PDA

View Full Version : Mind-reading NPC's

Choco
2009-04-07, 10:43 PM
Title says it all... my players are about to encounter a mind reading NPC. Any idea how I would take advantage of this ability without alerting the players to the fact that this character can read their minds? I trust them not to metagame, but would like to keep this secret for a little while at least.

Thanks

Draco Ignifer
2009-04-07, 10:45 PM
You know how PCs tend to discuss their plans before actually doing anything? Use everything they say against them. Encourage it, if you can - suggest that they might want to be careful against this guy - they get an odd vibe. And then try not to smile too much as they discuss.

LibraryOgre
2009-04-07, 11:24 PM
Gotta agree with Draco. Have him react to their plans before they announce them. Every out of character statement gets used against them.

Choco
2009-04-07, 11:34 PM
Yeah, that is some good advice. And in case the players decide to charge in and hack at this NPC any time during or after a conversation, I can easily fiat a "precaution" that it could have taken had it known they attacked.

Thanks guys, saved me a bit of sleep

lsfreak
2009-04-07, 11:58 PM
While fighting, gives a bonus to his AC, attack, and saves, because he's got at least a fraction of a second extra time in there to act or prepare (and with spells, a more significant amount of time).

Make sure you describe it as well:
(One small hit, plus a miss with an offhand) - As you swing, he moves into the blow, which almost misses the opening you were going for. Your second attack should have been a serious blow, but he jumped into your first hit.
(He hits) - His strike twists at the last second and catches a chink in your armor.
(Makes a Reflex save) - As you cast the spell, he glances for a depression in the ground.
(Makes a Will save) - He focused right on you for a second while you cast the spell. When you finished, he raised an eyebrow and continued fighting.

herrhauptmann
2009-04-08, 12:19 AM
If it's 3.5, as a free feat, give him armor specialization, or dodge applied to multiple targets. But his mutliple target dodge doesn't work against AOOs, because those are the characters reacting to him, as opposed to them planning something which he can read and 'pre-act' to.