PDA

View Full Version : Some Cleric Advice

kalt
2009-04-06, 10:03 AM
So I'm putting together my cleric and I am having a little bit of diccifulty deciding on what prestige class to go into. So far I have

Cleric 3/ Church inquisitor 5/Something 1/Contemplative 1/Something XXX

Domains I figure I'll take Planning and Time for extend and imp. initiative then for the contemplative domain pick up Undeath for extra turning.

Feats:

1: Free
1H: Free
D: Extend Spell
D: Improved Initiative
3:Persist Spell
6:Divine Metamagic(Persist)
9: Mother Cyst
10(D): Extra Turning
12: Free
15: Free
18: Free

Spell Resistance is a common problem so I'm thinking about taking SP as one of my free feats. This would leave me with 1 other free feat probably to get into a presige class I would think. We are going to about 18 and starting at 10. Sourcebooks are all open and I appreciate the help in advance!

-Steve-

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-06, 11:11 AM
Use Assay Spell Resistance instead of SP. Trust me on this one.

...Why are you getting Mother Cyst? Flavor?

Douglas
2009-04-06, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll need at least 5 levels of cleric before you qualify for any of your PrCs. IIRC Contemplative requires 13 ranks in one skill, which can't be done before level 10, so you can't start with Contemplative and will have to wait for level 11 to take it.

Divine Oracle is very nice for at least a 2 level dip and possibly a little more. All you'd need to add to qualify is Skill Focus (Knowledge (Religion)).

kalt
2009-04-06, 12:02 PM
It gives me a few more spells and a few of them are just deadly. I guess I'm having problems filling feats as is. I just can't figure out another good prestige class to get into. Undead aren't a huge thing in this campaign and I'm trying to stay away from RSoP just to try something a little different.

Gorbash
2009-04-06, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll need at least 5 levels of cleric before you qualify for any of your PrCs.

Read the requirments for the Church Inquisitor.

kalt
2009-04-06, 12:29 PM
I think for Church Inquisitor I might actually be good since my DM doesn't use Cross Class skills (I see this is something I should have added I apologize!) The contemplative I believe you are correct so I will update the top So maybe something like Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 5/ Divine Oracle 2/ Contemplative 1/XxX 9 . I guess I'll use one of those feats for Skill Focus (Religion)

Keld Denar
2009-04-06, 12:41 PM
Divine Oracle doesn't really net you a huge amount. The evasion, while cool, is only effective if you make your reflex saves. Which...you probably won't. Even with Superior Resistance running, your odds are still rather low. That at the price of taking Skill Focus: Religion is a bad trade, unless you also plan on taking levels of Loremaster to gain UMD as a class skill (and your DM doesn't use class skills, so that is a bad idea).

Really, whats wrong with more CI? Level 6 is an awesome level since you get +1 to all saves and +1 BAB, on top of anything else.

Another thought would be Sacred Exorcist. Easy requirements for you to get into as a cleric, advances spellcasting and turning, and gives a few neato SLAs and the very slick permanent consecration aura.

The bummer is that there really aren't a ton of great cleric PrCs out there. CI, RSoP, SE, and Contemplative are the meat and potatos or cleric PrCing. DO is more of a wizard PrC, IMO, as 2 levels fit perfectly between Wizard5 and Loremaster at 8, and others like Stormlord are kinda a bit too specialized.

kalt
2009-04-06, 01:34 PM
The lack of prestige classes really is what I'm running into. I guess I always could take more Church inquisitor if anything else doesn't really come up. For Divine Oracle I suppose this is true I guess I could always just take more Extra Turning feats.

To add a little more info our main enemies are demons/devils if there is anything neat out there.

Keld Denar
2009-04-06, 02:59 PM
There is a spell in Complete Champion called Turn Anathema. Its a 2nd level cleric spell. You cast it and pick one non-neutral component of your alignment. You can now turn outsiders with the subtype opposite the component that you picked for the next CL rounds.

So, if you are a Lawful Good cleric, you can turn either [Evil] or [Chaotic] creatures as if they were undead. Unfortunately, you can't destroy them.

Do note that outsiders are amazingly easier to turn than undead, since they only gain 1 HD per CR as opposed to undead who get 2-4 HD per CR. In Living Greyhawk, I had a fully pimped out Cleric/RSoP/SE who, at level 11, could turn a Balor without rolling.

It is a standard action though, so invest in either a Lesser MM Rod of Quicken or a Circlet of Rapid Casting or the Quickened Turning feat so you can get the spell and the turn off in the same round.

Unfortunately for you, CI and Contemplative don't progress turning. Regardless, turning outsiders is still WAY easier than turning undead, so you might have a chance if you buy some minor gear (Ephod of Authority in MIC is +1 for 800g, Phylactery of UD Turning in the DMG is +4 for 10k g, IIRC).

kalt
2009-04-06, 03:43 PM
Hmm that sounds like a great idea! I'm not really set on CI or contemplative so I'm open to other presitge classes and that is a big reason for this thread. I am having some problems finding a few good prestige classes.

Keld Denar
2009-04-06, 04:45 PM
Gah, post got eaten.

Basically said that I've always considered CI to be a 1-2 level dip, mostly for the sexy Inquisition domain. That +4 bonus is amazing, especially considering its not a CL buff, and thus not subject to the CL cap that all dispels have on them.

Also...Mother Cyst...is evil, right? CI requires you to be LG. I'm normally not a stickler on alignment, but hosting a hateful tumor in your body...just doesn't sound....good....

I think a pretty ideal caster cleric build, ignoring alignment restrictions (why is Pelor LG, yet RSoPs have to be NG? Makes no sense), something like Cleric3/CI2/RSoP5/Cont1/SE8. This gives you 5 domains, full casting, your own personal Consecrate bubble, 17/20 turning, and a host of other special abilities. You could drop the CI if you wanted, but I love the Inquisition domain bonus, especially when you combine Battlemagic Perception (Hero's of Battle) with Greater Dispel Magic. Very sexy.

kalt
2009-04-07, 08:07 AM
Okay with some more advie from Keld Denar I have come up with the following.

Cleric5/CI1/RSoP5/Cont1/SE8

Domains: Planning, Sun

1: Extra Turning 1D:Extend Spell 1H: Divine Ward
3: Quicken Spell
6: Craft Wonderous Item, Bonus Domain (Inquisition)
9: Divine Spellpower
11: Bonus Domain (Time) for improved initiative
12: Extra Turning
15: Free
18: Free

I'm kinda tempted to go Cloistered Cleric Variant since this character won't be a primary frontliner. Our party is made up of a Rogue'ish character, a raging meatshield, a sorceror, and myself so it is a pretty iconic party. I'm still tempted to pick up the spell penetration feat, and then pick up a 3rd eye penetrate just because of how frequently we encounter enemies with SR (think 80-85% of the time).