PDA

View Full Version : Locked out of house

IsaacTheHungry
2009-04-07, 03:59 PM
The story goes my brother and I visit our parents house and he leaves his house/car keys there so today, because he needs the car, i let him have my keys and he drops me off at school. I walk home from school, knowing he left about an hour ago, thinking he would leave the door unlocked only to find he locked the door behind him. so here is sit in the grass outside my window (all the windows are locked, i checked :smallmad:) with my computer with not much to do for the next few hours and nowhere to plug in my computer power cord. :smallsigh:

this ever happen to you or anyone you know?

edit: i'm glad i live in Florida

X2
2009-04-07, 04:24 PM
I got locked out... for six bloody hours!. Someone left the key inside.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-04-07, 04:25 PM
Happened to me... I was quite glad my parents usually don't lock second-floor windows. I wasn't that glad they were second floor windows... However, my brilliant mind devised a perfect solution!

It involved going to a construction site, looking around, going to another construction site, finding a ladder, realizing the ladder is tied up, finding a third construction site, walking back to the house all the while holding a ladder and looking like an idiot and finally getting to use it..

Oh yeah, it was cold, raining and I was drunk coming home from a party.

adanedhel9
2009-04-07, 04:36 PM
I locked myself out of my parents' house a few times in my teens. We always had a spare key hidden in the garage, and the garage was easy to break into, so it was never more than an inconvenience. It did get more difficult in high school when my mobility was somewhat constrained due to back problems, but it was still doable.

I occasionally go through periods of fear that I'm going to lose my apartment keys during a morning run. Since I live alone, that'd mean that I'd have to get a hold of the on-site manager to get into my apartment. And at 6 AM, this could be a challenge.

Mordokai
2009-04-07, 04:44 PM
Happened not a month back...

Me, friend and his girlfriend were at a movie which ended at about 0130 AM. Then there's about an hour of drive to my home. Came home at about 0230 AM. And then I found out I only have car keys on me. Which means I can't get into apartment and seeing the late hour, I don't want to start ringing and knocking on the doors, so as not to wake parents. So I opt to go for a walk, which last for about an hour or so. When I come back, mom calls me on self phone, where the hell am I? After short explanation, they let me in.

Went to bed at about 4 AM. Because I was too damn polite to wake anybody up.

Jack Squat
2009-04-07, 04:49 PM
Most people don't typically use the deadbolt.

Not only have I "carded" the door to my house, but to that of several friends (and floormates when I was in a dorm) because they forgot their keys.

The benefits of spending some time in the home construction industry.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-07, 04:51 PM
When we lived in a castle, there was only one key to the wrought iron gate out front, so when my mom was at work I had to stay at school until she picked me up (I was in elementary school at the time.) But then once I forgot to go to Young Taxidermist's Club and got on the bus, then when I got off the bus I suddenly remembered OH NO I WAS SUPPOSED TO STAY AT SCHOOL so I ran home, flung my body against the gate, then sat there and cried until a neighbor asked me what was going on, then I remembered that I had friends down the street and I could chill there until my mom came home.
For a more recent example, I have consistently lost my key to the front door of our not-castle house, and was constantly getting locked out until we got an electronic keypad for the garage door. I still don't have a key, so if I'm alone in the house and the door is locked I'm forced to let people in through the garage.

Linkavitch
2009-04-07, 05:34 PM
I got locked out of the house a couple times in the past few years. Luckily, I happened to have a knife on me with a blade thin enough that I could take the screen off the window, and crawl in through there. It was fun.

Starscream
2009-04-07, 05:41 PM
Just happened to me a week ago. I both live and work in a dormitory, so I was to move in a couple days early after Spring Break to open up the front desk. The card-reader at the door wasn't operational yet, but my boss was kind enough to prop the door so I could get in.

A couple hours later I am hungry and leave in search of pizza, completely forgetting that the doors are offline. I get locked out and have to wait an hour for my boss to come by.

At least I had the pizza with me to help pass the time.

Thajocoth
2009-04-07, 05:42 PM
I was locked out once back in High School. I climbed in my brother's window. Right over his bed, so there was a nice soft landing.

RS14
2009-04-07, 06:04 PM
I forgot my key and was locked out of our apartment a few years ago. One of my neighbors let me in, though, and I waited for my dad in the hall.

You might find this old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91737) relevant and amusing.

