PDA

View Full Version : G'day mate... AGHHHHHHHHHH! (PEACH)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 10:03 AM
Dropbear

http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/dropbear.jpg

Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6) and 2 claws +1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Drop, rage
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +8, Hide +4, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Warm Forests
Organization: Solitary, Mates, or Plummet (3-8 )
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 3-5 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Hiding within the tops of the trees, hidden amongst its smaller cousins, waits the dropbear. Despite its flesh-tearing fangs and lengthened claws a dropbear is not easily distinguishable from a normal koala until it falls, crushing in the head of its prey. Its hind quarters are specially padded with muscle and thickened skin so that it takes little damage from its falls.

Combat
A dropbear waits patiently until a potential meal walks beneath, it then allows itself to fall, attempting to knock out its prey. If unsuccessful it clings, biting madly as it holds on like death itself.

Drop (Ex):
A dropbear located above a flat-footed victim can attempt to fall and strike its victim as a ranged touch attack. If successful the drop bear deals 1d6 damage and can make an immediate grapple check to remain clinging to its victim. A drop bear gets a +4 bonus to grapple checks when doing so during a drop. For every round it grapples it may also attempt a bite attack without penalty. A dropbear takes no damage itself from the first 20 feet fallen, and only nonlethal damage at 30 feet. Greater heights deal damage as normal.

Rage (Ex): A dropbear that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and –2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Skills: Dropbears have a +4 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. They use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks.

Yuki Akuma
2006-06-27, 10:08 AM
I have one thing to say: ;D

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-06-27, 10:14 AM
Don't all koalas do this?

;)

Meat Shield
2006-06-27, 10:19 AM
1) LOVE the pic!

2) Wis seems a little high - any particular reason for the 14?

3) Why a special mechanism for Drop damage vs. just using DR? Say DR5/piercing during a Drop?

4) Are koalas really that big? I thought they were only 3-4 feet tall.

5) Otherwise, seems very well balanced. Another fine creature brought to you by the twisted mind of the Vorpal Tribble.

Yuki Akuma
2006-06-27, 10:24 AM
1) LOVE the pic!

3) Why a special mechanism for Drop damage vs. just using DR? Say DR5/piercing during a Drop?

5) Otherwise, seems very well balanced. Another fine creature brought to you by the twisted mind of the Vorpal Tribble.

2) Animals have high Wisdom scores.

4) These are meant to be bigger than koalas. Even I noticed that in the flavour text...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 10:26 AM
A little high? A toad has a Wis 14 :P

Because the way I did it is more in line with standard rules. Also, DR 5 would mean it'd still take damage for the rest of the way dropped. This way it ignores up to 16 points of falling damage.

The legend of the dropbear is that they are a good deal bigger than koalas (and also, a dwarf is Medium and its only 4 feet ;) )

Idiotbox90
2006-06-27, 10:27 AM
You need to mention Dropbear repellant.

Meat Shield
2006-06-27, 10:28 AM
2) Animals have high Wisdom scores.

4) These are meant to be bigger than koalas. Even I noticed that in the flavour text...
2) I looked at all the bears in the SRD, all had Wis 12. Random sampling of other animals all had 12 or less as well, with one 13 (boar).

4) Flavor text states "a dropbear is not easily distinguishable from a normal koala"

Yuki Akuma
2006-06-27, 10:29 AM
2) I looked at all the bears in the SRD, all had Wis 12. Random sampling of other animals all had 12 or less as well, with one 13 (boar).

4) Flavor text states "a dropbear is not easily distinguishable from a normal koala"

It also says "hidden amongst its smaller cousins".

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 10:31 AM
You need to mention Dropbear repellant.
I doubt there is much Aeroguard in D&D :-/

I looked at all the bears in the SRD, all had Wis 12.
Koala bears aren't bears (nor are dropbears) ;)

Not from high in the tree, no. However, when it falls on you, you realizej ust how big it is. I did also mention that.

Stathfolos
2006-06-27, 10:47 AM
Nice adaptation from the d20 Modern Menace Manual.

I like the way you defined its drop ability. The original was a little too ambiguous on what exactly was considered pouncing. Giving the drop bear rage is also a nice touch. You might want to include Balance and Move Silently in its skill list.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 11:04 AM
d20 Modern Menace Manual
Don't know a thing about d20 Modern. Could add balance and move silently... but its nots got much skill points to play around with.

