PDA

View Full Version : One thread per topic!

Robert Paulson
2009-04-07, 12:55 PM
If only there were a rule against chewing up half the first page with duplicate threads on the same topic!

Barring the adoption of an actual rule on point, I propose that we, the posters of this forum, enter a gentlemen's accord in which we agree not to post new threads until we have searched for similar discussions in existing threads.

Is there some way to get this stuck at the top of the forum so everyone will be sure to see it?

Thx!

Nimrod's Son
2009-04-07, 01:01 PM
Is there some way to get this stuck at the top of the forum so everyone will be sure to see it?
What, you mean like the announcement right there at the very top of the page (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) with exactly the same title as this thread?

Is your post deliberately ironic or something?

Yendor
2009-04-07, 01:09 PM
What, you mean like the announcement right there at the very top of the page (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) with exactly the same title as this thread?
And the other announcement exactly like it?

I think the moderator's certainly was.

Robert Paulson
2009-04-07, 02:01 PM
Er...

what?

Aaron
2009-04-07, 02:20 PM
If only there were a rule against chewing up half the first page with duplicate threads on the same topic!

Barring the adoption of an actual rule on point, I propose that we, the posters of this forum, enter a gentlemen's accord in which we agree not to post new threads until we have searched for similar discussions in existing threads.

Thx!

I agree. Their are WAY TOO MANY threads with the same topic! Like right now their are too many threads about "what V will do next, V's gender, V's alignment, V's actions, epic spells, and so on..." All of those are ALREADY BEING TALKED ABOUT in either the sticky threads or already existing threads. Before someone posts a new thread, does it hurt to first see if the topic you want to discuss is already in a thread on the first three pages? No, it doesn't hurt. You could also use the handy tool on the top-right of the main OOTS forum page that says, "Search this Forum."

The moderators can't manage the forums 24/7. They can't be our babysiters. We need to be responable for our own actions. Remember, the forums are a privialige, not a right. The Giant could put special restrictions into effect on the forums if this continues to get out of hand.

Stormthorn
2009-04-07, 02:34 PM
I have a problem with that rule because often times two threads while be started that are similar but subtly different and one of them will be shut-down in favor of the other one.

Another problem is if one is more general than the other. Your obligated to make your commentsa or ask your questions within the more general thread where it might ge toverlooked rather than starting a new thread asking that question.

Why did the OP start this thread, btw? Im looking at the title soff all the first page threads and they dont seem to be clones....

You could also use the handy tool on the top-right of the main OOTS forum page that says, "Search this Forum."

Having actualy tried to use that on occasion i dont blame anyone for not using it.

Keris
2009-04-07, 02:35 PM
Er...

what?

You made a thread to suggest that "One Thread per Topic" be accepted as a forum rule, while at the top of the page there is an announcement stating that it is.
The announcement is actually up there twice, as Roland was feeling ironic when he made it.

This means that your thread is a duplicate. This is another thread on an existing topic. So, either you were being as unobservant as the people who make duplicate threads, or you were deliberately ignoring the announcement (which is titled "One thread per topic!", just like your thread) to make an ironic statement.

Haven
2009-04-07, 02:36 PM
And the other announcement exactly like it?

I think the moderator's certainly was.

Haha, wow, I never noticed that.

Go mods.

But yeah, I have to assume this is a joke thread. Or if it wasn't, well...it is now.

I just lost The Game.

JJ48
2009-04-07, 02:37 PM
Er...

what?

I believe Nimrod's Son was referring to this post here, by the mods. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=22&a=46)

Robert Paulson
2009-04-07, 02:57 PM
You made a thread to suggest that "One Thread per Topic" be accepted as a forum rule, while at the top of the page there is an announcement stating that it is.
The announcement is actually up there twice, as Roland was feeling ironic when he made it.

This means that your thread is a duplicate. This is another thread on an existing topic. So, either you were being as unobservant as the people who make duplicate threads, or you were deliberately ignoring the announcement (which is titled "One thread per topic!", just like your thread) to make an ironic statement.

