PDA

View Full Version : Nice arms. You won't be needing them? Thanks. *RIIIIP* (PEACH)

Lappy9000
2009-04-07, 10:27 PM
These feats are designed for the soulstitched (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108327). Some of them are built for those who want to bypass that little clause that states only human limbs can be used. You want to build a body-snatcher? Presto.

Please critique! I tried to be specific with the wording and mechanics to hopefully avoid any potential cheese :smallcool:

Body Enhancement [Soulstitched]
Requirements: Body Pillage
Benefit: By replacing an arm or leg with one from a creature who has a physical ability (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution) whose modifier is at least twice as much as your modifier of the same ability, you gain a +2 bonus to that one ability. This feat is treated as an additional Body Pillage trait.

You gain an additional Natural Magic charge per day.
Normal: You gain no ability bonuses from replacing limbs.

Body Pillage [Soulstitched]
Requirements: Charisma 16+, Eavesdrop
Benefits: By tampering with the arcane energy bound within your body, you can utilize limbs and appendages from non-human creatures. However, using such a source throws off the delicate balance of your inner psyche, making you increasingly terrifying and unhinged. By using a Natural Magic charge, you can replace a limb with another from any Medium-sized Humanoid as per the Detach Limb ability. Doing so grants you one of the traits below, in addition to a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks and a -1 penalty to Charisma, both of which last until the non-human limb is replaced with a human one. Naturally, you lose the benefit of a trait if the respective limb is removed. If a limb can grant you multiple bonuses (such as the clawed/natural armored arm of a lizardfolk), treat it as two limbs for purposes of determing these bonuses.
Fearsome Bite: By replacing your mouth with one from a creature with a natural bite attack, you gain a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage.
Hardened Appendage: By replacing an arm or leg from a creature with natural armor, you gain a +1 bonus to natural armor.
Morphic Form: By replacing any limb with an appendage from a creature with the (Shapechanger) subtype, roll 1d6 to pick a random trait presented here. Exclude Morphic Form from your roll.
Ocular Augmentation: By replacing an eye with one from a creature with low-light or darkvision, you gain either one or both of these abilities, depending on which the creature had.
Powerful Legs: By replacing a leg with one from a creature whose base land speed is at least 10ft greater than yours, you gain a +5 bonus to your base land speed.
Rending Claws: By replacing an arm with one from a creature with a natural claw attack, you gain a claw attack that deals 1d4 damage.
Webbed Limbs: By replacing an arm or a leg with one from a creature who has a swim speed, you gain a swim speed equal to half of the creature's swim speed.You gain an additional Natural Magic charge per day.
Normal: You can only replace limbs from human sources.

Eavesdrop [Soulstitched]
Requirements: Charisma 14+
Benefit: When using Detach Limb, you can remove your mouth, an eye, or an ear as you would a hand or a leg as per the Detach Limb ability. If you remove a single eye or ear, you take a -4 penalty to Alertness checks in place of the normal penalties. If you remove both eyes or both ears, you become blinded and deafened respectively. If you remove your mouth, you cannot speak, automatically fail any skill checks that require speech, and cannot cast spells with verbal components.

Normal: You can only remove a limb such as an arm or leg.

Extended Authority [Soulstitched]
Requirements: Charisma 16+
Benefit: When using Detach Limb, the range with which you can control your limbs doubles. The effects of this feat do not stack if taken multiple times.

Normal: You range of influence is 25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels.

Resilient Appendages [Soulstitched]
Requirements: -
Benefit: When using Detach Limb, your detached appendages gain twice as many hitpoints per character level, and a +2 Natural Armor bonus to their Armor Class.

Normal: Your Detached Limbs receive no bonus to Natural Armor or Hit Points.

DoomedPaladin
2009-04-08, 02:27 AM
Morphic form needs work. It seems too vague, and how would popping in a were-rabbit's eye give you the power of it's leg?

Also, one limb granting increased movement is a little too strong. I'd grant a bonus too skill checks for one limb. +4 to Jump with one leg from a were-rabbit (+10 to speed or use the Run action at X5 instead of X4) or to climb from a chitine (take 10 on climb with two, gain a climb speed), and increased movement with two limbs of the same type.

Extended Authority Triples? Really? Why not just X2? Or a +5ft for each SoulStiched feat you have?

Lappy9000
2009-04-08, 10:37 AM
Morphic form needs work. It seems too vague, and how would popping in a were-rabbit's eye give you the power of it's leg?It was meant to work with Shifters (hadn't thought of lycanthropes, oui). I can't think of a way to make it more specific without making it a paragraph into itself. I'll most likely throw it out or make it a feat on its own.

Also, one limb granting increased movement is a little too strong. I'd grant a bonus too skill checks for one limb. +4 to Jump with one leg from a were-rabbit (+10 to speed or use the Run action at X5 instead of X4) or to climb from a chitine (take 10 on climb with two), and increased movement with two limbs of the same type.That seems needlessly complicated. And why would Climb be put in there? How is a +5 bonus overpowered? It's not like you can get it more than twice :smalltongue:

Just look at Speed of Thought (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#speedOfThought). If I can get a +10 insight bonus to land speed as long as I'm psionically focused, a +10 non-enhancement bonus to land speed for -2 Charisma doesn't seem OP.

