PDA

View Full Version : She never sleeps...[Peach]

The Demented One
2006-07-02, 10:29 AM
Darkwater Revenant
Size/Type: Medium Undead (Incorporeal, Water)
Hit Dice: 7d12 (45 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 80 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 deflection), touch 16, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/—
Attack: Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d8 plus accursed touch)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d8 plus accursed touch)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Accursed touch, darkwater resurrection
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, darkwater taint, fast healing 1
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str Ř, Dex 18, Con Ř, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 17
Skills: Hide +14, Intimidate +13, Move Silently +14, Swim +10
Feats: Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Accursed Touch), Corpsecrafter
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

You stare down into the decrepit well before you. To your horror, it is inhabited–by a corpse! You climb down into the well, so that you may give the unfortunate body a proper burial. As you reach the bottom, you feel a clammy touch on your hand. Shocked, you lose your grip on the rope–and fall through the body, into the well. The corpse stares at you malevolently–and reaches out to touch you...

Darkwater revenants are undead spirits created when a humanoid is drowned in unholy water. After achieving unlife, these malevolent spirits seek out wells and lakes to haunt, slaying any creature foolish enough to enter. They keep their bodies as reanimation fodder, and as lures to draw in more victims. The first darkwater revenants were created by the Blood of Vol, in an attempt to create guardians for the aquatic entrances into their lairs, and they have also been created by the less scrupulous Karnnathi necromancers to serve as aquatic troops, and to create more zombies. Some claim to have seen these revenants in the waters of the Mournlands, vile offspring of the tainted waters of Cyre.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Accursed Touch (Sp)
Living creatures hit by a darkwater revenant’s incorporeal touch attack must make a DC 18 Will save or be cursed, as a Bestow Curse spell cast by a 7th level caster.

Darkwater Resurrection (Su)
A darkwater revenant can animate any corpse in the same body of water as itself, transforming it into a zombie or skeleton under the revenant’s control by infusing it with a portion of the revenant’s essence. Doing so is a full-round action. The corpse to be animated must be within ten feet of the revenant per HD of the revenant, and, once animated, must remain in contact with the same pool of water as the revenant. Animating a corpse is draining for the revenant–every time it animates a corpse, it gains a negative level. This level cannot be removed by normal means, but once the animated undead is destroyed, the negative level is immediately removed. This is an exception to the rule that undead are immune to negative levels.

Alternatively, the revenant may move the whole of its essence into the corpse. This animates the corpse as a zombie and allows the darwater revenant to possess it, similar to the magic jar spell. Animating a corpse this way does not cause the revenant to gain negative levels.

When the revenant is destroyed, all undead animated by it are also destroyed.

Darkwater Taint (Su)
The water inhabited by a darkwater revenant is corrupted by negative energy. Any undead creature within ten feet per HD of the revenant gains a +2 profane bonus to strength, dexterity, and charisma (This bonus is already factored into the revenant's stat block), and gains fast healing 1. Any living creature within ten feet per HD of the revenant takes a -2 penalty to Str, Dex, and Cha, and must make a DC 16 Fort save each round of take 1d6 points of negative energy damage. The save is Cha based.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-02, 10:37 AM
Wierd. Cool, but wierd.

I think its more CR6, but then I'm not a very good judge of stuff like this. The AC means most 7th level fighters will be hitting it on about 5's or more, and only 45hp means it will die quickly. To compare, look at the troll, CR5, 45hp, and regenration. I don't think undead raising that weakens the creatuer or a funky touch attack really make up for its major frailty.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-02, 10:43 AM
I dunno, I think the AC is dead on. It may not have that many HP, but it IS incorporeal, and if you are anywhere to be attacking it you are most likely wading through its waters. Also, that Curse at will is extremely hefty.

Great creature, and love its concept 8)

*VT sheds on this to show his approval*

Fax Celestis
2006-07-02, 10:45 AM
...you just watched "The Ring", didn't you.

The Demented One
2006-07-02, 03:02 PM
...you just watched "The Ring", didn't you.
It was a while ago, but yeah, this was the inspiration.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-02, 03:59 PM
It's nice. Note that its Str and Con are not actually "0" but "-", indicating a nonability.

Its Darkwater Taint is nice and vicious. I like that ability. Really swings the battle in its favour.

The Demented One
2006-07-02, 04:31 PM
It's nice. Note that its Str and Con are not actually "0" but "-", indicating a nonability.
The whole "0 with a slash through it" is used more or less interchangeably with the dash--it's not just a 0.

DMgrinder
2006-07-02, 06:10 PM
It's sooo kewl! *says the ring fanboi next to me*

Ahem, I like it and hope it drowns its first few victems soon...

The Demented One
2006-08-25, 04:52 PM
What's with all the old threads popping back up?

Matthew
2006-08-25, 04:55 PM
I think they've been moved from the D20 section?

The Demented One
2006-08-25, 05:21 PM
I think they've been moved from the D20 section?
Yeah, but why now? It's a bit late, isn't it?

Matthew
2006-08-25, 05:37 PM
They generally move over any they have missed once notified, so I'm led to believe. I suppose somebody found a bunch.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-25, 06:18 PM
They generally move over any they have missed once notified, so I'm led to believe. I suppose somebody found a bunch.
Comrade Gorby: That's somewhat correct. I'm moving over threads linked in the From the Playground thread as I update the compendium. I apologize for having old threads pop up again, but it's better to have them in Homebrew than to link back over to Gaming.