PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Equipment of Chaos

Burley
2009-04-08, 06:52 AM
So, I'm starting in a second group on Sunday and I'm going to get to use my halfling sorceror Vernon.
Vernon's problem is that he's first level, and isn't sure what equipment he wants to pick out. He's got amazing stats (20 cha, 19 dex, 15 con, 11s everywhere else), and he's been working on close-quarters casting via the Sorcerous Blade Channeling feat, and he aspires to multi-class into rogue as soon as possible.

So, what should I be looking at as far as equipment and feats, to help him be the best striker this town has ever seen?

Edit: PS- ALL D&D sources are open. I don't have a DDI account, but the material within are available for use, if applicable.
Edit:Edit: Before anybody asks about my stats, the DM offered us all the individual choice of rolling stats or point buy. I figured "Chaotic Incarnite Character... roll 'em." Rolled three 11s in a row, then the good ones. :smallamused:

JackMage666
2009-04-08, 10:22 AM
Does your DM count Daggers as both Weapons and Implements? If so, I'd recommend going Daggermaster. Your Dex is definitely high enough to make use of the powers granted, and the Increased Crit range is great for your Sorcerer powers. I'm simple, and went with a Vicious Dagger, and banked on the high Crit damages.

Burley
2009-04-08, 11:02 AM
Oh, yes, Jack. That is 100% my intention. But, between now and then, I'm looking for feats that will help me "maximize" the weapon/implement "quirk."

JackMage666
2009-04-08, 01:00 PM
I'm not one for cheese, myself. I'd recommend nabbing Implement Expertise (it will only work when you use it as an implement, not a weapon, though, they specify that.)

Weapon Focus can apply, as it doesn't specify that you need to use it with Weapon powers, just use the weapon. Two-Weapon Fighting/Two-Weapon Defense can be used to give another slight boost - Weapon Focus is a bit better than the alternatives like Astral Fire and Dark Fury, since it'll apply to all weapons.

Nimble blade might help if your flanking, to increase attack rolls some more.

Power Attack might prove useful, since you're never targetting AC, your chance of hitting is a bit better.

Slaying Action (From Martial Power), may allow you to deal Sneak Attack damage more than 1/encounter, depending on your DM (You can only do it when you spend action points, but still)

Arcane Spellfury (PHB2) adds another +1 to hit (if you hit last round), which only increases the chance to hit.

kieza
2009-04-08, 02:56 PM
A chainsword. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Seriously, though: Mage's Shortsword (AV), perhaps? It would allow you to swap a sorceror encounter power for a rogue power each fight, and it gives you a slightly higher damage die when using rogue powers, without spending a feat on weapon proficiency. I'd ask your DM about the whole issue of Weapon Focus applying to weapons used as implements, though; I'm not sure I'd allow that in my games.

Burley
2009-04-09, 07:19 AM
That's actually a really, really cool weapon that I'd never noticed before.
Problem: Sorcerors aren't just proficient with daggers, most of the cool feats require them. Sorcerous Blade Channeling (my 2nd feat) is awesome, but requires a dagger. Maybe I can get the DM to fiat that. I'd love to have a rapier or something, thematically. I'll never be making weapon attacks, anyways.

Tiki Snakes
2009-04-09, 09:57 AM
If all else fails, daggers ARE an off-hand weapon and you don't take any penalty in using things off-hand. Take whatever one-handed weapon you like for flavour, treat it 'in character' as your actual weapon, and give off a nice swashbuckly feel by paring your rapier with a 'mere' knife (just like many rapier fighters actually used to back in the day, perhaps? Someone will correct me, I'm sure.)

If you can afford the magic-item expenditure, you could even have the rapier as a magic item as well, just for the off chance of taking opportunity attacks. Not really necessary by the sound of it though, so if you're a little poorer, maybe not.