PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding monsters with battlefield controlling abilities (3.5)

jcsw
2009-04-07, 08:13 AM
Well, this is an amusing request:

I've got a boss encounter, Wizard 5/War Weaver 5/Spellguard of Silverymoon 5/Legacy Champion 5. Can cast personal spells of up to level 9 through the weave. Also found a way to make all spells heal, so yes, I can cast time stop through the weave.

She's surrounded by high HP underlings...

What this means? Mass Shapechange.

But obviously I could have mass beholders shooting eye beams at the PCs, but this isn't fun. So I decided that each round the underlings should change form to something new, countering the PCs previous strategies, forcing them to change strategies each round.

And so, the first round involves a shared time stop where all the underlings massively alter the battlefield.

Which brings me to the question: There are a number of monsters with battlefield altering abilities. The top in my mind is the Magmacore Golem, which can create pools of lava on the field. What others out there exist?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-07, 08:29 AM
Anything with a wall SLA. A sculpted Wall of Stone is FUN!

EDIT: You can use it to create 3D mazes if you have enough time/creatures (I forget what the sculpted area can be for a cube). Then you all turn into tanar'ri and summon an army of demons to hunt the players down! You can wear anyone down after enough mariliths.

Telonius
2009-04-07, 09:43 AM
Are you just looking for things that can literally alter the battlefield (as in, changing where rough terrain is, making a hill, etc), or would figuratively altering the battlefield (summoning, Fear aura, Blasphemy, etc) work as well?

jcsw
2009-04-07, 10:48 AM
Well, anything which can be done within a time stop, really, but note that the PCs are actually ECL 22.

Also, avoid spamming saves at PCs, that's just no fun. (If I wanted to do *that*, they'd all shapechange into beholders...)

(Yeah I think the cheese factor is enough to make the ECL 20 encounter dangerous enough. :P)