PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Dwarves (PEACH)

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-11, 08:18 PM
Titanium Dwarves have all the features of the Dwarf race, with the following differences.

-No darkvision, Titanium Dwarves live on the outside of mountains, not the inside.
-Racial bonus stats replace that of the regular dwarf, they are: -2 strength +2 constitution +2 wisdom. TD's are small, but are sure as hell tough and observent..
-Size Small. TD's are smaller than normal dwarves.
-Metal Mastery, TD's love metal in all its forms, and therefor know how to use it and see it. They have the ability as Stonecunning, but it applies to metal instead of stone, this replaces Stonecunning normally.
-Note: TD's retain the stability bonus of regular dwarves, but tend to weigh ALOT more.
-Hatred for Red Dragons and Giants. TD's Training vs. Goblinoid/Orc ability instead applies to Red Dragons of any age, and any and all creatures fitting under the Giant catagory.
-Immunity. TD's have a racial +4 bonus to poison instead of the usual +2 bonus for regular dwarves.
-Toughness. TD's recieve +1 hp every other time you roll for hp.

PEACH please, this is off the top of my head, so it needs balancing.

Hurlbut
2006-06-11, 08:20 PM
Titanium Dwarves have all the features of the Dwarf race, with the following differences.

-No darkvision, Titanium Dwarves live on the outside of mountains, not the inside.
-Racial bonus stats replace that of the regular dwarf, they are: -2 strength +2 constitution. TD's are small, but are sure as hell tough.
-Size Small. TD's are smaller than normal dwarves.
-Titanium Mastery. TD's are experienced with the metal known as Titanium, through this they have aquired the knoledge about it that makes them masters of it. As such, TD's recieve an ability as though Stonecunning, but instead, it applies to everything made out of or from Titanium, this replaces Stonecunning.
-Hatred for Red Dragons. TD's Hate Goblinoid/Orc ability instead applies to Red Dragons of any age.

PEACH please, this is off the top of my head, so it needs balancing.
It's not hatred, it's a racial training. And I would replacet stonecunning with metal instead since Titanium is a metal alloy or ore.

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-11, 08:24 PM
Hmm I didn't know it was an alloy, thanks for that.

Skyserpent
2006-06-11, 08:47 PM
Red Dragons is pretty dern specific, how about something a little more broad, Goblinoids and Giants are entire categories. So how about just dragons in general? after learning to fight Red Dragons, they have decided to learn about others as well...

Winter_Wolf
2006-06-11, 09:54 PM
Well nitpick on titanium, it is in fact an element. Symbol: Ti, atomic number 22.

But back to the topic at hand. How do you reconcile the TD's small size with the dwarven trait of stability? Or is that just a non issue? I mean, I'd always figured it was based on their bulk and being able to stand like a rock, as it were. Are they just shorter, heavier dwarves then? Built like squat brick houses? Are there any bipedal creatures of small size with stability? (Notice I said bipedal.) Or, like I said, it could just be a non-issue, but for my own personal peace of mind I'd like to know.

The Glyphstone
2006-06-11, 10:05 PM
Instead of being rock-solid, they're bouncy. They can be tripped/bullrushed/whatever, but they just rebound back to where they were, unless you hit hard enough. Has the same effects as Stability. ;D

Leyonius
2006-06-11, 10:12 PM
I would consider adding something to balnce for the small size,or a dex or mental stat bonus.

MrSeth
2006-06-11, 10:17 PM
Hm. There's nothing to compensate for the loss of Darkvision, which irks me a little. That's actually a really useful ability, it needs something to tip the scale back after you take it out.

Yossarian
2006-06-11, 10:24 PM
But back to the topic at hand. How do you reconcile the TD's small size with the dwarven trait of stability? Or is that just a non issue? I mean, I'd always figured it was based on their bulk and being able to stand like a rock, as it were. Are they just shorter, heavier dwarves then? Built like squat brick houses? Are there any bipedal creatures of small size with stability? (Notice I said bipedal.) Or, like I said, it could just be a non-issue, but for my own personal peace of mind I'd like to know.

Er... how would it be an issue? Size wouldn't make a difference, because all it means is they're more stable than most creatures of their own size. A titanium dwarf is easier to push around than a standard dwarf, because they're smaller, but harder to push around than a halfling, because they're heavier.

I think they're definitely weaker than regular dwarves (although granted, regular dwarves were pretty strong to begin with):

-Small size is a bit of a drawback, in spite of the nice AC and attack bonus it gives. Although if they keep speed 20 in heavy armor like regular dwarves, that does ease things a little (as does stability).
-A -2 to Str hurts a lot harder than -2 to Cha, unless you're a bard or sorceror.
-Unless you're in a world where red dragons have multiplied and eaten goblinoid races into extinction, the racial attack bonus is probably less favorable.
-Similarly, Metal Mastery generally wouldn't be as useful as Stonecunning. In most worlds stone is going to be a vastly more common building material than metal would.
-Loss of darkvision hurts quite a bit.

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-11, 10:30 PM
I want them to be a sort of an opposite of the dwarf, but not in every way. They have lost their need for darkvision, and so lost the natural ability. The only exception is when mining, but then thye have lanterns and spellcasters cast Brightness (or whatever its called), so they still dont need it. I do have to admit that losing DV hurts, but I dont want people to rely on it.

EDIT: (v) Aaaaaaah thats a good point.

Yossarian
2006-06-11, 11:51 PM
So... whereas dwarves are a relatively strong player race, you want titanium dwarves to be the opposite and be comparatively weak, eh?

[EDIT] Which is not to say that they're horribly nerfed or anything. Mechanically speaking, though, it seems that they kind of fall between dwarves and gnomes without really getting the advantages of either, and without any comparable advantages of their own.

Dizlag
2006-06-12, 12:09 PM
I agree with Yossarian, they need an ability that's their own ... a quality that's their own. How about toughness? Not the feat, but these lil' bugger are tough! It's in the name ... titanium being hard. Add a natural AC and either Great Fortitude or Endurance (Diehard being just a feat away =)

I like the idea of them being small size ... I never would've thought of that. Kudos! Lossing the darkvision is harsh, but I like the explaination ... Natural AC should be an equalizer there. =)

Again, if you're gonna name them Titanium Dwarves, you gotta make them hard and tough.

Dizlag

reorith
2006-06-12, 12:49 PM
how does lowlight vision compare with darkvision? would it be a possible substitution?

dwarves have darkvision out 60 feet

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-12, 01:03 PM
I dont have my book with me right now but I thought dwarves had LLV already, I may be wrong.