PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Were-Can! No, Seriously...

Ceiling009
2009-04-08, 05:19 PM
I was greatly inspired by the show Akikan and bouts of insomnia, and I made what I call the "were-can". I'm not sure if it's... I dunno. I can't even really explain it myself, though I do have thoughts about making were-couches too...

anyway... Here's a Link for the PDF (http://lunespire.googlepages.com/Weircan.pdf)

for those who don't like to dl pdf's...

Weircan (Thinking about changing it to WierKyn)

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 5´ 6” – 6´ 2”
Average Weight: 135–220 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Athletics
Animate Type: You are considered an Animate for effects that relate to that Type.
Potion Affinity: Whenever you use a potion, you do not have to spend a healing surge to gain the effects.
Living Potion: As a Living Potion you have the following traits.

You do not have to eat, but it does not render you immune to any effect; you are also ageless, and choose what age you wish to look.
You are affected by the Repair Object Rote.
You can use the Can Form at-will power.

Drops of Life: You can use the Life Drop Encounter power.

Can Form Weircan Racial Power
You turn into a can…
At-will ✦ Polymorph
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You and your gear transform into a can or bottle and you are considered an object. While in “can” form, you can take no actions, but you are aware of your surroundings and can telepathically communicate with any sentient creature that is holding you. You remain in “can” form until you choose to return to normal form (minor action) or are reduced to 0 hit points.

Life Drop Weircan Racial Power
You produce a shining drop that heals all wounds.
Encounter ✦ Healing
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Spend a Healing surge, instead of gaining the effects, you instead create a Life Drop that lasts until it is used or until the end of the encounter. This Life Drop restores one 3 + half your level + Constitution modifier hit points to whoever imbibes it without spending a healing surge.

Fluff
Wiercans are something of an anomaly, unexplained phenomenon, or a very strange twist of fate. Most are “born” when a person, normally a sentient humanoid, imbibes a soft drink, potion, or can of juice; and through some unfathomable force, the beverage can comes alive, turns into a humanoid and tends to stay close to their “owner”, to those that drank them.

Even though most tend to stay close to their owner, some travel or do extended errands for their owner; though some do have their complete autonomy, and have no “owner” and do what they believe is to be in their power. These are often the adventurers, looking for other Weircans and comparing their lives.

Play a Weircan if you want to be…

Want to be a can…
Likes to toss potions…
Likes being a quirk of the universe…

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Carbon Edge [Weircan]
Prerequisite: Weircan
Benefit: You gain the use of the Carbon Edge at-will power; this replaces one of your at-will powers.
Special: You may not take this feat if you have already taken the Carbon Shot feat

Carbon Edge Weircan Racial Power
You form a weapon of shining carbonated goodness…
At-will ✦ Conjuration
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity, Constitution, or Strength +2 vs. AC; +4 at 11th and +6 at 21st level
Hit: 1d8 + Constitution and Dexterity modifier damage. At 21st level, 2d8 + Constitution and Dexterity modifier damage.

Carbon Shot [Weircan]
Benefit: You gain the use of the Carbon Shot at-will power; this replaces one of your at-will powers.
Special: You may not take this feat if you have already taken the Carbon Edge feat.

Carbon Shot Weircan Racial Power
You form a ball of shining explosive carbonated goodness…
At-will ✦ Conjuration
Standard Action Area Burst 1 within 6 squares
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity, Constitution, or Strength +2 vs. AC; +4 at 11th and +6 at 21st level
Hit: 1d6 + Constitution or Dexterity modifier damage. At 21st level, 2d6 + Constitution or Dexterity modifier damage.

Paragon Tier

Improved Potion Affinity [Weircan]
Benefit: Whenever you drink you a potion, you may spend a healing and gain the effect and also gain the effect of the potion.

Life Burst [Weircan]
Prerequisite: Weircan, Life Drop racial encounter power
Benefit: Whenever someone drinks your Life Drop, they may also make a saving throw against an effect that a save can end.

Alteran
2009-04-08, 06:39 PM
It's a neat idea, but it needs some changes in execution. I think turning into a can at-will would be hilarious, and maybe even useful sometimes!

