Abilities: Str 6, Dex 23, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 16
Skills: Concentration +5, Hide +10, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting
Climate/Terrain: Temporal Energy Plane
Organization: Solitary or Charge (3-12)
Challenge Rating: Currently unsure
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 5 HD (small), 6-12 HD (Medium)

A Chronnour, pronounced "Crone-nour," with the second syllable rhyming with "hour," is a strange creature made up of pure time. They are animalistic sprits of the temporal energy plane and are often mistaken for inanimate parts of the winds of time there; they appear as a wispy material of dusty brown, constantly shifting in form, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. When damaged, they bleed yellowish flashes of energy in intermittent pulses. While there, they feed off the dust of dead civilizations and passed times, but are occasionally, by more learned summoners, brought to the Material Plane for specific tasks. These tasks are almost always fatal, but the process of bending them to a mage's will is aided by their lack of intelligence.

Combat: Chonnours seldom engage in direct combat, preferring to use their spell-like abilities, or to simply hide in place. They take full advantage of their flight, but their tactics are simple and animalistic.

Detonate (su): Once a Chronnour is damaged, it becomes unstable. 1d4+1 rounds after it first takes damage, on its turn, it detonates. This kills the Chronnour, and causes all creatures and objects in a sphere with a radius of 10 feet plus 5 feet per 5 remaining HP of the Chronnour (if the Chronnour's HP total is negative when this happens, reduce the radius accordingly) to suffer the effects of Temporal Stasis, as a psionic effect (Manifester level 14; advanced creatures use 10+hit dice). This sphere of stasis cannot be entered by any means; a DC 15 reflex save allows a creature on the edge of the sphere to leave it as it forms; this save DC is charisma-based. A creature that succeeds at its save moves out to outside the sphere; it must take this move (as a 5' step or part of a move action) on its next turn. On the round before it detonates, a Chronnour is highly unstable; all creatures within 2 feet per hit point of the Chronnour are Hasted, as the spell, and the Chronnour's instability is visible; it pulses and flares with temporal energy.

Evasion (ex): A Chronnour takes is not affected by an effect that normally allows a reflex save for half damage, on a successful save.

Immune to Time Effects (ex): Due to the large concentration of time in it, a Chronnour is unaffected by time effects, such as a Haste, Slow, or Temporal Stasis spell, instead healing 1d8 HP per spell level, plus 1 HP per caster level (maximum 5 per spell level) when affected by such magic. One notable exception is Time Stop, which it can "piggyback" on, also entering the faster timestream, whenever it is cast within 300 feet.

Obscurity (ex): Due to the little-known nature of the plane of time, a Chronnour is more obscure than its hit dice would indicate, causing any Knowledge check to identify it or determine its powers to suffer a -10 penalty. A check that fails by 5 or less tells that it is native to the Temporal Energy Plane, as does one that fails by 10 or less to identify it on its home plane.

Psi-like abilities: At will: Haste, Slow (DC 16, as the spells). 3/day: Time Hop (DC 16). 1/day: Quintessence. Manifester level 4 (equal to hit dice if advanced); save DCs are charisma based.

Temporal Dodge (su): When hit for at least half of its remaining HP in damage, a Chronnour may attempt a reflex save (DC = damage done) as an immediate action; on a successful save, it dodges the attack by stepping into the timestream (the attack has no effect on it). It re-enters the universe one round later exactly where it was, as per the Time Hop power. Time did not pass for it while in a Temporal Dodge, so if it was to detonate in one round, it detonates one round after its return. This can apply to spells, melee attacks, and ranged attacks.

martyboy74
2006-08-11, 02:09 PM
What happens if you encase it in quintessence?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-11, 02:36 PM
You mean while its ticking? I guess you'd delay its detonation.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 08:24 PM
Man, that'll be fun. Find one of these, poke it for 1 damage, then encase it in quintessence the round before it explodes. Then take it to the BBEG.

"Hey, big bad evil genius! Catch this!"
"Huh, what's this... AAAAAAAAAH!"