Come again? :confused:

Robert Paulson
2009-04-07, 02:59 PM
I agree. Their are WAY TOO MANY threads with the same topic! Like right now their are too many threads about "what V will do next, V's gender, V's alignment, V's actions, epic spells, and so on..." All of those are ALREADY BEING TALKED ABOUT in either the sticky threads or already existing threads. Before someone posts a new thread, does it hurt to first see if the topic you want to discuss is already in a thread on the first three pages? No, it doesn't hurt. You could also use the handy tool on the top-right of the main OOTS forum page that says, "Search this Forum."

The moderators can't manage the forums 24/7. They can't be our babysiters. We need to be responable for our own actions. Remember, the forums are a privialige, not a right. The Giant could put special restrictions into effect on the forums if this continues to get out of hand.

A Gentleman's Accord! Huzzah! :smallsmile:

Zeitgeist
2009-04-07, 04:52 PM

lol

Well played, sir.

NerfTW
2009-04-07, 06:01 PM

Thx!

So what you're saying is that instead of reading the actual rules of the forum, you're just going to make up your own, which coincidentally, are already rules, making your thread a repeat topic.

Pyron
2009-04-07, 06:09 PM
:smallconfused: One thread per topic?

I thought it was one thread per round.

JJ48
2009-04-07, 06:10 PM
Wait, I'm confused now. I mean, no big surprise, since I confuse easily, but could someone please answer this question, clearly and unambiguously:

Is this thread an ironic joke, or is it serious?

Logalmier
2009-04-07, 06:18 PM
Wait, I'm confused now. I mean, no big surprise, since I confuse easily, but could someone please answer this question, clearly and unambiguously:

It's a seriously ironic joke.

JJ48
2009-04-07, 06:20 PM
It's a serious ironic joke.

This isn't, perchance, "Schrodinger's Topic", is it?

Aaron
2009-04-07, 07:29 PM

No. This is serious. Too many people post new threads that are the same topic as already existing thread.:smallfrown:

JJ48
2009-04-07, 08:33 PM
No. This is serious. Too many people post new threads that are the same topic as already existing thread.:smallfrown:

Exactly. Just like how this thread is a repost of the moderators' announcement here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=22&a=46)

That's the whole point of us who have been saying that this thread is, itself, rather ironic.

Silverraptor
2009-04-07, 08:39 PM
The one thread per topic is annouced on the forum display.

But I have to agree that the multiple theards are getting awfully darn annoying.:smallannoyed: I mean, it's like we're the gods! We each pull on a theard until we have dozens of them then a moderator comes and masses them together into one big snarl, which gets angry and kills us all!

JJ48
2009-04-07, 08:43 PM
The one thread per topic is annouced on the forum display.

But I have to agree that the multiple theards are getting awfully darn annoying.:smallannoyed: I mean, it's like we're the gods! We each pull on a theard until we have dozens of them then a moderator comes and masses them together into one big snarl, which gets angry and kills us all!

Oh, come on now! That analogy is COMPLETELY unwarranted, and furthermore, I feel tha-HRCK!

<<<is unmade by the forum's snarl>>>

Silverraptor
2009-04-07, 08:48 PM
Oh, come on now! That analogy is COMPLETELY unwarranted, and furthermore, I feel tha-HRCK!

<<<is unmade by the forum's snarl>>>

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! What have I done! JJ48, forgive me! You will always be remembered. *sniff*:smallfrown:

...Haha.:smallbiggrin:

Morgan Wick
2009-04-07, 08:50 PM
Would it help if threads on common topics were stickied at least temporarily?

JJ48
2009-04-07, 09:03 PM

The problem there being that when you have a LOT of "common topics", you could run into more stickies than there is space for on the first page. So, in essence, you have the same situation as when everything is not stickied. That's why the agreement isn't that you can't have two threads with the same topic, but rather that you just check the first couple of pages of topics before posting a potential "common topic" thread.

(Incidentally, for those of you wondering how I'm typing when I was just unmade by the snarl...I got better.)

Silverraptor
2009-04-07, 09:08 PM
The problem there being that when you have a LOT of "common topics", you could run into more stickies than there is space for on the first page. So, in essence, you have the same situation as when everything is not stickied. That's why the agreement isn't that you can't have two threads with the same topic, but rather that you just check the first couple of pages of topics before posting a potential "common topic" thread.

(Incidentally, for those of you wondering how I'm typing when I was just unmade by the snarl...I got better.)

