PDA

View Full Version : Variant Barbarian

Jane_Smith
2009-04-05, 11:15 PM
Updated!

Changes;
1st: I used the pathfinder style of rage points and rage powers. Beats the original barbarians rage's per day from core, vastly.

2nd: Removed Trap Sense and gave it good reflex saving throws - If they can dodge traps with ease, then why would their instincts not have them try to dodge fireballs with the same knack?

3rd: Removed fast movement at 1st level - with a very cheap rage power that gives them a 10 feet to 30 feet boost in speed, I figured they would not need it anymore. Gave them Toughness as a bonus feat instead, to further cement their hit points (Using variant toughness - +3 hp/+1 hp per hit dice, not the pathetically fail +3 hp feat from core).

4th: Made damage reduction gained at earlier levels with a higher cap of 10/- by level 19. By level 20 your taking hits from things that can dish out 40 to 100 damage on a good hit, so I SERIOUSLY doubt DR 10/- that does not stack with anything else is such a horribly game breaking number.

5: Also reduced the level in which you begin getting Indomitable Will and cutt it into 4 pieces, so earlier levels get a little boost.

6: Buffed Tireless rage - at higher levels it even makes you immune to exhaustion.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4914/pzo9512tavernbrawl.jpg

Barbarian
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Damage Reduction 1/-, Rage, Toughness
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Rage Power, Uncanny Dodge
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Damage Reduction 2/-
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Rage Power, Indomitable Will +1
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Damage Reduction 3/-
6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Rage Power, Improved Uncanny Dodge
7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Damage Reduction 4/-
8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Rage Power, Indomitable Will +2
9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Damage Reduction 5/-
10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Rage Power, Greater Rage
11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+3|Damage Reduction 6/-
12th|
+12|
+8|
+8|
+4|Rage Power, Indomitable Will +3
13th|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+4|Damage Reduction 7/-
14th|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+4|Rage Power, Tireless Rage (Immunity to Fatigue)
15th|
+15|
+9|
+9|
+5|Damage Reduction 8/-
16th|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+5|Rage Power, Indomitable Will +4
17th|
+17|
+10|
+10|
+5|Damage Reduction 9/-
18th|
+18|
+11|
+11|
+6|Rage Power, Tireless Rage (Immunity to Exhuastion)
19th|
+19|
+11|
+11|
+6|Damage Reduction 10/-
20th|
+20|
+12|
+12|
+6|Rage Power, Mighty Rage[/table]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Barbarian~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alignment: Any.
Hit Dice: d12.
Base Attack: Good.
Saves: Good Fortitude, Good Reflex, Poor Willpower.

Class Skills
The Barbarian's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 1st level, a barbarian gains a damage reduction of 1/-. At 3rd level and every 2 levels thereafter, this damage reduction rises by 1 point.

Rage (Ex): At 1st level, a barbarian can call upon inner reserves of strength and ferocity, granting her additional combat prowess. Starting at 1st level, a barbarian gains a number of rage points equal to 4 + her Constitution modifier. At each level after 1st, she gains an additional number of rage points equal to 2 + her Constitution modifier. Temporary increases to Constitution, such as those gained from rage and spells, do not increase a barbarian’s total number of rage points, however permanent increases to constitution are retroactive. A barbarian must spend one rage point to enter a rage and one additional point at the start of any round spent in rage. In addition, rage points can be spent to activate rage powers. A barbarian can enter a rage as a free action. Rage points are renewed after resting for 8 hours although these hours do not need to be consecutive.
While in a rage, the barbarian gains a +4 bonus to Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, she takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the barbarian additional hit points per Hit Dice, but disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence based skills (Except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Ride and Tumble) or the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration.
A barbarian can end her rage as a free action and is fatigued for a number of rounds equal to twice the number of rage points spent during the rage. A barbarian cannot enter a new rage while fatigued but can otherwise enter a rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat.

Toughness: At 1st level, barbarians gain the Toughness feat.

