PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Illusions!

Jalor
2009-04-05, 07:41 PM
You know how Elan always does that illusion of a female version of whatever monster he is fighting? The illusion that always fails, thereby becoming a running joke? It actually works once in a while...

During today's session, our 1st-level party came upon an orc guarding a door. Not wanting to alert other lurking monsters, our rogue hoped to sneak attack it. Sensing an opportunity, I cast Silent Image. Making a sexy orc. My illusion succeeded in distracting it long enough for the rogue to kill it. Without alerting the next room of orcs.

Has anyone else done crazy things with illusions in their games? Bonus points if it ends up working better than a combative spell of the same level.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-05, 07:46 PM
Killer Gnome: How to solo Balors with silent image.

Graymayre
2009-04-05, 07:47 PM
I had already posted this in the Funny Gaming Stories (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108405)thread. I don't want to repost it, but its incredibly relevant to this thread.

Our party consisted of a Warforged (fighter), a human (Artificer, that's me!) another human (paladin of the silver flame) and a [race not found] (ranger).

We went out into the can-you-believe-the-ratio-of-normal-animals-to-f***ing-monsters Woods around Sharn, to find a band of brigands that were robbing the local area.

When we got to their camp, the warforged and I concoct a brilliant scheme! I glamer his body to look like a human's (yes, I made sure clothing was in the illusion). Then I readied a scroll of enlarge person.

The warforged ambled lazily into the center of the camp and made sure the highwaymen noticed him. Then, he deactivated the glamer by ripping at his chest, the illusion came off as if he was shedding his skin. As he did that, I used my scroll on him.

The robbers looked in horror as the warforged ripped off his human skin and grew to twice his height.

In a fit of rage he screamed "I AM THE FLESHWEARER!" points at thug leader "YOU WILL BE MY NEW SKIN!"

They ran in horror, we chased, priceless. :smallamused:

Paramour Pink
2009-04-05, 08:55 PM
...the fleshwearer story. L-m-a-o. It's perfect. But...at the same time...I feel so bad for the bandits. That has to be Ravenloft-level horror. :smalleek:

chiasaur11
2009-04-05, 09:18 PM
...the fleshwearer story. L-m-a-o. It's perfect. But...at the same time...I feel so bad for the bandits. That has to be Ravenloft-level horror. :smalleek:

Actually, it seems the smart thing to do is let at least one of them get away to tell the tale.

Means you get some good old fashioned fear going one, and who knows, one day maybe you'll get enough insane cults to ascend to godhood. (And better a decent enough warforged than whoever would shoot for whatever portfolio is covered by flesh thieves).

Jalor
2009-04-07, 08:34 PM
Wow. That fleshwearer thing is beyond epic.

Yesterday, one of the members of our group was leafing through the PHB and came across Prismatic Wall. "Hey, you could make an illusion of one of these. They would never dare to cross it!" From there we sort of brainstormed, and we have determined that the best creature to pretend to summon with an illusion is a Medusa. The logic there is that they only ever get one chance at a save, because then they avoid looking at it or "interacting" with it.

Chronos
2009-04-07, 10:01 PM
The mage utters an arcane incantation, and a rift opens in the sky above you. Eldritch tentacled horrors descend from the seething chaos beyond, and you watch as one engulfs the head of each of your companions. And now, all you see is inky blackness as the last of them reaches you.

Silent Image, of course. The practical upshot is that as long as the wizard concentrates on it, none of the engulfed folks can see unless they make their saves. You could get the same effect with simple black spheres, but this is so much more stylish, don't you agree?

Valentyne
2009-04-07, 10:14 PM
As a twist i remember playing a gnome illusionist back in 2E. At one point, to distract a guard, he created an illusion of the guard's mother exiting a local brothel and wearing very scanty clothing...