PDA

View Full Version : The Best Ending Words in Fiction?

The Tygre
2009-04-06, 10:13 PM
So I recently read Cracked.com's 11 Most Badass Last Words of All Time, and it got me thinking; what are some of the best last words in all fiction? Specifically, the top 11? I have some ideas, but I'm interested in hearing my fellow Playgrounder's opinions first.

WalkingTarget
2009-04-06, 10:25 PM
Two immediately spring to mind for me, for widely different reasons.

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother. "

"He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said."

Edit - err... Last words as in the end of the book or last words as in the last thing a character says before dieing?

The Tygre
2009-04-06, 10:38 PM
Both, I suppose.

thegurullamen
2009-04-06, 10:44 PM
Best outro I ever read was in Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I don't remember it verbatim, but it shook me up worse than the rest of the book. And that. Is. Saying. SOMETHING.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-04-06, 10:49 PM
""He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said."

I concur. Truly a masterpiece.

Tengu_temp
2009-04-06, 10:54 PM
"Bang."

Mentioning any details would be a large spoiler.

BRC
2009-04-06, 10:56 PM
"...And Poof, He's gone."

Calinero
2009-04-06, 11:02 PM
"He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said."

I got the 1984 one, and this sounds terribly familiar, but I'll be darned if I can remember where it's from....what is it? *prepares to be stoned for an illiterate savage*

Piedmon_Sama
2009-04-06, 11:10 PM
"Bang."

Mentioning any details would be a large spoiler.

Haha, dammit this was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

"A plague o'er both your houses!" is pretty good, if not exactly uplifting. So is "Et tu, Brute? Then fall Caesar." And "Lay on, MacDuff! And damned be he who cries 'hold, enough!'"

Also, even though the movie wasn't great, "oh... my..." along with the look on his face made Kirk's death in Generations beatific.

EDIT: Kinda wordy but Captain America in Infinity Gauntlet is pretty good:

"As long as one man.... JUST ONE MAN... stands against you, Thanos, you will never win."

As far as defiance in the face of a sheer godlike being goes... pretty good.

Hzurr
2009-04-06, 11:15 PM
Tale of Two Cities - "It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known"

I really didn't like the book. At all. However, The opening line ("Best of times/worst of times) and closing line of this book are incredible. Actually, the entire last chapter is awesome, because nearly every person I've known who has read this book hated it with a passion until they got to the last chapter, and then suddenly said "Aww...that was great" when they read that chapter.

I also agree with the "Lord of the Rings" ending,

Other good ones that I won't bother to type:
Neitzche's Beyond Good & Evil
Conrad's Heart of Darkness
C.S.Lewis The Last Battle

Sneak
2009-04-06, 11:24 PM
Now you are man and wife, Reader and Reader. A great double bed receives your parallel readings.

Ludmilla closes her book, turns off her light, puts her head back against the pillow, and says, "Turn off your light, too. Aren't you tired of reading?"

And you say, "Just a moment, I've almost finished If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino."

Rogue 7
2009-04-06, 11:27 PM
To really sum up a movie, I can't think of anything better than "Now bring me that horizon."

revolver kobold
2009-04-06, 11:45 PM
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Enlong
2009-04-07, 12:05 AM
I got the 1984 one, and this sounds terribly familiar, but I'll be darned if I can remember where it's from....what is it? *prepares to be stoned for an illiterate savage*

The final words of The Lord of the Rings, spoken by Sam. I felt it was a really powerful final word, because Sam really was able to go home after all that happened.

thorgrim29
2009-04-07, 12:11 AM
Hum..... Well, I liked:

"Thomas, why did you buy large breed puppy chow" from the dresden files

Other then that, dunno, I guess the Martell guy's last words from Storm of swords were pretty awesome, because he was sure he was going to win.

Dienekes
2009-04-07, 12:35 AM
"Hey Blondie. You know what you are? Just a dirty son of a b-"(ahahaha wah wah wah)

"I'm finished"

Hannibal's last speech in Silence of the Lambs

"You are swearing now that some day you will destroy me. Remember: far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Go and look for them now."

"The horror. The horror."

In the end, Lord Tywin did not in fact s**t gold. (ok not a line, but still awesome)

SDF
2009-04-07, 12:41 AM
"I am a leaf on the wind"

"I have been, and always shall be your friend. Live long and prosper."

