PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Acrobat boots, as Armor?

Darth Stabber
2009-04-07, 10:25 AM
Now Correct me if any of the information here is fallacious.
1. Dropping Prone = Free action
2. Acrobat Boots @will standup = Free action
3. +2 ac against ranged attacks for being Prone
4. No OA while Prone
5. Grant CA to non ranged attacks while prone
6. you may take a free action @ anytime
7. You may use any number of free actions

SO, Acrobat boots give their wearer +2 ac against ranged attacks. Am I missing something?

herrhauptmann
2009-04-07, 10:33 AM
Acrobat boots are a minor action to stand.
Plus are you intending to drop prone right before an archer shoots you, then stand back up when his turn is over? If so, I don't believe that 'free action' means you can do it on someone elses turn.

RTGoodman
2009-04-07, 10:36 AM
First, acrobat boots make it a MINOR action to stand, not a free action. Second, unless I'm mistaken, the DM has free rein to limit the number of free actions you can take in a round anyway.

Also, 'tis a silly idea in the first place.

kieza
2009-04-07, 10:44 AM
I think that free actions can be used off of your turn, but not during another action; so you could drop prone after the archer shot at you and the attack was resolved, just in case he had another attack, but not before his first shot hit you.

The bigger question is why you would want to do this. Keep in mind, you grant combat advantage against melee attacks while prone, for +2 attack and potentially sneak attack, so unless you're fighting nothing that can reach you in melee, intentionally lying down is a bad move. Also, the archer can just ready an action to shoot you when you stand up to move or counterattack, unless you want to eat the -2 attack penalty. Plus, I think the boots make it a Minor action to stand, not free.

Darth Stabber
2009-04-07, 10:49 AM
Dang, I hoped. oh well.