PDA

View Full Version : Kythons [3.0 / 3.5]

RagnaroksChosen
2009-04-05, 07:48 PM
Yep those things from the BoVD that look like zerg/nid's. I was thinking about running a game with them as the main antagonists. I wanted to know what people thought of them? Has any one run them? Is there any errata on them (as it is 3.0)? Any one have any recommendations about it?

SilverClawShift
2009-04-05, 08:37 PM
Oh god. The horror.

Our groups regular DM knows that if he throws Kythons at us again, we're all going to start kicking him in the shins until rocks fall and kill all the kythons. Kythons are fast, scary, deadly, and just as smart you. They're bad news.

I say do it, and be ruthless about it :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-05, 08:54 PM
Yay, that was the best thread ever!

Colmarr
2009-04-05, 08:57 PM
My only comment is that they just don't feel fantasy to me. Probably too much exposure to Aliens and Warhammer 40k.

Of course, you could play up on that by having a "Final Fantasy: Spirits Within" type of campaign where the Kythons come from a meteorite that crashed into your world.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-04-05, 09:02 PM
Im thinking some type of cult unleashed them...

Its gonna be a home brew world i think im going to use them and the dylkar from Ebberon in this would ... not sure though, Got like three session's or so to finish up my other campain and then move onto this one...

Its a three person group. I don't plan on being nice about these guys i was amazed at there intelegance. Which made me happy.

Edit:
SilverClawShift: I saw some of your stories on here. I think one about binders... Kinda part of the insperation for this? Do you know if your gm did any of the folowing?

Gave kythons class levels
Had any trouble converting them from 3.0 to 3.5?

Thurbane
2009-04-05, 09:24 PM
I always get these guys mixed up with the Kruthiks from the Miniatures Handbook...

http://www.zikadik.com/shadowfell/kruthik.jpg

LoneStarNorth
2009-04-05, 09:40 PM
I've used them once so far and have plans to make greater use of them in the future. I think that they might be more powerful than their CR suggests, especially in groups, but I could be wrong; it was awhile back and I can't remember if my players were just using crappy tactics or what.

The fluff for kythons in my setting is that a demon lord/wizard created them as the ultimate lifeform, which would be completely loyal to him and surplant the humanoids as the dominant species of the material plane.

Graymayre
2009-04-05, 09:44 PM
They could always be extraplanar beings. Based on the cosmology of your game. They could come from any number of different planes. A good one could be the lawful plane that the Formians come from. Perhaps the Kythons are vieing for power with them?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-04-05, 10:03 PM
Ya i was thinking about having them originate from another plane or planet or some thing... turn the game from a regular dnd to spelljammer after they finish of this hive/tribe/swarm what ever

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-04-05, 10:51 PM
From what I know of Kythons, they're pretty much 'standard' Xenomorphs with high Spell Resistance. Used properly, they are absolutely lethal. Used improperly, they are utterly weak. Kind of like how kobolds are simple kick-toys... until some guy named Tucker came along...

Seriously, these things are Bad News, if done properly. Players will likely never see one before the first encounter, which will be brutal. Drop hints that something is pulling stuff, hinting at 'monsters', but nothing definite until after the biological waste product has impacted the rotating propeller blades.

Playing 'tubular bells' as background music for the game would be a major bonus

RagnaroksChosen
2009-04-06, 07:55 AM
ShneekeyTheLost: I plan on running them smart very smart... I'm taking alot of insperation from AVP and Alien movies in general. Alot of my players where big fans of those movies, And I like how these guys's intelegance is high.

O question though i don't see Spell resistance on there, I meen besides the slaymasters and slaughterkings.