PDA

View Full Version : Casting Stats

High_Voltage
2009-04-06, 03:10 PM
I'm just curious if there are any ways to change a spellcaster's primary casting stat? I know wizards using something else doesn't make too much sense, but why couldn't a sorcerer use wisdom for a casting stat instead of his/her charisma?

I was hoping to make a scout/arcane archer (using a fixed version), but I don't want him to be highly intelligent or a very talkative or outgoing guy. I have access to most books, but unfortunately no dragon magazines.

RandomFellow
2009-04-06, 03:32 PM
Pretty much that is limited to House/Variant rules.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster

You can cast via Wisdom from Arcane & Divine lists in Armor w/o ASF. :P

Not 100% upside, but for your goal that is the closest 'official' thing I can come up with off the top of my head.

Shpadoinkle
2009-04-06, 03:32 PM
Rule 0 it.

Fostire
2009-04-06, 03:39 PM
Rule 0 it.
This^

Personally I never liked the sorcerer casting with charisma. I would make it cast with constitution instead since it makes more sense with the whole inner power fluff of it.

krossbow
2009-04-06, 04:13 PM
isn't there a variant that uses constitution or something?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-06, 04:27 PM
isn't there a variant that uses constitution or something?Dwarf Sorcerer Sub level, only affects bonus spells IIRC, but for an AA saves are likely a lost cause, so spells are what matters.

Teron
2009-04-06, 11:15 PM
You could always play it as the "quiet intensity" kind of charisma if that works better. Charisma doesn't have to mean being talkative; it mostly means people are inclined to respect you, one way or another.

RTGoodman
2009-04-06, 11:51 PM
I'm not sure there's a real precedent for anything like that. The closest I can think of are the aforementioned Dwarven Sorcerer RSL and the Serenity feat from some Dragon issue (lets a Paladin use Wis instead of Cha for various class abilities). Also, Int and Cha are the only official arcane casting stats (IIRC), whereas Wis is almost always divine.

I'd probably suggest just using Int or Cha instead of trying to get it switched. As others said, a high Cha doesn't mean you have to be nice or outgoing.

Fizban
2009-04-07, 03:29 AM
Illumians can substitute pretty much any ability for some part of spellcasting, but not all of it.