PDA

View Full Version : Cultures in my homebrew

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-08-25, 06:49 PM
Since i am working on a homebrew setting right now, i figured i'd share the tidbits i've got on the different races in the campaign, i haven't worked on all of them equally and i plan to put more in to all of them, i haven't done all the races yet, but i am interested in feedback.

Also, i apologize for any crappy writing as i haven't had much of a chance to proof read or go over it.

Any comments would be appriciated, also it's a little long (sorta)

Dwarves: The dwarves are constantly at battle with the orcs to maintain what little territory they have left. Most dwarves life their lives working, either at the forge or as another type of craftsmen. Those that adventure do so either in an attempt to reclaim the lost glory of their race or perhaps to find some way to push back the orc hordes. Few live a domestic life outside dwarven society, but a few do, the majority of them as members of the Northern axes.

Elves: Elven society encourages the search for beauty in art, life and nature. The elven clan that became the Umbragen was the most adept at arcane magic and as such it has waned in popularity. Druidic magic is the mot common among the elves as they revere nature. The live in conflict with the hobgoblins and orcs and occasionally with the umbragen and demon-tainted. Those that adventure do so often due to a sense of wanderlust or a desire to increase their skills.

Umbragen: Many centuries ago an Elven clan famous for their wizards began to research shadow magic, slowly this magic became an obsession. A powerful shadow being known as Umbra corrupted them and transformed the elves into umbragen and changed them from wizards to shadowcasters. They fled elven society and have since then fallen into a somewhat barbaric group dwelling in the southern forests. They have a clan-based society that is neither patriarchal nor matriarchal; the most skilled Shadowcaster (viewed as priests) leads them. Those who are not shadow casters are either scouts/rangers, who hunt and defend the clan or the occasional Sidhe scholar who is seen as a prophet. They fight the demon-tainted with great fervor.

Halfling: Long ago the halfling race lived on Blood isle, however two foolish archmages, who detested each other, opened portals to the abyss and the nine hells. They hoped to draft powerful outsiders into their conflict. Unfortunately the fiends broke free of their bindings and built more portals, bringing the Blood War to the material plane. After many years the mortals of the world, with celestial aid managed to place wards on giant stones surrounding the isle and on these stones wards to prevent the fiends from leaving the isle for the mainland. Now the halflings travel the continent as nomads, a self imposed punishment for the crime of their race. They generally are cheerful hired hands for humans in small settlements and experienced traders in cities. Many halflings adventure, whether to put their natural stealth to good use or merely for the experience they have many reasons. Their society is matriarchal, with the Sidhe scholars taking an important role in the affairs of the clan; each clan has at least 3 Sidhe Scholars and at least a dozen families. To defend themselves, halflings train either as scouts or rangers (who ride their animal companions) as the wilderness survival skills of those classes are often necessary.

Kobolds: The most isolated race, the kobolds live mostly in the southern mountain ranges. Though also in the northern mountains, as well as those in between, but these tribes are less common. Almost every kobold tribe has a dragon that they serve. They mine precious metals for the dragon, or sometimes they prefer to mine other ores and sell them for dragon tribute. A single dragon may be the patron of several clans, and while most live near their tribe’s caves, some have a far-reaching system of tribes. The kobolds view dragons as the paragons of mortal beings. Their close association with dragons and their draconic blood make many of them adept at magic, so psions (called the Blooded) hold an important role in society. Kobolds always trap their caverns elaborately and rarely venture from them, except when their source of ore runs dry, in which case they dig deeper or farther and expand. Kobold tribes can live just a few miles apart and be completely unaware of each other. Every 1000 kobolds or so will be born a half-dragon (called truebloods) and these kobolds can rule several tribes and command almost as much respect as the dragon overlord. Kobolds who choose to adventure often will pay a small yearly tribute to their former master, though few dragons make this act compulsory.