PDA

View Full Version : Tis an ill wind that blows no good... (PEACH)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-03, 11:11 AM
Blarestorm

Dimunitive Elemental (air, chaos, extraplanar, swarm)
Hit Dice: 8d8+16 (52 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: Fly 80 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 26 (+8 deflection, +4 dex, +4 size), touch 26, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-
Attack: Swarm (2d6 plus 1d8 sonic)
Full Attack: Swarm (2d6 plus 1d8 sonic)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Cacophonic burst, distraction
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., elemental traits, immunity to sonics, indeterminate location, shell of insanity, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +2
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 19, Con 14, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Wingover(B)
Environment: Windswept Depths of Pandemonium
Organization: Swarm
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: Swarm or Froth (1-6 swarms)
Level Adjustment: -

Within Pandemonium are a million caverns carved from the sheer force of wind. In the deepest places chaos itself is concentrated and the flesh-ripping wind that blows through is trapped within. The magic forces the two together they are nearly a solid substance. However, only so much can be compacted before it explodes forth, throwing hundreds of fist-sized spheres of elemental energies surrounded by a rippling shell of pure chaos.

What appears is a bubbling froth that seems to lurch and leap and dive through the most vicious winds or down the deepest caverns.

Combat
Blarestorms have no concept of foe or friend, and thus the damage they cause is never intentional. Occassionally for an unknown reason however a swarm will chase anything that moves, perhaps instinctively trying to incorporate it into the swarm's mass.

A blarestorms natural weapons are considered chaotic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Cacophonic Burst (Ex): Whenever a blarestorm sustains more than 6 damage from a single attack, several bubbles are destroyed, releasing the pent up energies within. All those within 25 feet of a blarestorm take 4d6 damage, and must make a DC 15 fortitude save or be deafened for as many minutes as damage dealt. The times of multiple deafenings stack. 1d6 rounds later the victim also takes 2d6 chaos damage reguardless of distance or location from the original damage. This sonic damage ranges from the deepest tone to a great high pitch that acts as the Shatter spell to objects and creatures within range. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 15) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Indeterminate Location (Su): A blarestorm moves in such an utterly unpredictable fashion that its almost impossible to know where it truley is as if continuously under the Displacement spell.

Shell of Insanity (Su): A blarestorm is not only immune to chaos, but is toughened by it. For every hit dice of damage done by chaos or a chaotic-aligned weapon the blarestorms deflection bonus increases by 1 for an hour as its shell incorporates the aligned energy.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-03, 11:30 AM
Nice swarm. A bit hard to kill if you don't know how to handle it. I like how dangerous it gets up close- even to those who don't charge the swarm, but instead just get caught nearby, vis a vis the Cacaphonic Burst. Ahh, shatter, bane of all psionicists.

AC and touch AC should be 26, incorporating +4 Dex.

HP should be 8d8 + 8, considering +1 Con score. HP of 44.

Sacrath
2006-07-03, 11:31 AM
Very nice, but it seems a bit weak to be put in some place like Pandemonium, I don't know of any 7th level party that could survive the weather very well much less the random encounter table. What Summon Monster spell would this fall under if any?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-03, 11:42 AM
AC and touch AC should be 26, incorporating +4 Dex.

HP should be 8d8 + 8, considering +1 Con score. HP of 44.
Con should be 14 though. Adjusted it here and there till it felt right and forgot to adjust for the changes ::)

Thanks!

Very nice, but it seems a bit weak to be put in some place like Pandemonium, I don't know of any 7th level party that could survive the weather very well much less the random encounter table.
Well, I'd presume that anyone going to pandemonium would have at least 'some' protection. And except for deafening, the plane itself isn't exactly deadly unless you get caught in a windstorm, but thats up to the DM ;)

What Summon Monster spell would this fall under if any?
Probably Summon Nature's Ally VII.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-03, 12:20 PM
Very nice, but it seems a bit weak to be put in some place like Pandemonium, I don't know of any 7th level party that could survive the weather very well much less the random encounter table.

Swarms are surprisingly resiliant, especially this one with its immunity to the chaotic and sonic attacks common to Pandemonium. Granted, any party with Plane Shift will be higher than 7th level, but that doesn't mean that monsters of CR 9 or lower cannot exist.

Take imps. Or lemures. Or most elementals. Etc. They are a part of the ecology of the planes.

Sacrath
2006-07-03, 01:40 PM
They are a part of the ecology of the planes.

Ah, the little bubbles of chaos and sound are scenery. Unless you fall into a dimensional rip or some-such, it happens more often than you'd think. Either way, I like it. I would probably use them if I ran a DnD campaign anymore.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-03, 01:54 PM
Probably Summon Nature's Ally VII.

You know, this is actually a fairly decent creature to summon up, even with a 7th level spell. That's always been my problem with the Summon spells- they cannot help more than, say, a Heal. But swarms, as I mentionned, are surprisingly resiliant and quite dangerous to spellcasters, especially when controlled by the summoner. Go go concentration checks- many casters stop putting ranks in when they can defensively cast all their spells without making a check.

EDIT: Hey, I just levelled. Cool.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-03, 06:17 PM
I would probably use them if I ran a DnD campaign anymore.
What stopped you? :-/

EDIT: Hey, I just levelled. Cool.
Heh, welcome to Ogredom ;)

Jack Mann
2006-07-03, 07:00 PM
So, your current flavor of the week is madness, eh?

Looks good. I like it.

Electric_Bard
2006-07-03, 07:18 PM
Indeed

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-03, 07:26 PM

Looks good. I like it.
Naw, not particularly... though I guess the cow and this guy are kinda nuts, and the pureborn beast fights insane creatures. So, yeah, maybe. Then again, I have some kind of stomach bug and a bit of a fever.

I get some 'interesting' creature ideas when I'm sick.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-03, 08:35 PM

You speak to VT. What week is he not dedicated to madness?

Heh, welcome to Ogredom ;)

Finally, perhaps people will listen to my hair-brained rants!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-03, 11:15 PM
Hrmmm, how should I take that I wonder...

Oh well, take a look at my 'Darkness fills my belly' creature and you'll see I'm just getting started.

Finally, perhaps people will listen to my hair-brained rants!
*ponders*

Mmmm.... naw.

;)

Sacrath
2006-07-04, 03:13 AM
What stopped you? :-/

My group got tired of it, and so did I after a fashion. We are starting up In Nomine, but I am not the GM which is a nice change. If I ever feel the "call" I can always start a game up on the boards.

bosssmiley
2006-07-05, 12:35 AM

^-- So sayeth the Mad Arab. Takes one to know one I suppose. ;)

Is it just me, or should this thing (I mean the Blarestorm, not Abd-al-Azred) have DR? I mean, it's a composite of chaos, wind and blaring noise. That says DR/magic (or lawful?) to me...

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-05, 01:17 AM
^-- So sayeth the Mad Arab. Takes one to know one I suppose. ;)

Is it just me, or should this thing (I mean the Blarestorm, not Abd-al-Azred) have DR? I mean, it's a composite of chaos, wind and blaring noise. That says DR/magic (or lawful?) to me...

Swarms of Diminutive size or smaller are immune to weapon damage. And I want DR. That would be awesome. Just for being a Seer.

Jack Mann
2006-07-05, 03:49 AM
I have DR/Stupidity.

Sometimes, the internet hurts me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-05, 01:35 PM
I have DR/Stupidity.

Sometimes, the internet hurts me.
I got the same weakness :-/