Jibar
2006-06-27, 11:14 AM
I have come tribble, to claim what is rightfully mine.
That, and considering this is in my kingdom, I might just link it for the hell of it.

MagFlare
2006-06-27, 11:22 AM
Hilarious. Just one question: is this making fun of naive tourists by way of Discworld, or just straight-up making fun of naive tourists? ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 11:55 AM
I have come tribble, to claim what is rightfully mine.
That, and considering this is in my kingdom, I might just link it for the hell of it.
'Your' kingdom, eh?

*bares teeth*

Just one question: is this making fun of naive tourists by way of Discworld, or just straight-up making fun of naive tourists?
Eh, mainly the latter. I just always thought the whole thing was hillarious ;)

Jibar
2006-06-27, 12:05 PM
I've got an army of koalas.
You've got some dropbears.
Bring it on.

stupidmonkey
2006-06-27, 12:32 PM
Bring it on.

And the winner is..................

The spectators for watching a buncha bear-like marsupials fight for our amusement!!

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-27, 02:10 PM
Man, I don't know if this war is a good idea. Koalas are scary.

I mean, look at those teeth! Those are, like... fanglies. If I saw teeth like that, I'd probably back away slowly.

Awesome dropbear, by the way. I am amused that a group of dropbears is called a Plummet.

stainboy
2006-06-27, 02:18 PM
Told you guys we should have set that eucalyptus grove on fire. But NOOO!!! No one ever listens to the wizard!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-27, 02:41 PM
Bring it on.
Your koalas are eaten by a grue. The end.

I am amused that a group of dropbears is called a Plummet.
;D

Jibar
2006-06-27, 02:45 PM
Wait, where did the grue come from?
...is this an elemental grue from Complete Arcane, or some other grue?

Zeal
2006-06-27, 03:11 PM
Wait, where did the grue come from?
...is this an elemental grue from Complete Arcane, or some other grue?

The Grue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_%28monster%29) is from an old text adventure game called Zork.

...and now you know!

Telonius
2006-06-27, 03:14 PM
The Grue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_%28monster%29) is from an old text adventure game called Zork.

...and now you know!

That artist's conception of a grue looks awfully familiar.

Jibar
2006-06-27, 04:09 PM
And here was me thinking Zork took it from somewhere else...
For the record; I played Zork Grand Inquisitor, so much fun. I have fond memories of climbing down a weel and getting eaten by a grue.

molonel
2006-06-27, 04:10 PM
Your koalas are eaten by a grue. The end.

;D

You know, there's nothing like a good old fashioned Zork reference to put a smile on my face.

TimeWizard
2006-06-27, 04:25 PM
I have just one thing to say: The Vorpal Tribble is a crazy, crazy man, and we love him for that. And he makes a mean quiche.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-27, 04:39 PM
I have just one thing to say: The Vorpal Tribble is a crazy, crazy man, and we love him for that. And he makes a mean quiche.

Speaking of VT and quiche, this comic springs to mind.

http://www.beaverandsteve.com/index.php?comic=187

Psiwave
2006-06-28, 12:04 PM
Do wizzards get some sort of defensive bonus for their pointy hats?

ghost_warlock
2006-06-28, 01:11 PM
Wow, drop bears, grue, quiche, and pointy hats. This thread, really, has everything!

BTW, VT, you're The Man! And I don't mean that in the sense of "The Man" that's constantly oppressing us lowly types and profiting off of our misfortune. I mean that in the sense of the "The Man" that's about as cool and sophisticated as a scholar and a gentleman can be! Like James Bond...but with a lazer gun that shoots drop bears at evil minions.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-06-28, 08:06 PM
A little high? A toad has a Wis 14 :P

Yeah, an anthromorphic bat or toad pc has +4 racial wisdom and no level adjustment. You'd have to be a cloystered cleric to take advantage because otherwise you'd be pretty awful at fighting. (Not that it would stop you being awful, just make it matter less). Hmm... if I had a place in my campaign for a giant man eating koala I would use it, but as it is I'm still trying to find a place to fit in that Megatherium from fiend folio. "Is that a dire tree sloth I see?" "No, its a dire ground sloth, it it tried to get up in a tree it would snap the branches right off."

