PDA

View Full Version : Spell Immunity (3.5)

Elurindel
2009-04-07, 10:51 AM
I need to clarify a rule regarding spell immunity.

As I understand it, a creature that is immune to spells can lower this immunity as a standard action. This would be useful for a character that is itself a spellcaster.
My question is, though: If the creature were then to raise its immunity up again, would any buffs it had cast upon itself then cease to function?

Kylarra
2009-04-07, 10:54 AM
I assume you mean spell resistance since spell immunity is a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellImmunity.htm)

but

A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

Tehnar
2009-04-07, 11:01 AM
Since the spell grants you unbeatable spell resistance against certain spells, you could use a standard action to lower it so someone can cast those spells on you. But the question is, why would you want to? You would probably protect yourself from spells that adversly affect you, not those you would stand to benefit something from.

But if you somehow were affected by such a warded spell, and stopped suppressing that spell resistance, I would rule you would be still affected by such a spell.

Elurindel
2009-04-07, 11:01 AM
Thank you. I do mean spell immunity, as there are creatures immune to spells that are immune to spells.

Case in point: Awakened Golems and Demilichs.

Kylarra
2009-04-07, 11:04 AM
Well...

Spell Immunity

A creature with spell immunity avoids the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome. Sometimes spell immunity is conditional or applies to only spells of a certain kind or level. Spells that do not allow spell resistance are not affected by spell immunity.

Thus, my above quote still applies, though my site-google-fu failed me. :smallfrown:

Elurindel
2009-04-07, 11:05 AM
Well...

Thus, my above quote still applies, though my site-google-fu failed me. :smallfrown:

So a creature immnue to spells never has to lower its immunity in order to buff itself.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear :)