PDA

View Full Version : Silver streaming from the crushing darks (PEACH)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-24, 05:43 PM
Plaskamn

Huge Dragon (aquatic, water)
Hit Dice: 16d12+64 (168 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Swim 90 ft., burrow 10 ft.
Armor Class: 32 (+11 deflection, +3 dex, +10 natural, -2 size), touch 22, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+34
Attack: Bite +24 melee (2d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +24 melee (2d8+10) and tail-slap +19 melee (1d10+10)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, constrict 2d8+15, improved grab, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., colorblind, current mastery, damage reduction 10/magic and riverine, darkvision 240 ft., deepscale, immunity to cold, low-light vision, pierce the darkness, scent
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +13
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 13
Skills: Escape Artist +22, Hide +14, Listen +22, Spot +22, Survival +22, Swim +29
Feats: Blind-Fight, Dodge, Lightening Reflexes, Mobility, Swim-By Attack (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Swim-by_Attack,Sto), Run
Environment: Cold Aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 17-28 HD (Huge), 29-41 HD (Gargantuan), 42-58 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

Plaskamns, also known as Blackwater Dragons, are strange and rarely seen beasts that haunt the deepest trenches where the magical forces of blackwater form tremendous whirlpools within the crushing pressure of the waters. At the bottom are found burrows of pure riverine where the ocean itself has become solid.

Blackwater dragons are the most fluid in motion of all dragons, with scales alike to dark molten metal. These scales shimmer with silver hues across its surface like sunshine over a wet fish despite the utter lack of light. It has four large fins tipped with claws made for digging but unusable for attack. Down its spine and tail are short, rubbery tendrils with thickened ends that glow with a pale illumination as they wave back and forth. The head is large and bulbous with a great unhinged mouth of thousands of nearly transparent teeth, illuminated by a twinkling gullet. The eyes are tiny, mere silver flickers within the face. Two lengthy tendrils appearing as antennae give it an almost insectoid look, the tips shining out blazingly in the night. But reguardless of its illumination it is a colorless creature, all blacks and whites and lesser shades of both.

A plaskamn's mind is much like its surroundings, dark and deep. The waters they dwell within is filled with many of the most horrible monsters around, requiring them to always be on the alert. Thus they often have extensive interconnecting caverns burrowed into the walls of the trenches where they might hide or lie in wait. The more devious the attack the more they like it, and though possessed of no great intelligence, they are always entertaining themselves with the construction of elaborate strategies. When sated they disapear back to their deep lairs, not to reappear for months.

Many plaskamns have a deep racial hatred of aboleths whom they have warred with since the dragons of the deep waters first came to be.

Plaskamns speak aquan, draconic and undercommon.

Combat
Blackwater dragons tend to lie in wait, attracting potential prey with their lights whereupon it fills the area with a dark cloud. They then use their second breath weapon to crush them. If the opponent appears to be more of a challenge it uses devastingly effective hit and run tactics, streaming in and out of its burrows so that one never knows where it might appear.

Breath Weapon (Su): A plaskamn has two breath weapons. A cloud of inky darkness 30 feet high by 30 feet wide by 30 feet long once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment and creatures immune to pressure damage must succeed on a DC 22 fortitude save or be robbed of their immunity for as long as they remain within and for 1 minute afterwards. All vision within the cloud is obscured. The save DC is Consitution based.

And a sphere of blackwater pressure that extends thirty feet before the plaskamn, once every 1d4 rounds. Creatures inside take 16d6 damage, half is pressure and the other negative energy. DC 22 fortitude save halves.

Colorblind (Ex):
A blackwater dragon is completely insensate to colors, similiar to how creatures with darkvision see the world. Thus it is immune to effect that rely on perception of color (such as color spray, but not prismatic effects).

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a blackwater dragon deals 2d8+15 points of damage plus 10 points of pressure damage.

Current Mastery (Su):
A plaskamn can move freely in water and is unaffected by strong currents and the pulls of whirlpools whether natural or supernatural as if continuously under the Freedom of Movement spell.

Deepscale (Ex):
The hide of a blackwater dragon shares many qualities with that of riverine. It is immune to teleportation of any kind as well as damage from ethereal creatures or weapons.

Blackwater dragons are vulnerable to disentegrate spells, taking half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a plaskamn must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict or swallow whole.

Pierce the Darkness (Su):
The lights at the end of the plaskamn's facial tendrils can illuminate an area out to 60 feet. These lights can even temporarily surpress the effects of even magical darkness. It may dim or illuminate these lights at will.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A blackwater dragon can try to swallow a grabbed Medium or smaller opponent by making a successful grapple check.

A swallowed creature takes 2d8+15 points of bludgeoning damage and 20 points of pressure damage per round from the plaskamn's gizzard. Creatures with immunity to pressure damage must succeed on a DC 22 fortitude save each round or temporarily lose their immunity and take the full pressure damage.

A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 26). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. Creatures who have lost their pressure immunity remain vulnerable for 1 round per point they failed their save.

A plaskamn's gizzard can hold 2 Medium, 8 Small, 32 Tiny, or 128 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Skills: A plaskamn has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-24, 09:03 PM
I am curious where to find the effects of a high-pressure area, or creatures with immunity to said pressure effects, beyond the mention here. However, despite this, it's a neat little added mechanic you've got.

...How does this dragon eat if its main forms of attack implode enemies? Including its Swallow Whole ability?

Does the Plaskamn have its own immunity to pressure?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-25, 07:19 AM
Its all explained in Stormwrack where you even have spells dealing pressure damage. Basically any creature with the aquatic subtype is immune to 500 meters. Those that specifically mention living in the depths automatically have immunity to pressure damage. Kinda like how all these high altitude creatures are just automatically assumed to be adapted to thin air.

...How does this dragon eat if its main forms of attack implode enemies? Including its Swallow Whole ability?
It can still suck up whats left, and if the creature is inside when it implodes, then why would there be a problem?

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-25, 01:47 PM
It can still suck up whats left, and if the creature is inside when it implodes, then why would there be a problem?

Ah, yes, that does make sense. I was just kind of weirded out by the idea, I think. You know, this guy saves on tooth wear, considering his main attack (breath weapon) basically chews up and half-digests the food for him.

Unfortunately, I know little about Stormreach, but some of the mechanics involved sound really interesting. Pressure damage, of course, and this riverine material that's resistant to planar interactions but vulnerable to transmutations, both fall under the "really interesting" title.

Why does the Plaskamn have an enormous Deflection bonus to AC? Another riverine mechanic?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-25, 03:12 PM
Why does the Plaskamn have an enormous Deflection bonus to AC? Another riverine mechanic?
Aye, basically half of the protection of riverine is deflection, the other armor.

I didn't 'need' to make it nearly that high, but seemed appropriate.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-25, 03:29 PM
Aye, basically half of the protection of riverine is deflection, the other armor.

I didn't 'need' to make it nearly that high, but seemed appropriate.

Certainly so, I can understand wanting the dragon to have a 30+ AC, given its common foes (krakens, whales, aboleths) have quite decent attack bonuses.

Man, this riverine stuff sounds awesome. Except of course for the whole Disintegration vulnerability... that's less cool.

...and PCs want to be able to teleport... Whatever, it's still cool.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 09:04 AM
[quote]Man, this riverine stuff sounds awesome. Except of course for the whole Disintegration vulnerability... that's less cool.
Aye, it and a couple spells immediately destroy it. So it kinda balanced out the fact that its so good otherwise.

geez3r
2006-06-27, 10:07 AM
Blackwater dragons are the most fluid in motion of all dragons, with scales alike to dark molten metal. These scales shimmer with silver hues across its surface like sunshine over a wet fish despite the utter lack of light. It has four large fins tipped with claws made for digging but unusable for attack. Down its spine and tail are short, rubbery tendrils with thickened ends that glow with a pale illumination as they wave back and forth. The head is large and bulbous with a great unhinged mouth of thousands of nearly transparent teeth, illuminated by a twinkling gullet. The eyes are tiny, mere silver flickers within the face. Two lengthy tendrils appearing as antennae give it an almost insectoid look, the tips shining out blazingly in the night. But reguardless of its illumination it is a colorless creature, all blacks and whites and lesser shades of both.

Very nice description. If you don't mind, I need to yoinkify this for later use. Now, you may want to state somewhere in the description that it has gills or something. Otherwise some rules lawyer will pounce on it and say the dragon drowned or something. I know its aquatic and water subtype make it possible for it to breath underwater, just put it somewhere. Also state whether it can or can not breathe above water, again just to stop any rules lawyer. But aside from that it looks absolutley fantastic.

SpiderBrigade
2006-06-27, 10:15 AM
That really is already covered by the Aquatic subtype, both the ability to waterbreath, and the inability to breathe air unless it is also amphibious.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-30, 02:35 PM
That really is already covered by the Aquatic subtype, both the ability to waterbreath, and the inability to breathe air unless it is also amphibious.
Aye, what he said. And as it doesn't have the amphibious special quality, that means it cannot breathe both.

Edit: Just adjusted some off numbers.

The Demented One
2006-06-30, 03:19 PM
I love the whole idea of a deep-sea riverine dragon, but I'm a bit perplexed by the second mode of breath weapon, in that I've never before seen a creature with a spherical weapon, nor could I visualize how it would work. If the dragon is exhaling it, how could it effect creatures thirty feet behind the dragon?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-30, 05:18 PM
I love the whole idea of a deep-sea riverine dragon, but I'm a bit perplexed by the second mode of breath weapon, in that I've never before seen a creature with a spherical weapon, nor could I visualize how it would work. If the dragon is exhaling it, how could it effect creatures thirty feet behind the dragon?
I worded it badly and adjusted. Basically think of it huffing out a bubble right in front of itself.