Kneenibble
2009-04-07, 12:43 AM
The last two paragraphs of Moby ****. - which is totally going to get starred out. Heh.

But as the last whelmings intermixingly poured themselves over the sunken head of the Indian at the mainmast, leaving a few inches of the erect spar yet visible, together with long streaming yards of the flag, which calmly undulated, with ironical coincidings, over the destroying billows they almost touched;—at that instant, a red arm and a hammer hovered backwardly uplifted in the open air, in the act of nailing the flag faster and yet faster to the subsiding spar. A sky-hawk that tauntingly had followed the main-truck downwards from its natural home among the stars, pecking at the flag, and incommoding Tashtego there; this bird now chanced to intercept its broad fluttering wing between the hammer and the wood; and simultaneously feeling that ethereal thrill, the submerged savage beneath, in his death-gasp, kept his hammer frozen there; and so the bird of heaven, with archangelic shrieks, and his imperial beak thrust upwards, and his whole captive form folded in the flag of Ahab, went down with his ship, which, like Satan, would not sink to hell till she had dragged a living part of heaven along with her, and helmeted herself with it.

Now small fowls flew screaming over the yet yawning gulf; a sullen white surf beat against its steep sides; then all collapsed, and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago.

Maybe you meant the last words of a character, but **** me, what an ending.

Enlong
2009-04-07, 01:11 AM
"But that's another story and shall be told another time."
-The Neverending Story

Trizap
2009-04-07, 01:26 AM
"Do you think anyone's lives are ever normal?"
"Nope, that is why people live them"

have fun being stumped.

Satyr
2009-04-07, 01:36 AM
The Pendulum of Foucault ends with the words, that "They are lacking faith" (among others), which is just a glorious last statement of the book's events (which is pretty much what Dan Brown intended to write, only a) based on research, b) targeted on a non-lobotomized audience and c) written with something like "talent"). The real last sentence ("I could just stand here and watch the hill. It is so beautiful".) is just an elipsis, but the paragraph prior to that about the

people who cannot not believe in an ancient conspiracy and hunger for arcane knowledge, even though when it is all a product of fantasy and who are going to kill the narrator, albeit off-screen

is so beautifully mocking the hunger for a supernatural explanation and the people who have long lost the ability to see the world without their "conspirational" subtext, living in permanent hyperreality.

Haven
2009-04-07, 01:59 AM
"Now it's torn, and the artist is dead." From the last story Philip K **** ever wrote.

And "He escaped into the waves. The waves." from one of the terminal stories in Marathon.

Those two sort of stuck with me. Not especially deep or meaningful but there you go.

Tensu
2009-04-07, 02:07 AM
"Grant me ultimate power!"-Sir Baldwin, last words.

it only really makes since if you see how he dies.

Berserk Monk
2009-04-07, 02:20 AM
"In the end"? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

rubakhin
2009-04-07, 02:34 AM
Florentino Ariza had kept his answer ready for fifty-three years, seven months, and eleven days and nights.
'Forever,' he said.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-04-07, 04:29 AM
The Pendulum of Foucault ends with the words, that "They are lacking faith" (among others), which is just a glorious last statement of the book's events (which is pretty much what Dan Brown intended to write, only a) based on research, b) targeted on a non-lobotomized audience and c) written with something like "talent"). The real last sentence ("I could just stand here and watch the hill. It is so beautiful".) is just an elipsis, but the paragraph prior to that about the

people who cannot not believe in an ancient conspiracy and hunger for arcane knowledge, even though when it is all a product of fantasy and who are going to kill the narrator, albeit off-screen

is so beautifully mocking the hunger for a supernatural explanation and the people who have long lost the ability to see the world without their "conspirational" subtext, living in permanent hyperreality.

Except it's possible that no one is going to kill him and he's turned into a paranoid madman.

WitchSlayer
2009-04-07, 05:03 AM
"No one but me can repair the sun, Lois. My cells are converting to pure energy, pure information. And I only have moments to save the world.
"That's more than you ever needed"
"I love you, Lois Lane, until the end of time."

Satyr
2009-04-07, 05:16 AM
@ Closet_Skeleton:

Except it's possible that no one is going to kill him and he's turned into a paranoid madman.