Extended Authority Triples? Really? Why not just X2?Because the "2" key is right next to the "3" key. Fixing. The per feat progression is nice, but may end up kinda funky 'cause the range of influence scales by level anyway.

DoomedPaladin
2009-04-08, 01:14 PM
That seems needlessly complicated. And why would Climb be put in there? How is a +5 bonus overpowered? It's not like you can get it more than twice :smalltongue:

Just look at Speed of Thought (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#speedOfThought). If I can get a +10 insight bonus to land speed as long as I'm psionically focused, a +10 non-enhancement bonus to land speed for -2 Charisma doesn't seem OP.

I suppose you're right. It isn't that OP. It's the RL mechanics that kind of annoy me, and I like my stuff games to attempt to work as they might in Real Life. Having one leg that's stronger than the other would probably make it more difficult to move, but since feats aren't supposed to hinder you, rather than speed I'd give a bonus to a skill check (like jump). To run faster you'd need two strong legs.

Climb got in there because, as with what I've suggested above, Chitines (available as a PC race in the FR book Underdark) have a Climb speed (which I've corrected in my earlier post) of 20ft with the spines on their hands. So if your Soulstiched takes one arm, bonus to climb. Two arms, Climb speed.

the "2" key is right next to the "3" key. Fixing. The per feat progression is nice, but may end up kinda funky 'cause the range of influence scales by level anyway.

A +5ft (or +15, or +25) to speed has only ever been "funky" to players, in my experience. As my players who've taken the Dash feat (Miniatures Handbook, grants a +5 to speed) have discovered. Though, I too, prefer nice round numbers when dealing with game mechanics.

Lappy9000
2009-04-08, 05:19 PM
I suppose you're right. It isn't that OP. It's the RL mechanics that kind of annoy me, and I like my stuff games to attempt to work as they might in Real Life. Having one leg that's stronger than the other would probably make it more difficult to move, but since feats aren't supposed to hinder you, rather than speed I'd give a bonus to a skill check (like jump). To run faster you'd need two strong legs.:smallannoyed: No, it doesn't make sense. Neither does your suggestion for that matter. Then again, neither does an arcane-infused fleshy ragdoll who steals limbs. But here we are :smallbiggrin: If we can come up with a solution that works fairly well with real-world pseudo-biology, then I'll definitely switch it out. Brainstorming time...

Oh! Also, giving bonuses to Jump and faster speed is probably just asking for Jumplomancer cheese.

A +5ft (or +15, or +25) to speed has only ever been "funky" to players, in my experience. As my players who've taken the Dash feat (Miniatures Handbook, grants a +5 to speed) have discovered. Though, I too, prefer nice round numbers when dealing with game mechanics....what? I was talking about Extended Authority :smallconfused:
Personally, I've never known anyone who has a problem with it (Move 7 squares instead of 6. Easy. Fourth Edition does it all the time)

Climb got in there because, as with what I've suggested above, Chitines (available as a PC race in the FR book Underdark) have a Climb speed (which I've corrected in my earlier post) of 20ft with the spines on their hands. So if your Soulstiched takes one arm, bonus to climb. Two arms, Climb speed.Ah, that makes more sense. It'd be worth its own trait, though, not lumped in with Powerful Legs.

DracoDei
2009-04-10, 04:41 PM
Benefit: By replacing an arm or leg with one from a creature whose Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution modifier is at least twice as much as the respective ability score, you gain a +2 bonus to that ability score. This ability is treated as a Body Pillage trait.

I think you wanted parity here, unless you really mean for a soul-stitched to have to graft on the limbs of dragons three size catagories larger than himself to get a +2 bonus to STR or CON...

Lappy9000
2009-04-10, 05:29 PM
I think you wanted parity here, unless you really mean for a soul-stitched to have to graft on the limbs of dragons three size catagories larger than himself to get a +2 bonus to STR or CON...

Benefit: By replacing an arm or leg with one from a creature whose Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution modifier is at least twice as much as the respective ability score, you gain a +2 bonus to that ability score. This ability is treated as a Body Pillage trait.
I figured that little clause would cover it. Treating it as a Body Pillage trait would make it subject to the Body Pillage restrictions:

By using a Natural Magic charge, you can replace a limb with another from any Medium-sized Humanoid as per the Detach Limb ability.So, no, dragon-arms are out unless dragon-blooded end up keeping their base type, but I doubt that will happen.

Siosilvar
2009-04-10, 07:15 PM
I figured that little clause would cover it. Treating it as a Body Pillage trait would make it subject to the Body Pillage restrictions:
So, no, dragon-arms are out unless dragon-blooded end up keeping their base type, but I doubt that will happen.

That doesn't change the fact that, as written, the modifier needs to be twice your score. That means that you need to take an arm from a 50 strength creature to improve your strength from 10 to 12.

Or, with a very strict reading, you can't get a bonus at all, because the modifier of the creature needs to be twice its score, which is impossible.

Lappy9000
2009-04-10, 07:20 PM
That doesn't change the fact that, as written, the modifier needs to be twice your score. That means that you need to take an arm from a 50 strength creature to improve your strength from 10 to 12.

Or, with a very strict reading, you can't get a bonus at all, because the modifier of the creature needs to be twice its score, which is impossible.Thaaaaaaaaaaat is quite a typo. Fixed.

Thanks!

Edit: Tightened up the writing a bit. Sounds redundant, but should be at least 12% less breakable.