PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Changling Totemist Warshaper

JeenLeen
2009-04-07, 10:47 AM
I am designing a lv 18 character, Changling race (MMIII) with Totemist as a preferred class houseruled in. Weak race, but easy way to qualify for Warshaper. Totemist 10/Fighter 4/Warshaper 4.

I'm wondering for some advice on maximizing the physical combat he's capable of. I have my natural weapons upgraded to huge (warshaper ability and Improved Natural Weapons). I currently have 4 claws and rend from Girallion Arms (chakra bound to both Arms and Totem), two tentacles from the Deepspawn feat (Lords of Madness), and a horn from a Horned Helm (Magic Item Compendium). I have pounce from a chakra-bound Sphinx Claws and the Power Attack-Improved Power Attack-Leap Attack-Shock Trooper feat chain.
I also have the feat that makes my secondary attacks at -2 instead of -5.

To my understanding, I currently get a full strengh bonus on one claw, then secondary attacks of 3 claws, possibly a rend, two tentacles, and a gore each charge or full attack.

First off: mechanically, does this work? I'm not too familiar with natural weapons or secondary attacks.
With souldmelds, can I have one souldmeld (Girillion) bound to the Totem and Arm chakra at the same time? If so, I assume it counts as two chakra binds.

Second: Any advice on strengthening this build? I'm mostly thinking of more ways to increase the effective size of my natural weapons. (I can't a start a new PrC until I finish warshaper.)

Third: any advice as I advance towards epic?

Darrin
2009-04-07, 12:04 PM
I also have the feat that makes my secondary attacks at -2 instead of -5.

Improved Multiattack (I think it's a general feat in the epic rules?) can drop that to zero.

To my understanding, I currently get a full strengh bonus on one claw, then secondary attacks of 3 claws, possibly a rend, two tentacles, and a gore each charge or full attack.

If you take the Double Chakra feat, you can add Lamia Belt for another two secondary claw attacks. Threefold Mask of the Chimera might also be good to double-down on, since it offers three natural attacks, but mechanics-wise I'm not sure if the text allows all three to be used as secondary attacks (text says one, but I think RAW says all natural attacks can become secondary attacks). Heart of Fire could also be interesting... 1d4 fire damage/essentia on all your natural attacks.

Another soulmeld you might want to add is Chaos Roc's Span (Dragon #350). Chaos Roc's Span adds two wing buffets as secondary attacks. They only do subdual damage, but you can bind them to your shoulders to do lethal damage (although you probably already have Totem Avatar there for the size increase).

If you have room for it, Shape Soulmeld: Thunderstep Boots works well with any pounce build. Sonic damage on a charge + chance to stun.

First off: mechanically, does this work? I'm not too familiar with natural weapons or secondary attacks.
With souldmelds, can I have one souldmeld (Girillion) bound to the Totem and Arm chakra at the same time? If so, I assume it counts as two chakra binds.

Normally, you can't shape multiples of the same soulmeld or bind one soulmeld to multiple chakras. However, an 11th level Totemist can bind a soulmeld to his Totem chakra and another chakra at the same time.

Second: Any advice on strengthening this build? I'm mostly thinking of more ways to increase the effective size of my natural weapons. (I can't a start a new PrC until I finish warshaper.)

You might want to consider replacing the /Fighter 4/ with something else. Psychic Warrior 4, for example, would give you access to Expansion, Claws of the Beast, Claws of the Vampire, and Hustle. Once you have both Totem Avatar and Improved Natural Attack, the only way to increase your natural attacks beyond that are with a size increase. Expansion is one of the easiest ways to get a size increase, and Practiced Manifester should allow you to augment it up to two size increases if you have enough PP.

Barbarian 1 (City Brawler/Spirit Lion variants)/Fist of the Forest 3 could be interesting... you could get pounce, whirling frenzy, Imp. Unarmed Strike, TWF (Unarmed Strike Only), 1d10 base unarmed damage, unarmed strikes counting as natural weapons, bite attack, Con bonus to AC, and a few other perks.

Warblade 1/Bloodclaw Master 3 also has possibilities, like reducing TWF penalties to zero and getting full Strength bonus on secondary attacks.

Chronos
2009-04-07, 05:42 PM
Another great PrC for Totemists is Kensai, from Complete Warrior. Take 9 levels of Totemist to qualify for Double Chakra, so you get six claws (Girallon Arms + Lamia Belt). Then enhance all of your claws using Kensai, giving them all sorts of special abilities. Of especial note here is the Defending ability: It only costs a +1 bonus, it stacks with everything, and it scales with the weapon's enhancement bonus (which you can get up to +6 with essentia). So if you're in a situation where you can't make a full attack, you use your full offensive bonus in your primary claw, and have each of your five secondary claws give you a +6 AC bonus.

Also note, by the way, that the claws from Lamia Belt don't get an enhancement bonus, but they don't need to, since the Girallon Arms essentia bonus applies to all of your claw attacks (it doesn't specify just the ones from that soulmeld). So six points of your essentia in one soulmeld will power up all six of your weapons.

And with that many attacks per round, you really, really want some source of bonus damage. A dip in Swordsage at 9th level or later can give you boosts like Burning Blade, that adds 1d6 plus 1 for every two character levels, and 2d6 Sneak Attack from Assassin's Stance. Once you have Sneak Attack, you can also pick up the Craven feat from Champions of Ruin, and add damage equal to your character level to every sneak attack.

Sinfire Titan
2009-04-08, 02:15 AM
Another great PrC for Totemists is Kensai, from Complete Warrior. Take 9 levels of Totemist to qualify for Double Chakra, so you get six claws (Girallon Arms + Lamia Belt). Then enhance all of your claws using Kensai, giving them all sorts of special abilities. Of especial note here is the Defending ability: It only costs a +1 bonus, it stacks with everything, and it scales with the weapon's enhancement bonus (which you can get up to +6 with essentia). So if you're in a situation where you can't make a full attack, you use your full offensive bonus in your primary claw, and have each of your five secondary claws give you a +6 AC bonus.

Also note, by the way, that the claws from Lamia Belt don't get an enhancement bonus, but they don't need to, since the Girallon Arms essentia bonus applies to all of your claw attacks (it doesn't specify just the ones from that soulmeld). So six points of your essentia in one soulmeld will power up all six of your weapons.

And with that many attacks per round, you really, really want some source of bonus damage. A dip in Swordsage at 9th level or later can give you boosts like Burning Blade, that adds 1d6 plus 1 for every two character levels, and 2d6 Sneak Attack from Assassin's Stance. Once you have Sneak Attack, you can also pick up the Craven feat from Champions of Ruin, and add damage equal to your character level to every sneak attack.

And Indigo Strike, for an extra 2-10 damage/sneak attack.

But if you want to be dishing out some real damage, go Totemist 20, grab Manticore Belt, then optimize the hell out of your ranged attack bonus and damage. Here's a link to a character like that I threw together to prove a point. Change things as needed. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=18144217&postcount=211)