Well, they have killed Belbo in front of te narrator's eyes, he has awakended from the self-induced decline into hyperreality and sees the things much clearer now, and it's quite clear that the wannabe-enlightened pseudo templars have no problem to kill to get what they want and that they do not accept the truth - that it was only a hoax - anymore, because their personality reality has no place anymore for a non-mystical explanation. While the death of Casaubon does not appear "on screen", it is quite likely that he is going to be killed and that his expectations in this regard are quite correct - there is at least no reason to assume that the people who have already killed one guy and faked a terrorist attack will not kill the other one, especially because he cannot give them the answers they want, or any answers that would still make sense to them because there is no answer.

unstattedCommoner
2009-04-07, 06:01 AM
"In the twilight of autumn it sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, an borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song."

Liffguard
2009-04-07, 06:40 AM
“With his shoes in his hand but without his soul, he moved silently down the rear stairs and was gone, his eyes as dry as a burning leaf.”

The final sentence of F. X. Toole's Million Dollar Baby. Heartwrenching stuff.

Cheesegear
2009-04-07, 06:59 AM
"Until the day...'Til all are one."

- Optimus Prime, Transformers: The Movie

"Megatron!? Is that you!?"

- Starscream, Transformers: The Movie

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence."

- Dinobot, Beast Wars; Code of Hero

Raz_Fox
2009-04-07, 08:13 AM
The ending of The Parting of the Ways was an ending and a beginning:

"Rose, before I go, I just want to tell you: you were fantastic, absolutely fantastic. And you know what? So was I!"
"Hello, oka- New teeth. That's weird. So where was I? Oh, that's right! Barcelona!"

Then there's the ending of Love and Monsters:

"When you're a kid, they tell you it's all 'Grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it.' But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better."

And the fate of the Family of Blood:

"]"We wanted to live forever. So the Doctor made sure we did."

The ending of Utopia:

"End of the universe! Have fun! Bye bye!"

Not to mention:

"The drumming? Will it stop?"

DomaDoma
2009-04-07, 09:03 AM
The best literal last word in all of fiction was the one at the end of Whoops! Apocalypse, no contest.

Harry Potter doesn't have the snappiest book-concluding sentences as a whole, but "What would come would come, and they would meet it when it did" is a striking exception.

The last sentence in A Game of Thrones was also great. Heck, the entire last chapter was just gorgeously lyrical, but that last line is especially powerful, even if I don't remember the exact phrasing off the top of my head. (Unless I'm completely muddled and Catelyn, not Daenerys, got the final chapter, in which case it's STILL an epic ending line until you find out just how many bozo factions are also dead-set on a little bloodletting.)

Artemician
2009-04-07, 09:12 AM

Hell yes this.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-07, 09:40 AM
Gah, so many of mine are already listed:

"Bang"-I loved that ending. I don't know why.

"Bring on that horizon"-now if they'd just left it at that...

"Why'd you buy large breed dog chow?"-The Dresden Files has so many funny moments, this is one of the better ones.

But I still have one that hasn't been mentioned:

"War, war never changes."

...too bad the rest of the ending is terrible...

tape_measure
2009-04-07, 11:08 AM
While this little gem is not the very last words, it comes from the last chapter:

"I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong.
We are not special.
We are not crap or trash, either.
We just are.
We just are, and what happens just happens.
And God say, "No, that's not right."
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything."

and lastly, I've been a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan long before Col. Depp starred in the subversive cult classic. With his latter works, Dr. Thompson ended many of his letters and rantings with a single Hawaiian word, "Mahalo." It took a long while for me take the time to look it up, but i found that it means "great thanks" and that has always stuck with me since. Even through depression and pain, Dr. Thompson was very grateful to his readers and supporters; something I truly admired about the writer.

Tengu_temp
2009-04-07, 11:12 AM

Because you're a human being with soul and non-horrible tastes?

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-07, 11:19 AM
Because you're a human being with soul and non-horrible tastes?

SHHHH!

If word of that gets out my rep will be ruined...

edit: Ah! Remembered another one. Hardly one of Hollywood's best lines, but I can't help but laugh every time:

"Well it just kinda hit me. Stampede..."