Potion Affinity is far too good. At even mid-levels, it means extremely cheap healing with no surge cost, and similarly easy access to other useful effects. I would suggest limiting uses of that ability, perhaps to once per day per tier. It's still very worthwhile, but not outright broken.

Life Drop, on the other hand, doesn't seem very good. You won't be healing many HP for the cost of a surge. I would consider increasing HP healed to half-level + 3 per tier + con mod, and the creature who consumes it can make a saving throw. I might also specify that you are creating an item (probably Tiny), and that it costs a minor action to consume it or give it to another creature. If you do that, then it's fair to let the Werecan consume the Life Drop with the same action that creates it.

That seems balanced overall to me, but it's possible I've made an oversight.

Ceiling009
2009-04-08, 09:04 PM
Okay, potion affinity might be way too good, but it something about off setting the not super greatness of Life Drop...But I'll fix it either way.

I think I will follow your suggestion on Once a day per tier for Potion Affinity, I think it works rather well.

How about this for Life Drop?
Heroic: 10 + Half level + Con mod
Paragon: 20 + Half level + Con mod
Epic: 30 + Half level + Con mod

let's give a high con of 20, and take some benchmarks...
with these assumptions:

You pump everything into Con; not including an Epic Destiny boosts...
Average 14 + Con Score starting HP
Average 5 additional HP per level

Level 1: 34 total hp, surge value: 8, Life Drop: 15, Con 20 (+5)
Level 5: 54 total hp, surge value: 13, Life Drop: 17, Con 21 (+5)
Level 10: 79 total hp, Surge value: 19, Life Drop: 21, Con 22 (+6)
Level 15: 104 total hp, Surge value: 26, Life Drop: 34, Con 24 (+7)
Level 20: 129 total hp, Surge value: 32, Life Drop: 37, Con 25 (+7)
Level 25: 154 total hp, Surge value: 38, Life Drop: 50, Con 27 (+8)
Level 30: 179 total hp, Surge value: 44, Life Drop: 54, Con 28 (+9)

Not so bad with crazy Con score, makes it worth while for an encounter power...

How about a not so great con score...?
Level 1: 24 total hp, surge value: 6, Life Drop: 10, Con 10
Level 5: 44 total hp, surge value: 11, Life Drop: 12, Con 10
Level 10: 69 total hp, Surge value: 17, Life Drop: 15, Con 10
Level 15: 94 total hp, Surge value: 23, Life Drop: 27, Con 11
Level 20: 119 total hp, Surge value: 29, Life Drop: 30, Con 11
Level 25: 144 total hp, Surge value: 36, Life Drop: 43, Con 12
Level 30: 169 total hp, Surge value: 42, Life Drop: 46, Con 12

Barely passable. But then again, you aren't pumping con either...

This definitely makes the power worth using at least once, even without pumping con for all its worth... (Which if you aren't a warlock... or... well Warlock, you don't bother doing...) Not as good as healing word though, but then again you aren't a cleric, and this is a racial encounter power...I almost want to make it 15, 30, 50... but that's really make this race amazing healing, so that might be too much.

As for allowing a life drop to be used in the same action as you make it... well, you could just spend another minor action? I could feasibly make it a move action and it could have a special caveat for the make to also imbibe in that same action. Otherwise I think it's easier to leave it that way, as a minor action.

Also, I'm contemplating making "Can Form" a Minor action? What do you think?

Alteran
2009-04-08, 09:48 PM
I think you could go with the second array for life drop and also give the person who takes it a free saving throw, or go with the third array for better healing. I suggest letting them consume it in the same action, since otherwise you are left with only one action on your turn.

I think having Can Form be a minor action is fair, since Change Shape (the Doppelganger power) is a minor action as well.

Ceiling009
2009-04-08, 11:17 PM
Well, there's a paragon feat that allows that, since I think the closest potion that allows that is either level 15 or level 25... And I sort of modeled most of the effect on the PHB1 potions, since I think those are the only real healing potions.

Speaking of feats, did you look at the feats? There are a few that worry me, mostly the Heroic, but the paragon feats pretty much, I'm okay with... at some point I'll probably post a Paragon Path and maybe the Were-couches.

In all seriousness, I think this a something of a... well not core race in my setting, but I could see it having some sort of prominence.