PDA

View Full Version : Army Advice

Enguhl
2009-04-06, 04:49 PM
As I mentioned in a previous thread my friend and I are working on our own system for massive battles, and making test armies to try it out.
The majority of the test armies are level 1 (NPC classes), races are any core / LA +0. I already have some decent archers/foot soldiers/cavalry and was wondering if anyone had some good ideas for me to add.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-06, 05:07 PM
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the population of a community is made up of first-level commoners.

Also, it'd help to know a little more about your system, before you go asking for advice on it.

Enguhl
2009-04-06, 05:49 PM
Well the community isn't involved, we are just doing army vs army for now.
The system is based on 3.5 with some underlying Warhammer themes (Wardungeons and Dragonhammers!)
So units have stats like normal 3.5, but they are in squads, when the squad takes the same damage as a single units HP, one dies. Melee functions as normal or if they are also touching someone who is within normal range (to prevent huge giant lines).***
Not much special, we just did organization in rules to make it simple (and not having to move 50 guys separately)

*** Edit: Much like Warhammer's base-to-base or withing two inches of someone that is in base-to-base

Yahzi
2009-04-06, 10:26 PM
The majority of the test armies are level 1 (NPC classes), races are any core / LA +0. I already have some decent archers/foot soldiers/cavalry and was wondering if anyone had some good ideas for me to add.

Have ya seen this thread?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37056

Calinero
2009-04-06, 10:54 PM
Hm. How do you handle combat in this system? Does one group of units deal the average damage for the number of units inside it? Do you roll for each unit in a group to see how many hit? How do you handle mixed groups (ie, groups with different classes or races inside it, and therefore different HP or attack information.)

elliott20
2009-04-06, 11:53 PM
the problem doesn't stop there, calinero.

how will the system handle things like morale, fatigue, supply, formations, the chaos of battle, weather conditions, etc?

better question, how does the system handle this without completely bogging combat down to rolling thousands of d20s each round of combat?

I believe that the Alexandrian had the right idea with his post on crowds and mobs. In those cases, hit points represents not the physical health of the individual, but the cohesion of the unit. a unit that hits 0 isn't slaughtered or dead, but rather they've been dispersed.