You mean that you were remade from the excess threads when we built the prison and your now JJ48 edition 2.:smallbiggrin:

ThisIsNotDan
2009-04-07, 11:55 PM
I really wanna go make another "One Thread Per Topic!" thread now. But I think I'll resist.

Internet forums don't respond well to rules, though. In a place like this, you make a few rules for the sake of order that moderators can enforce, and you hope that they eventually kind of become a part of the forum culture. I agree with whoever it was who said that some threads may look similar, but the discussion can move in a completely different direction. I've also seen some threads that were sort of "spawned" from other threads; that is, an idea was mentioned in a thread, and the discussion quickly moved away from it without exploring it in more detail. It would be a pain to try to pull the thread back to discuss that idea (it may even result in a Snarl), so I'd be all for creating a new thread for it, even if the new thread was very similar to the old one.

It wouldn't kill us to use more unique thread titles than, say, "I know V's gender!" or "Belkar's prophecy..." though.

factotum
2009-04-08, 01:32 AM
Internet forums work fine with rules, so long as the rules are enforced. I think they could maybe do with another couple of moderators on this forum--the only active one I've ever seen do anything is Roland St. Jude, and he can't be around all the time!

Robert Paulson
2009-04-08, 08:12 AM

It would go a long way toward solving the problem if this thread were stickied. That's for sure.

Robert Paulson
2009-04-08, 08:15 AM
...Internet forums don't respond well to rules...

...which is why I proposed a gentlemen's accord. Huzzah!

Keris
2009-04-08, 09:01 AM

*sigh* Listen carefully.

This thread is a duplicate thread.

"One thread per topic" is a forum rule already.

So either you were being an idiot when you made this thread, or you were making an ironic statement. That has been made before.
And based on your responses in this thread, I'm guessing it was the former.

It would go a long way toward solving the problem if this thread were stickied. That's for sure.

I doubt that. There are already two stickied announcements stating "One thread per topic!", so a third won't do much.

...which is why I proposed a gentlemen's accord. Huzzah!

You also suggested that this "gentlemen's accord" become a forum rule. Guess what? It is. And has been for several weeks.

And dude? Don't double post. It's completely unnecessary, and against the forum rules.

Robert Paulson
2009-04-08, 09:28 AM
*sigh* Listen carefully.

This thread is a duplicate thread.

"One thread per topic" is a forum rule already.

So either you were being an idiot when you made this thread, or you were making an ironic statement. That has been made before.
And based on your responses in this thread, I'm guessing it was the former.

LOL... wat?

I doubt that. There are already two stickied announcements stating "One thread per topic!", so a third won't do much.

I disagree.

You also suggested that this "gentlemen's accord" become a forum rule. Guess what? It is. And has been for several weeks.

Incorrect.

And dude? Don't double post. It's completely unnecessary, and against the forum rules.

They should write these rules down somewhere so everyone could know them. You know... like the Magna Carta? It's only fair.

MuLepton
2009-04-08, 09:36 AM
They should write these rules down somewhere so everyone could know them. You know... like the Magna Carta? It's only fair.

Like... there maybe: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=22&a=1 ?

ericgrau
2009-04-08, 09:36 AM
Perhaps in the rules of posting. EDIT: ninja'd

I'd be happy if the V's gender/alignment threads would stop repeating, at least.

RMS Oceanic
2009-04-08, 09:40 AM
You know, I don't think making threads to complain about the behaviour of other people is the best way to go about resolving them. It would make more sense to talk to the transgressor and say "we were already discussing it here", possibly report it to the mods to merge the thread and leave it at that. Threads like this come off as overly aggressive in my book, although I'm sure that wasn't your intention, and that may put the people that your grieviences target off reading them, or from contributing in the future.

People do need to look around the forum a bit more before posting sometimes, but if we want them to become a contributer to the board, I don't think threads like this help.

The Minx
2009-04-08, 09:41 AM

It might be a good idea to make it an announcement too, and put it at the top of the page with a title like this:

Announcement: The Revised and Expanded Rules of Posting (Please Read!) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=22&a=1)

Elder Tsofu
2009-04-08, 09:55 AM
{Scrubbed}

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-08, 11:30 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: The best way to deal with duplicate threads would be to politely link to the similar thread underway and report the offending thread with a link to thread you feel it's duplicating. We'll review them and merge them if necessary.