Trog
2009-04-07, 06:18 PM
I've done this a few times.

Worst one happened while driving to get my oil changed. I locked my keys inside my car while it was pulled into their garage. I locked the car door out of habit and shut it leaving my keys in the ignition. :smallsigh:

They tried to use a slim jim on the door but to no avail. I borrowed their courtesy car to run home to get my spare key. Only I was locked out of the house. I managed to "card" the door open and after a frantic search could not find my spare key anywhere.

Frustrated, I went back to the garage where they had put my vehicle into neutral from underneath somehow and pushed it into the parking lot. I called a locksmith who later showed up and used every trick he had to try and open the door. He finally had to fish out a 10 foot long steel poker and use an inflatable wedge to get into the car.

Looks like if I really want to keep something secure... I'll keep something in my car I guess. :smalltongue:

Ascension
2009-04-07, 06:55 PM
Relevant comic. (http://xkcd.com/530/)

I locked myself out of my car the other day, which also locked me out of my dorm room since both keys are on the same chain. I couldn't get in touch with my roommate and my door was locked with a deadbolt, so, in a very unpopular decision, I called campus safety. I had them try to open my car, but they completely failed to break into it. It's at this point I mentioned something in passing about how sad it was I couldn't get to my backup car key in my dorm room.

Cue two campus safety officers facepalming upon realizing they could have saved themselves all that work work by opening my dorm room with a key instead of trying to break into my car with tools. Cue me facepalming due to general absentmindedness.

THAC0
2009-04-07, 08:17 PM
I've locked myself out twice. Both because I had undone the deadbolt, but forgotten about the little knob key, both times on doors I rarely use. Both times I realized it as soon as I'd pulled the door shut.

The first time my neighbor showed me how to pop the screen off my window.

The second time was in the middle of a fall of volcanic ash, so I just went to the neighbors house until housing could come with a duplicate key.

Assassin89
2009-04-07, 08:24 PM
I locked myself out of my dorm room at least three time, but it is usually because I forget that I put my keys in a place I could see them or in a different pants pocket.

thubby
2009-04-08, 07:08 AM
I've locked myself into and out of more things than i care to think about.
I once locked myself out of my house for 4(?) hours. I walked all over town to my various relatives and family friends, none of them were home, so i ended up sitting on my porch waiting.
did i mentioning it was snowing?
yeah...

Serpentine
2009-04-08, 07:43 AM
When we lived in a castle,...you lived in a castle?!

WalkingTarget
2009-04-08, 08:25 AM
...you lived in a castle?!

Yeah, really. That was my first thought too, but everybody else seemed to just take it in stride.

Manga Shoggoth
2009-04-08, 10:42 AM
When we lived in a castle...
...you lived in a castle?!
Yeah, really. That was my first thought too, but everybody else seemed to just take it in stride.

Oh, come now. Surely you know that an Englishman's home is his castle?

OK. He's from Fredericksburg, VA, but...

(ahem)

When I was a kid, I arrived home from school well before my parents. My neighbours let me into the back garden, and I mucked around for a few minutes.

Then dismantled the extractor fan on the kitchen window, opened the side window and waited for the parents to return.

They issued me with a key after that...

Deathslayer7
2009-04-08, 10:54 AM
Ahhhh. good old memories.

My brother and I were walking home home from school. When we get home, he realizes that he left the house key inside. So we go around and hope a window is open or something, but no. So i go to the back door and kick it really hard because i was pissed. It was then i realized that it opened. So i open the front door and let my brother in.

Since that day, I always let myself in within the back door.

Killer Angel
2009-04-08, 10:59 AM
this ever happen to you or anyone you know?

Well, it's not me, and he was not exactly locked OUTSIDE the house, but Afroakuma had a good story... :smalltongue:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91737

Katrascythe
2009-04-08, 11:37 AM
I was locked out of my apartment at my college campus once. No, twice... after I went for a late night swim. My roommates thought that I was in there, didn't have the common sense to *check* by knocking (the light was on, even if I was there I wasn't asleep...). So they threw the security bolt and didn't answer the phone. I called all three of them once. I had to stay with a friend overnight and I called them again at 7.00 the next morning so I could get a change of clothes and not wear a bikini to class.

charl
2009-04-08, 11:45 AM
It's for situations like these that I know a bit of lockpicking.