KnightDisciple
2009-04-07, 11:48 AM
"To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"
Not the book quote. :smalltongue:

H. Zee
2009-04-07, 11:59 AM

Please tell me where that's from - it's irritatingly tip-of-the-tongue, why-can-I-not-friggin'-remember familiar.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-07, 12:01 PM
Please tell me where that's from - it's irritatingly tip-of-the-tongue, why-can-I-not-friggin'-remember familiar.

Cowboy Bebop

charl
2009-04-07, 12:06 PM
"I do."

From the end of the Wildstorm comic series The Establishment.

H. Zee
2009-04-07, 12:07 PM
Cowboy Bebop

Thank you.

Can't believe I forgot that. *breathes sigh of relief*

BRC
2009-04-07, 12:19 PM
"Five Percent"

Spider Jerusalem

Telonius
2009-04-07, 12:20 PM
"Do you think he will ever find it?" - James Hilton, Lost Horizon

"Look at it carefully so that you will be sure to recognise it in case you travel some day to the African desert. And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

"And so I leave it with all of you: Which came out of the opened door - the lady, or the tiger?" - Frank Stockton, "The Lady or the Tiger"

"The End ....?" - Dr. Seuss, "The Butter Battle Book"

Verruckt
2009-04-07, 12:25 PM
"Five Percent"

Spider Jerusalem

God Yes! I love you BRC. (although technically the last words are 6 panels worth of maniacal cackling, but both work for me)

also:
"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"

If I can get one of my characters to die screaming that I will live fulfilled.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-04-07, 12:36 PM
"The End"

Seriously though, most of mine are already taken, but two in particular I love:

"He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said." - I couldn't agree more. It's surprisingly powerful.

"Bang." - A perfect ending for the character.

Tensu
2009-04-07, 01:39 PM
Cowboy Bebop

Ah yes! Of course! How could I have forgotten that?

I often give the last episode of cowboy bebop as the definition of a climax.

Thufir
2009-04-07, 01:47 PM
Character's last words:

"The rest is silence."

"Die, life! Fly, soul! Tongue, curse thy fill and die!"

End of play:

"Terminat hora diem; terminat author opus."

"Meet heaven and earth, and here let all things end!
For earth hath spent the pride of all her fruit,
And heaven consumed his choicest living fire.
Let earth and heaven his timeless death deplore,
For both their worths will equal him no more."

Telonius
2009-04-07, 02:30 PM
"I can taste key lime pie." - gotta be up there among the weirdest. :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-04-07, 02:31 PM
Two examples:

The final words of the original series of Doctor Who (said by the Seventh Doctor, who, by the way, is my favorite Doctor):
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold."

The omnious ending of the Warcraft novel Night of the Dragon:

The day of the dragon is over, Deathwing thought to himself with anticipation for the imminent future. Its night is almost upon Azeroth... and after that night has swept away the old flights... there shall come a new dawn... The dawn of my new world...

Tam_OConnor
2009-04-07, 02:48 PM
Technically a movie: John Carpenter's Dark Star:
"Let there be light."

Verruckt
2009-04-07, 05:17 PM
Technically a movie: John Carpenter's Dark Star:
"Let there be light."

"And there was light..."

That's also the last line of another zomgwtfh4x epic story, a short by Asimov called "The Last Question", and it is delivered with what might be accurately described as bowel loosening significance.

lisiecki
2009-04-07, 05:41 PM
So I recently read Cracked.com's 11 Most Badass Last Words of All Time, and it got me thinking; what are some of the best last words in all fiction? Specifically, the top 11? I have some ideas, but I'm interested in hearing my fellow Playgrounder's opinions first.

He spent the bulk of his Swiss account on a new pancreas
and liver, the rest on a new Ono-Sendai and a ticket back to
the Sprawl.
He found work.
He found a girl who called herself Michael.
And one October night, punching himself past the scarlet
tiers of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority, he saw three
figures, tiny, impossible, who stood at the very edge of one
of the vast steps of data. Small as they were, he could make
out the boy's grin, his pink gums, the glitter of the long gray
eyes that had been Riviera's. Linda still wore his jacket; she
waved, as he passed. But the third figure, close behind her,
arm across her shoulders, was himself.
Somewhere, very close, the laugh that wasn't laughter.
He never saw Molly again.

Mr. Scaly
2009-04-07, 07:43 PM
"Never forget Doctor! YOU DID THIS! I NAME YOU FOREVER! YOU ARE THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS!!! AAAAAAAHHHHH!"