Then there's an explosion, BBEG is frozen in time no save,, yay... those things are fun. :D

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-11, 08:30 PM
Coating it in Quintessence like that could work, except that it isn't a mindless thing; it has animal intelligence. You'll have to coat a struggling little piece of time; it can Time Hop out of your grip, Slow you, and do all manner of nasty things.

Might add that they hate the feel of (others') Quintessence on them, and try to scrape it off themselves, too.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 08:33 PM
Who says you need to grab them? Stick a bunch of quintessence in a blowgun and splatter it over em.

Problem solved! :D

Winged One
2006-08-11, 08:35 PM
Isn't Quintessence a time effect anyway, making it a moot point?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-11, 08:42 PM
Interesting point. So, either it doesn't work (meaning you can't use these things as grenades, which is good), or it's a special exception.

I guess it just absorbs any Quintessence smeared on it into its body for 5d8+Manifester Level hit points.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 09:02 PM
Noooooooooo! I like my temporal time bombs!

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-11, 09:04 PM
It's not much of a time bomb if it doesn't tick. Without Quintessence, it ticks. Covered in the stuff, it's more of a grenade.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 09:15 PM
Meh. I like my temporal grenades.

Guess I'll have to settle for a heck of a lot of delayed blast fireballs in quintessence...

Fax Celestis
2006-08-19, 04:06 PM
The Detonate ability is rather oddly worded. Reword it, and this'll get a MitP: Yes vote.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-23, 10:40 AM
Wow, freaking awesome. I love it. And personally, the wording of the ability is fine by me.

MitP vote: Yes.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-26, 07:20 AM
Detonate (Su): Once a Chronnour is damaged, it becomes unstable. 1d4+1 rounds after it first takes damage, on its turn, it detonates. This kills the Chronnour, and causes all creatures and objects in a sphere with a radius equal to one foot per remaining hit point of the Chronnour above -10 to suffer the effects of Temporal Stasis, as a psionic effect (Manifester level 14; advanced creatures use 10+hit dice). This sphere of stasis cannot be entered by any means; a DC 15 reflex save allows a creature on the edge of the sphere to leave it as it forms; this save DC is charisma-based. A creature that succeeds at its save moves out to outside the sphere; it must take this move (as a 5' step or part of a move action) on its next turn. On the round before it detonates, a Chronnour is highly unstable; all creatures within 2 feet per hit point of the Chronnour are Hasted, as the spell, and the Chronnour's instability is visible; it pulses and flares with temporal energy.

How about this?

Detonate (Su): Once a Chronnour is damaged, it becomes unstable. 1d4+1 rounds after it first takes damage, on its turn, it detonates. This kills the Chronnour, and causes all creatures and objects in a sphere with a radius of one foot per each remaining hit point plus 10 feet to suffer the effects of temporal Stasis, as a psionic effect (Manifester Level 14; advanced creatures use 10+hit dice). This sphere of stasis cannot be entered by any means; a DC 15 Reflex save allows a creature on the edge of the sphere to leave it as it forms; this save DC is Charisma-based. A creature that succeeds at its save moves out to outside the sphere; it must take this move (as a 5' step or part of a move action) on its next turn. On the round before it detonates, a Chronnour is highly unstable; all creatures within 2 feet per hit point of the Chronnour are hasted, as the spell, and the Chronnour's instability is visible; it pulses and flares with temporal energy.

Same as Fax - Make that change, and you'll get a MitP Vote: Yes.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-26, 01:05 PM
Right. I'll add in that change.

Peregrine
2006-08-26, 01:49 PM
How's that name pronounced again? Cronauer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning,_Vietnam)? (Incidentally you spell it Chonnour several times, including at the very top.)

The mechanics look good to me. I think the flavour text could use with some polishing. For instance, just what sort of useful things can they do that get them brought to the Material Plane?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-26, 02:14 PM
Pronounciation: I gave that at the beginning. Yes, I guess it's the same as the word you gave, but it's a different word, hence different spelling.

As for useful things they can do, they can be used to create Quintessence, and, of course, to time-freeze areas. Basically, they're beasts of burden that are brought in to stop time for things.