Trog
2009-04-08, 12:12 PM
When we lived in a castle,...you lived in a castle?!
This. :smallconfused:

I've locked myself out twice. *snip* The second time was in the middle of a fall of volcanic ash, so I just went to the neighbors house until housing could come with a duplicate key.
:smalleek: Meep! Volcanic ash?! ... okay... that beat mine by a mile. Scary.

EDIT: @V Cool house. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-08, 12:43 PM
lol
It wasn't really a castle, just a big old sandstone building with a turret and a spire and stained glass windows and a wrought iron gate.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v189/159/84/47801365/n47801365_30617530_9249.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v189/159/84/47801365/n47801365_30617531_9546.jpg

GoC
2009-04-08, 02:03 PM
Two interesting occasions (most are boring).

One of my sisters once deliberately locked me out. For some context:
The door is steel with the upper half having a window of glass but it's got bars running across it to prevent entry.
I was so pissed I kicked the door as hard as I could. The glass shattered and the bolt bent.

The other time everyone was out when I locked myself out. Ground windows locked. Some climbing later I discover the second story ones are locked too. So I climb up onto the roof and dangle over the back. Finaly! An unlocked window!

Mauve Shirt:Nice castle!:smallbiggrin:

Saithis Bladewing
2009-04-08, 02:15 PM
I locked myself out of the house once.

I proceeded to break in, sneak past the motion sensitive alarms, and sit in the computer room for a few hours until people got home.

I am epic.

GoC
2009-04-08, 02:23 PM
I locked myself out of the house once.

I proceeded to break in, sneak past the motion sensitive alarms, and sit in the computer room for a few hours until people got home.

I am epic.

Only if you performed gymnastics to get past the moving lasers as well!:smallbiggrin:

valadil
2009-04-08, 02:30 PM
I got locked out several times way back when. My favorite way of sneaking in was as follows:

Get into basement through bulkhead or window. The basement is pretty easy, but the door to the basement is locked with one of those sliding chains. The basement door has a cat door at the bottom, because we always kept the cat's litterbox in the basement. The other thing we stored in the basement was fishing rods. With a little practice you could stick the fishing rod into the house through the cat door, open the door just a little, attach fishing hook to chain lock, shut the door, and pull the fishing rod back and forth until it unhooked the lock.

THAC0
2009-04-08, 07:18 PM
:smalleek: Meep! Volcanic ash?! ... okay... that beat mine by a mile. Scary.

Not really as scary as it sounds. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2009-04-08, 08:05 PM
Volcanoes, enough said.

Once, my family had a 3 story house (with partially exposed basement due to it being built on/in a hillside). So I got home from school after walking for over an hour. Only to remember I didn't have keys and no one answered the front door when I rang the bell. So I went to the basement back door, but it was locked and partially barricaded with junk to dissuade anyone from breaking in. So I went to my brother's bedroom window in the basement wall and knocked. No response.

So I then had to climb up onto the two different decks that we had, without falling or accidentally destroying part of the deck and falling. the 1st floor level deck was easy to get on, but was locked and no one responded to my knocking, so I decided to risk going up and trying the upper level deck on the second floor which was really difficult due to only having a little bit inbetween the bars on the rail to grip on and having a solid wall with no handholds blocking part of the way I would climb up onto the first level of the deck.

Then I found out that somehow that door was locked too. I ended up trying to climb down from there and almost falling and breaking my neck (but really only ended up taking a massive blow to the crotch) so I ended up curling up in the fetal position against the door for awhile and passing out from dehydration.

I think thirty minutes later my mom came home and found me on the porch.

Berserk Monk
2009-04-08, 10:53 PM
Something happened to me like this awhile back. My dorm room had it's locks replaced and I was the last roommate to learn of this. I had my out of date key for an entire day before I got the new one. Luckily, at least one of my roommates were home to let me in. Moral of the story: always carry a battering ram (or be Rorschach so you can just kick the lock open, although, the latter is harder to do, but far more fun)

Agamid
2009-04-08, 11:02 PM
i was locked out for about 2 hours on monday night... am staying with my cousin and she had only one key which she took with her to work (if i'd been awake i would have explained to her that the apartment has deadlocks and i'll be going out and getting back before her... but oh well).
Anyway, i needed to go shopping and so (knowing that she finished work at 5) i went out at about 3 and did all that i needed to do and got back to the house at around 5:10, thinking i'd only have to wait a half hour or so for her... at around 6:30 she rang to tell me that she'd forgotten that she had a late desk shift and that she needed to meet her new housemate after work...