Lupy
2009-04-07, 07:44 PM
"And he searched for a long time."

Those of you who read Ender's Game know that in a powerful book, the last page took the cake. (In my edition, that was on the last page with print on it too, there were no ads, which made it special for me.)

I second "Well, I'm back."

"Now, all is well, now, all is complete." The end of the Mallorean, and it made me forgive Eddings for all the lose ends.

"I see something... beautiful." I can't remember just what this is from. :smallfrown:
"You're right... It is... different." Same as above. :smallfrown:

BRC
2009-04-07, 07:48 PM
"Well, I'm Back" sounds very familiar, but I can't remember where it's from.

Lupy
2009-04-07, 07:50 PM
"Well, I'm Back" sounds very familiar, but I can't remember where it's from.

The Return of the King.

Zarah
2009-04-07, 09:09 PM
"You know, it's funny. We went to the war never looking to come back, but it's the real world I couldn't survive. You two carried me through that war and now I need you to carry me just a little bit further. If you can. Tell my folks I wanted to do right by them and that I'm at peace and all. When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, well... Yeah, you know the rest."

Okay, so it's only the ending of a single episode, but still, that scene was one of the best moments in all of Firefly. The last lines of the entire series are pretty good too, although for entirely different reasons:

"Well... Here I am."

RtBT
2009-04-07, 09:21 PM
"Damn it." - Light's last words in Death Note.

Neon Knight
2009-04-07, 09:21 PM
"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

Weezer
2009-04-07, 09:55 PM
How about:
"Behold the Unbeliever departs. The High Lord has fallen."

These simple words sum up the despair and hopelessness that permeates the end of the Illearth War.

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-07, 10:55 PM
"I can taste key lime pie." - gotta be up there among the weirdest. :smallbiggrin:

He spent the bulk of his Swiss account on a new pancreas
and liver, the rest on a new Ono-Sendai and a ticket back to
the Sprawl.
He found work.
He found a girl who called herself Michael.
And one October night, punching himself past the scarlet
tiers of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority, he saw three
figures, tiny, impossible, who stood at the very edge of one
of the vast steps of data. Small as they were, he could make
out the boy's grin, his pink gums, the glitter of the long gray
eyes that had been Riviera's. Linda still wore his jacket; she
waved, as he passed. But the third figure, close behind her,
arm across her shoulders, was himself.
Somewhere, very close, the laugh that wasn't laughter.
He never saw Molly again.

Character's last words:

"The rest is silence."

"Die, life! Fly, soul! Tongue, curse thy fill and die!"

End of play:

"Terminat hora diem; terminat author opus."

"Meet heaven and earth, and here let all things end!
For earth hath spent the pride of all her fruit,
And heaven consumed his choicest living fire.
Let earth and heaven his timeless death deplore,
For both their worths will equal him no more."

"In the twilight of autumn it sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, an borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song."

"Do you think anyone's lives are ever normal?"
"Nope, that is why people live them"

have fun being stumped.

Can people please, for the love of God, give some damn sources? Yes, I realize that's gonna mean spoilers, but I think it's kinda implied what with these being the last lines and all. I mean, yeah, I know where some of these are from, but there are a couple that I don't , or at least that I don't recognize off the top of my head, and some of them don't seem to give any results off google.

As for my favorite, right now both
"Chaos has a weak left.", said by Ghostwheel at the end of Prince of Amber, by Roger Zelanzny

and
"Got any tanna?", Said by COMMISSAR CAIPHAS CAIN at the end of Death or Glory

The Tygre
2009-04-07, 11:16 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this thread to be so popular! There are so many great quotes here, I don't know what to go with! See, I'm part of this forum that's been around a while, but it's on it's last limbs. So I wanted to gather up some good dying quotes, so to speak. I already got real-life ones, so I came here to ask for some fictional ones. But now I just want it to keep going! This entire topic is like one big Crowning Moment of Heartwarming/Crowning Moment of Awesome/Tear Jerker all in one. So, here are a few of my favorites, I guess:

"The wind...is blowing" - Ganondorf

"Save me? You already have." - Darth Vader

"Rosebud..." - Citizen Kane

"Calypso!" - Davey Jones

"Don't stop, Fry; I want to see how it ends." - Futurama

"Fly, you fools!" - Gandalf

"Ave atque vale" - V from V for Vendetta

"And I love you." - The Thief and the Cobbler

I know, not really a who's who of unique quotes, but still some of my favorites from fiction. However, I find that I still like real life last quotes alot more; they don't hit alot, but when they do, they hit hard.

