PDA

View Full Version : You can help me with my dumb idea (D&D 4e)

Meek
2009-04-07, 10:48 PM
I'm doing an...um, unique(?) experiment on my blog (warning, some unrestricted language in yonder page) (http://wyattsalazar.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/announcing-new-feature-big-damn-heroes/), mostly out of boredom.

Basically, I'm going to run every D&D module solo with a level 30 party (and the epic ones with like a level 50 party or something, I don't know) and see how fast I can slaughter them while also writing a little metafanfiction (what?) thing about each encounter/event/thing to document the module on my blog.

I was looking to set some conditions for myself. Most of all, I need to know what powers/comboes to flat-out avoid because they'd just destroy encounters all by themselves. I know Legion's Hold and Archmage can pretty much destroy two encounters of Keep On The Shadowfell each day, for example, which while hilarious would be too fast.

I need some more creative ones than that though, such as using only a certain set of powers, or trying to pull off a weird combo a certain number of times, or using only a certain item (alchemicals?) and stuff like that which would be fun.

The party is already extremely crappy as far as optimization goes (they don't need it, they're level 30) so things should get interesting at high paragon. Maybe I shouldn't overlevel them for Epic and play it straight, dunno.

This is why I ask for opinions/help here! The more people in on it, the more fun it will be for me everyone.

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-08, 11:36 AM
My only opinion is that I don't think there's any way to make a character past 30th level in D&D 4E. The system is pretty much designed to just stop at that point, as there's simply no more powers or feats or anything else you can do after that point.

Also, what is the point of this exactly? :smallconfused:

Asbestos
2009-04-08, 12:10 PM
The party is already extremely crappy as far as optimization goes (they don't need it, they're level 30) so things should get interesting at high paragon. Maybe I shouldn't overlevel them for Epic and play it straight, dunno.

Uh.. no, things should not get interesting at high paragon since the PCs will still be 10 levels above whatever they're facing.

Meek
2009-04-08, 12:47 PM
@Asbestos: Just because I won't lose doesn't mean things won't be interesting. I wouldn't play 4e at all if expectation of mortality was something I NEEDED in order to have fun.

@Killian: To have fun while reviewing the modules. I wanted to do module reviews (I've been asked a lot specifically for reviews of Pyramid of Shadows) but I can't get myself to do them because it's boring. With this, I can review them in a more interesting fashion to keep myself motivated.

Also, all you have to do is add +10 to all defenses, attack rolls, skill and ability checks, and more HP. I won't get any powers, but I will still steamroller the encounters.