Delcan
2006-06-28, 08:53 PM
This monster is the Win.

Period.

;D

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-28, 10:00 PM
Man, is it just the AGHHHHHH that gets people in here? Need to remember that for my next creation...

Rei_Jin
2006-06-28, 10:08 PM
Well, in regards to a couple of things here...

You need to have their advancement be by character class, I can imagine Ninja Dropbears, lying in wait in the shadows for their prey...

And Dropbear Repellant is also known as Vegemite. You smear it on your cheeks like warpaint, and it scares them off.

Otherwise, this is very awesome, and I think you had people in at the G'day Mate.

Alcino
2006-06-28, 10:50 PM
Am I the only one who, upon reading "dropbear repellant", immediately thought of Escape Velocity: Nova?

In that spacefaring game, you can get attacked by dropbears (only while walking around on specific planets).

Luckily, you might notice there's Dropbear Repellant available for sale in most of those planets' starports. The funny thing is... it does nothing!

So you might be told your character woke up in a hospital, learning that he was attacked by a dropbear. "But I was using dropbear repellant!" "LOL, sir, that's a hoax, it does nothing."

DMgrinder
2006-06-28, 11:14 PM
To the one who calls himself "The Vorpal Tribble"; You are a sick, twisted, infernal, spawn of evil DMing. I love you, man, and I want your dropbear. (And all their offspring for a thousand years!)

Jarl
2006-06-29, 01:02 AM
Man, the scene in Last Continent when Rincewind is simultaneously attacked by the little birds and the dropbears makes me cry tears of laughter every time.

-Who's a pretty boy then?

Vaynor
2006-06-29, 01:07 AM
You need to make a kangaroo one. ;D

I_Got_This_Name
2006-06-29, 02:25 AM
Why do they advance to Small size?

Closet_Skeleton
2006-06-29, 07:00 AM

Uhm... maybe they keep the same mass but become more dense?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-29, 07:21 AM
D'oh...

Thanks IGTN.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-06-29, 11:27 AM
What do you mean he needs to do a kangaroo next? Clearly the great VT must do the dreaded bunnywolf, ferocious penguinlion, and the terrible ducksnake before anything else!

ghost_warlock
2006-06-29, 12:33 PM
Or, from my group, the squidephant and the arachnopenguin.

Cathrindir
2006-06-30, 01:40 PM
Or maybe the mighty Laamashark or Badgercrow!

Jarl
2006-06-30, 07:02 PM
*knock knock*
"Who's there?"
"...telegram"
"Oh, Ok." *opens door*
"AAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!"

-landshark

Peregrine
2006-07-12, 10:51 PM
Excellent. ;D I am so having a continent inspired by Australia in my hypothetical future game. And I'm going to time how long it takes for the players to realise that I'm going to throw (drop?) dropbears at them. (They'd all either be Australians, or non-Australians I've 'warned' about dropbears myself, so it should be interesting.)

Leon
2006-07-14, 09:36 AM
Awesome work once again VT (on a close to home creature)

Hmm... if I had a place in my campaign for a giant man eating koala I would use it, but as it is I'm still trying to find a place to fit in that Megatherium from fiend folio. "Is that a dire tree sloth I see?" "No, its a dire ground sloth, it it tried to get up in a tree it would snap the branches right off."

hehe

Winged One
2006-07-14, 10:02 AM
Man, is it just the AGHHHHHH that gets people in here? Need to remember that for my next creation...
Really, it's pretty much implied in any time that you make a monster. ;D

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-14, 11:41 AM
Why is drop a ranged touch attack? You mean it sort of fires itself at the target whilst simultaneously remaining in the tree.

Laws. Of. Physics. Overload.

*Head warps*

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-14, 12:33 PM
Why is drop a ranged touch attack? You mean it sort of fires itself at the target whilst simultaneously remaining in the tree.

Laws. Of. Physics. Overload.

*Head warps*
Huh? It throws itself off the tree at its opponent. If it had dropped a rock it'd be a ranged attack, so if it throws itself down.

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2006-07-14, 06:43 PM
You must add "Attach" (as Weasels) to its special attacks! Grrr! ;D