PDA

View Full Version : Can Haunt Shift Legally do This?[3.5]

Logalmier
2009-04-07, 06:14 PM
So I've been recently playing a necromancer, who just got her spellbook stolen. I managed to get it back, but it made me think that should have defend it better. I had put some traps in place, but they were low level traps. Hardly befitting for a powerful wizard. I really didn't want to spend the time and energy making new traps, so I looked around a bit. Then I came up with the perfect plan...

One of the spells I knew was called 'Haunt Shift'(Libris Mortis, pg. 66), and it basically turned undead into 'Haunting Presences'(again, Libris Mortis,). I control this powerful mummy king druid, and so I thought "Hey. why don't I make this powerful undead guardian thingy 'haunt' my spellbook!"

Except the details for the Haunt Shift spell were kinda vague, they didn't really say what the undead haunted, if they were still under your control, if you even got a say in what the undead were supposed to haunt.:smallannoyed: So it wasn't the perfect plan.

My DM is pretty flexible, and so I think I might be able to do this thing. But now I just want to know if you think that making my undead 'haunt' my spellbook would be within the boundaries of the game. Lemme know what you think. Thanks!:smallsmile:

Kylarra
2009-04-07, 06:18 PM
"Powerful mummy-king druid" seems to imply "above 9 HD" to me, and thus they wouldn't be affected by Haunt shift.

Logalmier
2009-04-07, 06:21 PM
'Power' is a relative term. Unfortunately he's not that powerful.:smallfrown:

Kylarra
2009-04-07, 06:27 PM
Well like you said, it's not really explicit what happens, but I'd think that you'd get to designate what's being haunted personally.

Dr_Horrible
2009-04-07, 06:28 PM
If you want to keep your spellbook safe, the thing to do is find a nice castle you own with lots of guards, or someplace simple no one would look, then put it there. Meanwhile, carry your secret page copy of the spellbook around with you wherever you go.

Also, have several other Secret Page copies hidden in various locations.

RandomFellow
2009-04-07, 06:42 PM
My read:
You don't control the Undead (unless you do normally) although it would probably attack any perceived 'intruders'.

My advice:
Make copies via Secret Page Cheese (if you can).

Deploy haunting presences (ya, plural) around each spellbook.

Also, blow a day's worth of spell slots on Ghoul Glyphs and such around each spellbook. Since you are blowing a day using Haunting Presence & Teleport anyway.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-07, 06:51 PM
Make your spellbook of the special materials in C.Arc. That makes it rather tough. Then on the cover place Expolsive Runes. And the first page. And the second. You actually prepare spells during your watch at night, then Shrink Item it and hide it inside your undead familiar. You do have an Undead Familiar, right? The one that you carry around only has Explosive Runes in it. And when one goes off, they all do.