves become 7...

Dedicated Min-Maxers: Double the monsters (excluding single monsters), and bump up the level/CR of single monsters by 2. This campaign is designed to kill players, and as a New DM, you need some help.

kjones
2009-04-05, 09:42 PM
Am I correct in thinking that when you say "campaign journals", you mean mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100257) and Saph's? (Don't know if there were others.)

I ran through the first two chapters of Red Hand of Doom with up to eight players at a session, and I mention some of the difficulties (and modifications I made to compensate) in the linked thread. As far as "general rules of thumb"... six is difficult, it's right on the cusp from "small" to "large". It really depends on how you'd rate the average power level of the party - could you tell us more about the PCs you'll be playing with?

For the most part, you'll probably be ok as-is - many of the Red Hand encounters are very challenging already, and will scale fine to six players. Your biggest concern should be monsters against single opponents, where the action advantage held by the party becomes more of a problem. Consider adding in minions, mitigating terrain (like the marsh for the hydra) or simply doubling the encounter size, if you don't think it will boost the difficulty too high.

My overall advice would be to run the module unmodified for the first session or two, or perhaps to prepare modified encounters but not necessarily use them. You'll get a better feel of your party's strengths and weaknesses, and be able to judge accordingly.

Above all, good luck, and have fun! Red Hand of Doom is without a doubt the best module I've ever run - feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it, or about DMing in general.

d13
2009-04-05, 10:47 PM
I'm preparing to run the same campaign... I may write a Journal here, if I feel like it, so I'll be reading this thread in order to steal some ideas :smallamused:

Anyway... Just bumping in to:

Familiar with the Rules: Multiply the number of creatures in each encounter by 1.5, rounding down. For example, 10 lizardfolk become 20, 5 elves become 7...

Emphasis mine.

Your maths have failed... Quite hard, I'd say :smalltongue:

Kol Korran
2009-04-06, 01:32 PM
most of the encounters of hand of doom are with multiple creatures (bar the dragon encounters, whcih are with but one or two). these could be easely adjust like this: you multiply by 1.5, and then:
- if you come to realise that the encounter is still to weak: reinforcments have just arrived, preferably in the form of cavalry (goblins on worgs/wolves for example)
- if you come to realise the encoutner is way too deadly: after some impressive move of a player, or a spell, or anything impressive. some of the enemies cower and run, thus reducing the encounter to a reasonable size.

for solo creatures, prepare to add minions, or summoned creatures to occupy the multitude of actions the party has. and of course, a potion of haste never hurt anyone. it could even be standard gear for the more importent members of the hoard :smallwink:

just rememeber- it's ok for some encounters to be hard, and some easy- it adds to the unpredectibility of the game. so unless things are going to be truly one sided, i wouldn't worry too much.

another thing to consider is the deadliness of the campaign. as the journals by Kjones and Saph have mentioned, RhoD can become realy deadly in the mid and late chapters, unless the characters are quite carefull and tactfull. if these are new players, who realy get attached to their characters and don't wish to create a new character every session or two (or 3), prepare to either ease down the hardship, or play the enemies dumber than they should be (which i'm REALY against. players like to feel they are facing equals).

other than that- good luck, and remember- do what's fun!
Kol