PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on sayings

Eldrys
2009-04-08, 05:24 PM
I didn't want this thread to be saying specific(cuse then ther would be like 5 posts and then be forgotten), but I really only wanted to speculate on the saying "Or I'll be a monkeys uncle(or something along those lines)".

What if you didn't have any siblings, wouldn't the saying be completely hollow and meaningless. And that would seem much more universal and meanigful if you were the parent of the monkey, why isn't the saying "Or I'll be a monkeys dad/mom"?

Rawhide
2009-04-08, 10:09 PM
I didn't want this thread to be saying specific(cuse then ther would be like 5 posts and then be forgotten), but I really only wanted to speculate on the saying "Or I'll be a monkeys uncle(or something along those lines)".

What if you didn't have any siblings, wouldn't the saying be completely hollow and meaningless. And that would seem much more universal and meanigful if you were the parent of the monkey, why isn't the saying "Or I'll be a monkeys dad/mom"?

Ask The Discovery Channel (http://animal.discovery.com/games/pigs/previous/monkeysuncleanswer.html)

Fawkes
2009-04-13, 12:16 AM
http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

thubby
2009-04-13, 01:38 AM
and knowledge is half the battle...?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-13, 02:59 AM
Isn't surprise half the battle?

So you would only need knowledge and surprise?

LCR
2009-04-13, 03:21 AM
I actually thought this was a banking thread. Speculation on savings, you know.

Rawhide
2009-04-13, 03:25 AM
Isn't surprise half the battle?

So you would only need knowledge and surprise?

Knowledge and surprise. Knowledge and suprise and fear.

Three things.

Knowledge, surprise and fear and ruthless efficiency.

Four things... I'll come back in again.

(Ok, so I had to butcher it to make it fit) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o)

Narmoth
2009-04-13, 04:58 AM
Surprise is half the battle just as knowledge is half the battle:
If you don't know where your enemy is, then you are surpised
If you know where your enemy is, then you can surprise them

So you see, they overlap, and thus constitutes the same half of the battle :smallbiggrin:

Katrascythe
2009-04-13, 10:12 AM
Surprise is half the battle just as knowledge is half the battle:
If you don't know where your enemy is, then you are surpised
If you know where your enemy is, then you can surprise them

So you see, they overlap, and thus constitutes the same half of the battle :smallbiggrin:

Wait... so what's the other half of the battle if surprise and knowledge are the same half?

TheBST
2009-04-13, 10:26 AM
Wait... so what's the other half of the battle if surprise and knowledge are the same half?

I can't tell you. It's a surprise.

Katrascythe
2009-04-13, 10:32 AM
I can't tell you. It's a surprise.

*sniffs* But but.... that makes me sad. V_V I wanted to be a good warmonger.

Narmoth
2009-04-13, 11:09 AM

I don't know. Decent equipment, weapon training, the morale of your men and the amount of people under your command?

Katrascythe
2009-04-13, 11:29 AM
Oh? So all that standard stuff they keep saying is good for winning battles. I was hoping it was something like an Avatar or the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Jimp
2009-04-13, 04:07 PM
Knowledge is half the battle, the other half is violence.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-04-13, 05:02 PM
Blowin ****ers heads off.
(http://overcompensating.com/posts/20050809.html)

Eldrys
2009-04-13, 10:21 PM
Whao! This thread totally picked up. I've been away from my computere for a few days and theres been more posts after Rawhides first one. cool.

Katrascythe
2009-04-13, 10:52 PM
Whao! This thread totally picked up. I've been away from my computere for a few days and theres been more posts after Rawhides first one. cool.

See that's what happens when you leave cockroaches alone for a little while, they multiply :P

I really like the Overcompensating response to the "What's the other half?" XD That's really funny, and probably the most honest response I can think of.

.......I can't believe I compared forum posts to cockroaches...

thubby
2009-04-13, 11:40 PM
.......I can't believe I compared forum posts to cockroaches...

picking on poor defenseless roaches, you should be ashamed. :smallannoyed:

Katrascythe
2009-04-13, 11:54 PM
picking on poor defenseless roaches, you should be ashamed. :smallannoyed:

I've learned to not feel bad since the day I got the phone call asking me to walk down the hall to a friend's new apartment and help her to squish thousands upon thousands of roaches because her then-roommate gave up two years prior fighting the devils.

That was not fun. I have even less love for them. And now I'm imagining thread purge as setting up Raid bug bombs...