That was the night it was 4 degrees C. i felt even colder though as i'm from brisbane, where 10 degrees is considered a freezing night.

needless to say, i have a key now and when i went out yesterday i double checked that it worked before closing the door behind me.

User Name
2009-04-09, 10:29 AM
I get stuck outside of the house pretty often. Luckily, none of the windows lock and I'm tall enough to stick my head and shoulders in and unlock the door from the inside. I'd be worried that someone would notice and break in, but we have nothing worth stealing. :smallsmile:

Mannryu
2009-04-09, 10:56 AM
Ah yes. I once got home from school and no one was in the house. I of course, left my keys in my room and my cellphone as well. I had no idea what to do until I noticed that the window to my mom's room was opened. Now, how to get in? I went around the house and picked up a ladder in our small woodshed. Then I went around again the house again and climbed up trough the window. Yes I broke into my own house. There's a table under the window and I literary rolled off and crashed on the floor. Then I stood up, went out of the room, opened the front door, went around the house again, picked up the ladder and went around again.
I don't think I need to add that the neighbors were looking strangely at me for days after that event. :smalltongue:

Durp
2009-04-09, 10:59 AM
I got locked out of my house once. Then I kicked the door down, only to realize that my keys were in my back pocket.
OOPS.

I'M SORRY.

I FAILED.

anazopyreo
2009-04-09, 12:25 PM
Relevant comic. (http://xkcd.com/530/)

Yay for XKCD!!

Liriel
2009-04-11, 02:09 PM
I've been locked out twice. Neither was my house. :smallwink:

First time, I was probably about 7ish. I was the first kid to arrive at the day care center and the morning lady had lost her keys. She popped off the bathroom window and hoisted me so I could climb in and let us in. The bathroom window was fairly small, so it usually wasn't locked. My book fell in the open toilet. :smallmad: I don't know why she didn't hold it for me.

Second time, I had just started babysitting for a new family. She hadn't gotten around to giving me a key to their house, so she was just going to leave the door unlocked for us. Yeah...that didn't happen. I ended up breaking into their house...and in the process, the two boys figured out quickly how I'd done it. *Scuffs* Least they didn't practice popping window screens and carding doors (at least that I know of).

Egiam
2009-04-11, 04:48 PM

Yeah. Unless you are really close, or have REALLY bad asthma, it's not very exciting.

Trog
2009-04-12, 05:00 AM

Yeah. Unless you are really close, or have REALLY bad asthma, it's not very exciting.
Shush, you two. You were both dodging flaming hail and you know it. Stop being so modest. :smalltongue:

BlueWizard
2009-04-12, 05:01 AM
Doh! :thog::mitd:

Narkis
2009-04-12, 05:20 AM
I've been locked out of the house quite a few times, and so has almost every member of my family. We almost always call a locksmith to open the door, so it's not a big problem.

Other than that one time a couple years ago. It was the Saturday before Easter, and understandably no locksmith was working that day. My mother forgot the keys inside the house when she went to the supermarket with my sisters. No one else had keys, thinking she'd gotten them. So, she broke down the door. The wood holding the lock in place splintered. Her gym classes paid off after all.

Justyn
2009-04-12, 07:23 AM
I got locked out of my house once. Then I kicked the door down, only to realize that my keys were in my back pocket.
OOPS.

I'M SORRY.

I FAILED.

Yeah, I did something like that once. Except the keys were in the house. And my step dad got home about five minutes after I did it. :smallannoyed:

I had to pay to fix the door.

The carpenter wasn't very good: the deadbolt still doesn't work right.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-04-12, 08:20 AM
Standard issue reaction is to use one of the several physical security vulnerablities I left around intentionally to break in, but yeah.

Loads of times.

sheepofoblivion
2009-04-12, 03:33 PM
I'm completely paranoid sometimes, so I leave all the windows of my house locked, check the doors on occasion, and know every way to get into my house. Unfortunately, when you lend your brother your key, which he loses, you don't get into your perfect fortress. The irony hit me as I waited for about an hour or so.

After that I was angry, bored and had nothing to do so I walked to my friend's house, and chilled.