Jamin
2009-04-07, 11:24 PM
"Well Gosh"

Nevrmore
2009-04-08, 12:54 AM
"We look forward to getting you back."
Said by an orderly to the institutionalized Narrator of Fight Club, expressing his desire to see Tyler Durden return.

"Of course. Must protect Veidt's new utopia. What's one more body amongst foundations? Well, what are you waiting for? Do it...DO IT!!"
Said by Rorschach, to Dr. Manhatten, in Watchmen, telling the superman to kill him because he won't compromise his beliefs.

"Hey, Mac. They said you escaped. I knew you wouldn't leave without me. I was waiting for you...Now we can make it, Mac. I feel big as a damn mountain!" *Examines McMurphy and notices the scars on his forehead* "...Oh no...I'm not going without you, Mac. I wouldn't leave you this way. You're coming with me. Let's go."
Said by Chief Bromden to R.P. McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest when he realizes that his friend had been lobotomized.

"I was cured, all right!"
Said by Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange (film version), whilst fantasizing about having sex with two girls in the snow and realizing that the brainwashing that had kept him from thinking about anything violent or sexual had been reversed.

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?! Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!"
Said by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, from Full Metal Jacket, to Gomer Pyle, who had gone insane and was leveling his rifle at the drill instructor. Unsurprisingly, Hartman is shot approximately one second after giving this line.

"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me? M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. We were sparked from coast to coast and far across the sea. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse. Forever let us hold our banner high. High. High. High. High. We paly fair but we work hard and we're in harmony. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. Hey there! Hi there! Ho there! You're as welcome as can be. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse. Forever let us hold our banner high. High. High. High. High. Boys and girls from far and near are welcome as can be. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. Come along and sing a song you're welcome as can be. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. Mickey Mouse..."
Sung by all of the soldiers at the end of Full Metal Jacket as they walk placidly away from the burning village that had just been the stage of a bloody, drawn out battle.

"They must know it was the rats; the slithering scurrying rats whose scampering will never let me sleep; the daemon rats that race behind the padding in this room and beckon me down to greater horrors than I have ever known; the rats they can never hear; the rats, the rats in the walls."
Said (thought, rather) by Delapore at the end of The Rats in the Walls, showing that even after Exham Priory was demolished and he was moved into a mental institution for his attack on Captain Norrys and subsequent breakdown into insanity, the hallucinatory rats behind the walls still torment him.

"The knife came down, missing him by inches, and he took off."
Catch-22, Yossarian dodges a stabbing attempt by the whore from Rome, an apt phyiscal metaphor for his escape from the choking military bureaucracy that's caused the death of many of his friends, and makes his way to Sweden to stay with Orr.

Hmm...I think that's enough for now.

Enlong
2009-04-08, 01:11 AM
Can people please, for the love of God, give some damn sources? Yes, I realize that's gonna mean spoilers, but I think it's kinda implied what with these being the last lines and all. I mean, yeah, I know where some of these are from, but there are a couple that I don't , or at least that I don't recognize off the top of my head, and some of them don't seem to give any results off google.

As for my favorite, right now both
"Chaos has a weak left.", said by Ghostwheel at the end of Prince of Amber, by Roger Zelanzny

and
"Got any tanna?", Said by COMMISSAR CAIPHAS CAIN at the end of Death or Glory

Fixed. Sorry.

Tensu
2009-04-08, 02:03 AM
"The wind...is blowing" - Ganondorf

While I wouldn't say those last words where his best, everything he said leading up to it was pretty epic.

and to think that all this time he wasn't such a bad guy after all... I didn't really want to fight him, I wanted to give him the hug he's been needing for centuries now and tell him it was all going to be ok. I was just afraid to because you know, he's freaking Gannondorf.

I seem to recall Gannondorf's rant about his imortality in TP to be pretty good to.

