PDA

View Full Version : The trees are alive... (Peach)

Scorpina
2006-06-05, 05:03 PM
Green Lady
You are suddenly aware of a movement in one of the nearest trees. In one swift moment, an almost arm-like branch reaches out to smash into you, knocking you back. You watch in mounting shock and awe as the tree’s shape twists, taking on the form of a feminine humanoid – though her skin is still bark, and her hair long and green, like moss.

Size/Type: Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 3d8 +6 (20 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed:40 ft. (8 squares)
Armour Class: 16 (+4 natural, +2 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d6+)
Full Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Entangle, Sneak Attack +2d6
Special Qualities: Alternate form, camouflage, darkvision 60 ft, low-light Vision, plant traits, Transport Via Plant
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 13
Skills: Bluff +7, Disguise +7, Move Silently +8
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Feint
Environment: Any forest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral (any)
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The Green Lady is a rare plant creature, often mistaken for a dryad or similar fey creature, which can take on a vaguely humanoid form. Their true form, however, more closely resembles a tree. In humanoid form, it is possible for them to use equipment as humanoid characters do, but most choose not to, as it would mean carrying around such equipment even in their natural form.

Good and neutral Green Ladies often serve as protectors of forests, or allies of elves or druids in their battles against those who would harm the forests in which the green ladies make their homes, while evil green ladies will often join with evil fey or druids in launching attacks upon humanoid settlements. However, each Green Lady has her own mind and motivations, and may care little for the forest.

Green Lady’s speak common, elven and sylvan, though they are only able to vocalise while in humanoid form.

Combat

Typically, a green lady will lie in wait in tree form and launch sneak attacks to initiate combat, only taking her humanoid form if she wishes to weild manufactured weapons (which, if she has had time to prepare for the battle, she will have concealed nearby earlier). Once battle is joined, she will use her Entangle ability to keep multiple foes at a safe distance while she attacks them one at a time.

Alternate Form (Su): A green ladys’s natural form is that of a tree the same size as a medium creature. As a swift action, she can assume an alternate form, in which it takes on the shape of a feminine humanoid – roughly the same size as a fully grown elven woman – while retaining bark-like skin, and growing hair of a similar texture to moss. In humanoid form, her camouflage ability functions differently, and she is able to speak.

Entangle (Su): A green lady can animate plants within 30 feet of herself as a free action (Ref DC 15 partial). The effect lasts until the green lady dies or decides to end it (also a free action). The save DC is Wisdom-based. The ability is otherwise similar to entangle (caster level 4th).

Sneak Attack (Ex): A green lady may deliver a sneak attack, as the rogue ability, to deal 2d6 extra points of damage.

Camouflage (Ex): Since green lady looks like a normal tree when at rest, it takes a DC 30 Spot check to notice it before it attacks (assuming it is in an area where one would expect to encounter trees) Anyone with ranks in Survival or Knowledge (nature) can use one of those skills instead of Spot to notice the plant. This ability only functions when she is in plant form, although she gains a +10 bonus to hide checks in woodland areas even when in humanoid form.

Transport Via Plants (Sp): A green lady may use Transport Via Plants, as the spell as a spell-like ability useable at will.

squishycube
2006-06-05, 05:09 PM
My Cleric (see sig) Rebukes your plant creature, because he has the Plant Domain! Woo, All your plant are belong to us!

Ok, now that's out of the way:

EACH:
What's wrong with Treants :S. Well, I shouldn't be conservative about that, new creatures is always nice.

Alignment: Neutral (Any)
Does that mean the can be NG, TN or NE or does it mean they can be LN, TN or CN. Or something else?

I think she is a bit weak for a CR4. You might want to consider upping AC and to hit, or give her some more abilities.

I like the fluff, could you elaborate wether they are territorial, do they try to protect the forest like Dryads, or "are" they just.

Scorpina
2006-06-05, 05:14 PM
Treants are bigger than medium, and can't change their form. Not that that's 'wrong' so much as it's 'different'.

If I up the AC to about 18, would that work?

Seffbasilisk
2006-06-05, 05:15 PM
I'd up the alternate form to be a swift action, the camoflage DC to 30 or so, and give her the Spell-like ability of Transport via Plants.

That would make her tougher. You'd have to defoliate the forest to make sure you got her, and if she's Evil, that might be her goal.

Imagine a party with a tree-hugging druid that encounters one of these...

Scorpina
2006-06-05, 05:15 PM
I'd up the alternate form to be a swift action, the camoflage DC to 30 or so, and give her the Spell-like ability of Transport via Plants.

That would make her tougher. You'd have to defoliate the forest to make sure you got her, and if she's Evil, that might be her goal.

Imagine a party with a tree-hugging druid that encounters one of these...

You, sir, are a genius.

Scorpina
2006-06-05, 05:19 PM
Alignment: Neutral (Any)
Does that mean the can be NG, TN or NE or does it mean they can be LN, TN or CN. Or something else?

At least half of her alignment will be neutral, like a druid. They can be NG, LN, TN, CN or NE.

Seffbasilisk
2006-06-05, 05:21 PM
;D Thankee, thankee.

The idea is that now this is the ultimate player's nightmare for low levels.

Moral conflictions, etc.

if you're in a big forest? How the deuce are you ever going to get her? She's going to be invisible to 1/2 the party (at least), then be snapping around so fast you need to make a new spot check every few turns, and with her dipping into tree shape, it gets even harder.

The poor poor fighter with his low WIS and INT.

'What's going on? I keep getting hurt!'