Rage Powers: As a barbarian gains experience, she learns to harness her rage in new ways. Starting at 2nd level, a barbarian gains one rage power. She gains an additional rage power for every two levels of barbarian attained after 2nd level. A barbarian can use her rage powers only while raging, with each power consuming a number of rage points. A barbarian cannot select an individual power more than once. Unless otherwise noted, these abilities are swift actions that must be performed on the barbarians turn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Animal Fury (Ex): The barbarian may make a bite attack using her full base attack bonus bonus plus her Strength modifier. If the bite hits, it deals 1d6 points of damage (assuming the barbarian is Medium; 1d4 points of damage if Small) plus the barbarian’s Strength modifier. A barbarian can use this power while grappled. If the bite attack hits, any grapple checks made against the target this round are at a +2 bonus. (2 rage points)

Clear Mind (Su): A barbarian may reroll a failed Will save. This power is used as an immediate action after the save is failed. The barbarian must take the second result, even if it is worse. (6 rage points)

Increased Damage Reduction (Ex): The barbarian gains damage reduction 2/— per 3 rage points spent for 1 round. This damage reduction stacks with that granted by the barbarian class feature. The barbarian cannot increase her damage reduction by more than 6/— with this power. (3, 6, or 9 rage points)

Shamanistic Fury (Su): All of the barbarian's attack deal an additional 1d6 points of energy damage per 5 rage points spent for 1 round. The energy type must be acid, cold, electricity, or fire. The barbarian cannot gain more then 3d6 energy in a round with this power. (5, 10, or 15 rage points)

Intimidating Glare (Ex): The barbarian can make an Intimidate check against one adjacent foe as a free action. If the barbarian successfully demoralizes her opponent, the foe is shaken for 2d6 rounds. (4 rage points)

Knockback (Ex): Anyone hit by the barbarian’s melee attacks this round is pushed back 5 feet, if possible. This power is used before any attacks are made. (4 points)

Mighty Swing (Ex): The barbarian automatically confirms a critical hit. This power is used as a immediate action once a critical threat has been determined. (8 rage points)

Moment of Clarity (Ex): The barbarian does not take any of the penalties from rage for 1 round. This includes the penalty to armor class and what actions can be performed. (4 rage points)

Powerful Blow (Ex): The barbarian adds her barbarian level on one damage roll. This power is used as a swift action before the roll to hit is made. (4 rage points)

Quick Reflexes (Ex): The barbarian can make an additional attack of opportunity above the normal limit of one per round. This power is used as an immediate action when an opponent takes an action that provokes an attack of opportunity. (4 rage points)

Renewed Vigor (Su): The barbarian heals 1d8 points of damage + her Constitution modifier. This power is used as a standard action. (6 points)

Rolling Dodge (Ex): The barbarian gains a dodge bonus to her Armor Class and a bonus to reflex saves equal to 1/2 her barbarian level for 1 round. (4 rage points)

Roused Anger (Ex): The barbarian may enter rage even if fatigued. This power is used as a free action when the barbarian enters a rage. (4 points)

Strength Surge (Ex): The barbarian adds her barbarian level on one Strength check, or a Bullrush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, or Trip check. This power is used as an immediate action. (2 points)

Surprise Accuracy (Ex): The barbarian adds her barbarian level on one attack roll. This power is used as an swift action before the roll to hit. (4 rage points)

Swift Foot (Ex): The barbarian gains an enhancement bonus to her speed for 1 round equal to 10 feet per 1 rage points spent. Her speed cannot be increased by more than 30 feet in this way. (1, 2, or 3 rage points)

Terrifying Howl (Su): The barbarian unleashes a terrifying howl as a standard action. All enemies within 30 feet must make a Will save (DC equal to 10 + 1/2 the barbarian’s level + the barbarian’s Strength modifier) or be panicked for 1d4+1 rounds. A barbarian must have the Intimidating Glance power to select this rage power. Once an enemy has made a save versus Terrifying Howl (Successful or not) it is immune to this power for 24 hours. (8 rage points)

Unexpected Strike (Ex): The barbarian can make an attack at her full base attack bonus. This ability is used as a swift action. (8 rage points)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Indomitable Will (Ex): At 4th level, a barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Will saves to resist mind-affecting spells and effects. This stacks with the will save bonus gained when raging. At 8th level and every four levels thereafter this bonus increases by one, to a maximum of +4 at 16th level.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 6th level and higher, a barbarian can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a ranger or rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more ranger or rogue levels than the target does barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum ranger or rogue level required to flank the character.

Greater Rage (Ex): At 10th level, a barbarian's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Tireless Rage (Ex): At 14th level, a barbarian becomes immune to fatigue, and any effects that would cause him to become exhausted instead make him fatigued. At 18th level, he becomes immune to exhaustion.