Verruckt
2009-04-08, 04:21 AM
"It's... too much... all the sadness, all the death, it's too much for anyone to carry with them. Anyone but you."
Punisher MAX volume 8, uttered by Jenny Cesare shortly before she shoots herself in the head whilst still on top of Frank Castle. I wont even begin to describe what else was going on in that room, but suffice to say that series is full of great/sorrowful last lines and a really weird combination of crowning moments of awesome, heartwarming and squick.

Cheesegear
2009-04-08, 05:03 AM
"Go now. There are other worlds than these."

"May you find your Tower, Roland, and breach it..."

Both from the same book series.

latwPIAT
2009-04-08, 06:31 AM
She won't live. But then again, who does?
Ah, I love Blade Runner.
The penultimate line is equally epic:

I've seen thing you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glitter in the dark near Tännhauser Gate. All those memories will be lost... like tears... in the rain. Time to die.

Thufir
2009-04-08, 07:10 AM

Mine, in the order I posted them:

Hamlet, Hamlet
Barabas, The Jew of Malta

Doctor Faustus
Tamburlaine the Great, Part II

Finn Solomon
2009-04-08, 07:16 AM
"THE KING IN THE NORTH! THE KING IN THE NORTH! Catelyn looked around her in wonder as one by one, the great lords and knights bent their knee and knelt before her own son, Robb Stark the Young Wolf. As he bid them rise, they raised their swords and their cries shook the rafters of her father's hall.

All bent the knee and swore fealty to her son, and gave forth to a cry that had not been heard in these lands for a thousand years.

"All hail the King in the North!"

- A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin

Powerful, uplifting, makes you want to tear your shirt and beat your own chest and kick some Lannister arse. Later events eventuated as they did, but still, at the time you felt that House Stark would get some revenge.

"I am very tired, sister."

- Dream, to Death, Neil Gaiman's Sandman

Poor dream king. All that power, but lacking the emotional responsibility to deal with it. Was it a suicide or an unpreventable murder? Nobody but himself will ever know.

"Thank you for my second chance...father."

- Eddie Dean to Roland Deschain, Stephen King's Dark Tower

The drug addict turned gunslinger turned hero, Eddie Dean's road to redemption was one of the better things Roland made happen on his road to the Tower.

"Whatever your plan was, Baldrick, I'm sure it would have been better than my plan to get out of this mess by feigning madness. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here? Good luck, everybody."

- Captain Edmund Blackadder, Blackadder the BBC comedy series

The horror of WWI trench warfare was brought home in the final episode of Blackadder, one of the triumphs of British comedy. Really lent a touch of seriousness, sadness and heartbreak when you see the Captain and his men charging over the top of the trenches to almost certain death.

"Now, bring me that horizon."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Not only does it sum up everything about Jack Sparrow in a single, kick-ass line, it was ad-libbed on the spot by the incomparable Johnny Depp.

Dienekes
2009-04-08, 12:17 PM
"It's called Daisy. Daisy, Daisy. Give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."
HAL 9000

Telonius
2009-04-08, 01:33 PM

Mine was:
Lord Manpower the Temporary, from Erfworld. :smallbiggrin:

Sotextli
2009-04-08, 05:06 PM
*Everything asplodes*
"You met me at a very strange time in my life"
-Fight Club (movie version).

lisiecki
2009-04-08, 07:12 PM
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Tyrant
2009-04-08, 11:03 PM
I always liked the ending lines of Conan the Barbarian
"So, did Conan return the wayward daughter of King Osric to her home. And having no further concern, he and his companions sought adventure in the West. Many wars and feuds did Conan fight. Honor and fear were heaped upon his name and, in time, he became a king by his own hand... And this story shall also be told. "
I think that movie had several great lines (Conan's prayer to Crom, King Osric's line about the throne room becoming a prison, Thulsa Doom explaining the riddle of steel) but this is the final part of the movie.

"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" -Obi Wan's last line as a corporeal being anyway.

"He says there's a storm coming."
"I know." -The Terminator

"That wasn't funny. That wasn't funny at all"
-The Joker v1.0, Batman Beyond Return of the Joker Unrated version

"And now young Skywalker, you will die"
-Palpatine, though I suppose his last line is technically "Aaaahhhhhhh"

"But, it was so artistically done"
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

"And in the end, as the darkness takes me... I am nothing. "
-Darth Malak

"Good night Sue. I love you too."
-Ralph Dibney, Identity Crisis It's very sad in the context of the story.

