PDA

View Full Version : 4e Multiclass Powers

LibraryOgre
2009-04-06, 11:01 AM
I'm playing a multi-multi-classed bard (all of my feats are multiclass feats, as a 7th level human). As such, I have a few questions.

1) If you already possess a skill that your feat provides training in, can you retrain it? For example, if you are a bard who multi-classes into Wizard, Wizard gives you Arcane... which you already have. Can you retrain the Wizard Arcane into another Wizard or Bard skill, or does it have to remain (uselessly) Arcane? If you can't, that would seem to severely limit multiclassing within a power source... divine characters get less out of multi-classing within the Divine power source, since many will give Religion training. Arcane doesn't multiclass as well with arcane, because most give Arcana.

2) With the Fighter power, is the mark a Combat Challenge, or simply a mark? I think it is simply a mark, since it doesn't specify, but wanted to be sure.

3) With the Ranger Hunter's Quarry, can you only do that damage once/encounter, or can you only specify a single quarry per encounter, but continue to do damage to them for the encounter? I read it as you can only set your quarry once per encounter, but can continue to use the additional damage until they are dead.

Those are the ones that come to mind right now.

NPCMook
2009-04-06, 11:13 AM
1)No
2)I believe its just a mark
3)You can deal Hunter's Quarry Damage till the target is dead, but only can use Hunter's Quarry 1/Encounter

Totally Guy
2009-04-06, 11:38 AM
The Hunter's Quarry ends at the end of your next turn.

So you can get 2 uses out of it. 1 on the turn you apply it and another on the next turn before it wears off. This makes it similar in power level to the sneak attack for a multiclass character.

Douglas
2009-04-06, 12:07 PM
The Hunter's Quarry ends at the end of your next turn.
This clause was added by errata, as I recall, so don't be surprised if you can't find it in your printed copy of the PHB.

TheOOB
2009-04-06, 01:12 PM
You specifically cannot retrain skills your class requires, and some multiclass feats offer only one skill they give you, so multiclassing to similar classes for skills isn't always a good idea.

I personally as a DM houserule that if you allready have the skill as a required skill, then you can pick another skill from the new classes class list.

LibraryOgre
2009-04-06, 01:43 PM
You specifically cannot retrain skills your class requires, and some multiclass feats offer only one skill they give you, so multiclassing to similar classes for skills isn't always a good idea.

I personally as a DM houserule that if you allready have the skill as a required skill, then you can pick another skill from the new classes class list.

That's what I would do, myself, but the DM preferred not. Turns out Ranger is a better fit for my character than wizard, anyway.

Thajocoth
2009-04-06, 02:11 PM
I houserule that the second training of it can be used as a "Skill focus" in my campaign. Skill focus is a feat that gives a +3 feat bonus to a skill you're already trained in. But normally, no.

Hzurr
2009-04-06, 02:37 PM
I houserule that the second training of it can be used as a "Skill focus" in my campaign. Skill focus is a feat that gives a +3 feat bonus to a skill you're already trained in. But normally, no.

I like this rule. It gives a nice bonus, but doesn't make the class/skills association pointless.

LibraryOgre
2009-04-06, 03:07 PM

And if you happen to take three? Say a Bard/Sorcerer/Wizard?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-06, 03:52 PM

Can't stack further than 1 - it's a Feat Bonus after all :smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2009-04-06, 03:57 PM
This clause was added by errata, as I recall, so don't be surprised if you can't find it in your printed copy of the PHB.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

Thajocoth
2009-04-06, 04:56 PM

As Oracle Hunter said. I'll let them have as many copies of Skill Focus: Arcana as they want... But it won't stack as it's a feat bonus, and can't be retrained.

However, if, as a Bard, you selected, say, Insight as one of your selected skills, and somehow got Insight from a multiclass... Well, you can retrain one thing each level, and that includes the skill choices you made at character creation. (Not the ones you have to take, which in the Bard's case is Arcana, but the ones you get to pick can be retrained to another of the one's you could've picked but didn't.) This part is normal though, not a houserule.