Mighty Rage (Ex): At 20th level, a barbarian's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

VelvetThunder
2009-04-06, 12:45 AM
I share your Barbarian beef, and so I'm really pleased with what I see here. In particular I love the increased damage threshold. That's just brilliant! The single complaint I have is being able to reroll will saves with the rage points. To me one of the barbarian's signature weaknesses is their mind. Other than that I like this variant very much.

On a side note have you looked at the Variant Barbarian in PHBII ? I find it helps out quite a bit. It would be interesting to see a fusion of that variant, and this one.

Cieyrin
2009-04-06, 12:53 PM
This feels almost word for word to be the Pathfinder Barbarian, with some additional abilities tacked on and some wording otherwise changed.

For the Damage Threshold, yes, that is good thinking, as they should be able to do such. Personally, I generally apply the rule from Arcana Evolved where you're disabled from 0 to your Con bonus and dying from your Con bonus+1 to your Con score-1 and death at Con score, where the normal and minimum is based off the Con 10 character w/ disabled at 0 and dying from -1 up to -9 and finally croaking at -10. Why shouldn't the burly dwarf be able to push through pain the elf gives into early on?

I'm not sure how I feel about built-in resist-all-elements at this stage of the game. I'll have to think about that, as I don't think barbarians are necessarily more flame-retardant then anybody else. I'm of the mind that energy resistance is a magical ability, or racial ability of suitably magical creatures, that shouldn't be handed out as class feature.

In any case, them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Jane_Smith
2009-04-06, 03:53 PM
I was thinking about making it only fire and cold attacks... resistant to the cold of the north and heat of the south you know? I dont see a near-epic barbarian shivering to death from a blizzard.

VelvetThunder
2009-04-07, 01:27 AM
Why not change the energy Resistance to Enriomental Resistance? Like the Barbarian is immune to the effects of extreme Tempertures. They'd still get burnt by a pillar of flames or a ray of frost etc... but They don't mind the extreme weather.

Jane_Smith
2009-04-07, 01:33 AM
That would work perfectly.. only problem is im not exactly sure how to word it. Any ideas? Im not sure myself, ive never really seen anything to refrence it with except for Heat Endurance.

keilyn
2009-04-07, 10:45 AM
I would think you would word it something along the line of "extreme temperatures, such as extreme heat, or extreme cold are treated as one category lower (or higher, for cold) for the barbarian." So a barbarian in extreme cold would instead act as if they were in severe cold.

If you wanted the ability to get better, maybe make it a double thing, split between two levels, each one increasing the bonus by one step. Does that make any sense?

Anyways, I love what you've been doing so far - kudos for the hard work.

TSED
2009-04-11, 06:04 AM
Simple.

You need to make saving throws versus exposure. You don't actually take 'damage' from my understanding.

Bonus to environmental saving throws, voila, hurray, you win at shivering back to life.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-09, 01:14 PM
Updated barbarianz.

Cieyrin
2009-07-10, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure about Barbarians necessarily having good Ref saves. The Trap Sense is callback to 2nd Ed Barbarian's ability to sense danger coming from behind or avoid falling into traps. I'm just not sure whether this necessitates them being good on the dodge, especially given their inability to do so when they have their angry face on. On the other hand, this makes Barbarian Trapfinding all the more entertaining, so why the hell not? Rangers should share the plateau of good Fort/Ref, especially since your rewrite brings them back to warrior hit dice, anyways.

Unexpected Attack doesn't make sense currently, at least to me. Are you getting an extra attack on a full attack or just an extra attack you can do immediately following a standard action attack or (more likely) a charge? I just find it confusing, as it says you get a standard attack action at full BAB, which is what normally happens when making a standard attack action, so why mention it. Also, saying it's a standard attack action means you can do more than just hit the guy with your phallic piece of steel, you can enact a grapple, disarm, trip, sunder, whatever combat action you want. Just something to consider, I suppose.

Otherwise, looks pretty good. Good rewrite.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-10, 11:56 AM
Unexpected Strike (Ex): The barbarian can make an attack at her full base attack bonus. This ability is used as a swift action. (8 rage points)

:P My bad, ill just put attack instead of attack action. But its a swift action, extra attack for the round.