"Defeating the alien my boy. What in the world could possibly compare with saving my people from Superman."
-Lex Luthor, Red Son This is his response to being asked what he believed his greatest achievement was while on his death bed.

"Lex, I know you're not going to hear this message for a while or even see the explosion until the light reaches you. But there's something I have to say before I go, well played old friend."
-Superman, Red Son

"This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off."
-Alien, and Alien 3 unless I am mistaken

"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. "
-The Joker, The Dark Knight Not his absolute last line, but the start of his final conversation with Batman. Not only does it summarize their relationship, but to me anyway it really drove home the loss of Ledger's talent (the loss of his life was obviously tragic) with the comment about their struggle lasting forever.

Colmarr
2009-04-08, 11:51 PM
The horror of WWI trench warfare was brought home in the final episode of Blackadder, one of the triumphs of British comedy. Really lent a touch of seriousness, sadness and heartbreak when you see the Captain and his men charging over the top of the trenches to almost certain death.

Minor nitpick: This is the final line from the series "Blackadder Goes Fourth".

There were three previous series named "Blackadder", "Blackadder the Second" and Blackadder the Third". I personally think the third series was the best.

Tensu
2009-04-09, 02:03 AM
"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. "
-The Joker, The Dark Knight Not his absolute last line, but the start of his final conversation with Batman. Not only does it summarize their relationship, but to me anyway it really drove home the loss of Ledger's talent (the loss of his life was obviously tragic) with the comment about their struggle lasting forever.

that was pretty awesome:smallbiggrin:

Hell Puppi
2009-04-09, 02:15 AM
"Go now. There are other worlds than these."

"May you find your Tower, Roland, and breach it..."

Both from the same book series.

"The man in black fled into the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...."

SatyreIkon
2009-04-09, 02:46 AM
"On a summer night, with couples going their own ways, and silky purple twilight growing between the trees. From the castle, long after the celebrations had ended, faint laughter and the ringing of little silver bells. And from the empty hillside, only the silence of the elves."
-Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies-

Why special?
Because it plays nicely with the ending of Midsummer Night's Dream and shows that happiness is possible without the elves (that is: Without the need for fancy dreams)

"Gaff had been there, and let her live. Four years, he figured. He was wrong. Tyrell had told me Rachael was special. No termination date. I didn't know how long we had together... Who does?"
-Blade Runner-

Why special?
Because it reminds of the fragility of life and that we should savour every moment with our loved ones.

"He found work.
He found a girl who called herself Michael. And one October night, punching himself past the scarlet tiers of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority, he saw three figures, tiny, impossible, who stood at the very edge of one out the vast steps of data. Small as they were, he could make out the boy’s grin, his pink gums, the glitter of the long gray eyes that had been Riviera’s. Linda still wore his jacket; she waved, as he passed. But the third figure, close behind her, arm across her shoulders, was himself.
Somewhere, very close, the laugh that wasn’t laughter.
He never saw Molly again."
-William Gibson, Neuromancer-

Why special?
Because it wraps a fantastic plot up nicely.

And the classic:
"But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
He drew a deep breath. "Well, I'm back," he said."
-Final words from The Lord of the Rings-

Why special?
Hey, it's the BOOK OF BOOKS! :smallbiggrin: No, tell a lie: It's so SIMPLE, so HOMELY, so BEAUTIFUL! All the warmth of homecoming wrapped up in a few words.

(By the way: Could anyone send me a PN and explain how I insert those fancy "Spoiler" boxes? :smallbiggrin:)

The_Snark
2009-04-09, 04:29 AM
"He's got away from us, Jack."
"'Fraid you're right, Mr. Helpmann. He's gone."

From the movie Brazil. A rather surreal and darkly funny ending, which makes it a perfect fit with the rest of the film.

Kris Strife
2009-04-09, 06:04 AM
Just about anyones last words in a Redwall book.

"See ya later Bro." Kamina, first leader of team Dai-Gurren

"But it's too late. For this is the day---- that a Superman died." DC comics "The Death of Superman"

"I just surfed a Robo Dracula from the moon, so all yalls can just take it." Dr. McNinja, "Punch Dracula" arc. Not the final words, but better than the real ones.