PDA

View Full Version : Double-Scimitar, Broken?

Gerrtt
2006-08-24, 09:15 AM
Just a warning, this isn't a discussion about using two one-handed scimitars.

I was curious if it would be outrageous to create a double-scimitar as an exotic weapon. Sortof like the double-bladed sword, but with scimitars instead. Naturally it would be 1d6/1d6, 18-20 x2.

My question is would this be broken in use? I mean, granted it gets around the penalties for fighting with two normal scimitars, but you are using an extra feat to become proficient with it. What does everyone think?

*Note, I wasn't sure if this belonged in homebrew or not...it's about something that isn't in any rulebooks I've seen, but I didn't really think it belonged in the general d20 discussion. Oh well, it will get moved if necessary.

Thanks!

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-08-24, 09:26 AM
Arms and Equipment guide has it. And a ton of other awesome stuff.

Gerrtt
2006-08-24, 09:59 AM
OK, well I've never looked at that book so there you go ::).

So it's not "broken" then? Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-24, 10:46 AM
My question is would this be broken in use? I mean, granted it gets around the penalties for fighting with two normal scimitars, but you are using an extra feat to become proficient with it. What does everyone think?
Um, no, you still need TWF to effectively use a double-weapon.

Gerrtt
2006-08-24, 11:09 AM
No, I was referring to the fact that scimitars aren't light weapons and thus you have extra penalties for it.

I know you need TWF, but good call.

Dragonmuncher
2006-08-24, 11:17 AM
Doesn't seem broken to me. A quarterstaff is a simple weapon, 1d6/1d6, but only crits on a 20 and is x2.

An exotic two-bladed sword is 1d8/1d8, 19-20 x2.

Going down from d8 to d6 seems balanced to going from 19-20 to 18-20.

Wasn't there a set of guidelines for creating new weapons? It used some kind of points system, or something, right?

IonizedChicken
2006-08-24, 12:25 PM
Of course it wouldn't be broken. I doubt a piece of ordinary equipment could be designed within rational limits that could break your game. It wouldn't be overpowered either. If anything, exotic double weapons can only be considered underpowered. 1d6/1d6 18-20/x2? The -1/0 damage penalty you get from using a kukri and a scimitar is hardly a big deal.

Uber_Nerd
2006-08-24, 01:25 PM
I think theirs a double scimitar in Eberron.

The_Shaman
2006-08-24, 04:54 PM
Nah, as long as it's not a double-great-scimitar (see great scimitar in sandstorm, it kicks donkeys), you don't need to worry imo.

TheOOB
2006-08-24, 07:41 PM
Heres the question, are scimitars better then longswords, not usually. So a double-scimitar weapon wouldnt be better then a double longsword weapon (the two-bladed sword).

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-24, 08:50 PM
I think theirs a double scimitar in Eberron.
Indeed there is. Same stats, as well.

Also, double weapons actually tend to do significantly more damage over time than a mixed pair of weapons, mostly because you don't have to use two feats on Weapon Focus and so forth. Additionally, you can hold the double weapon in one hand when you need to, and can also strike with one head as a two-handed weapon more easily (the offhand weapon in a mixed pair or double light has to be put away or dropped, which can be quite a detriment).

Fax Celestis
2006-08-24, 09:43 PM
Now here's the question: Can druids wield a double-scimitar?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-24, 10:09 PM
Now here's the question: Can druids wield a double-scimitar?
Might be neat to give it to them as a free proficiency.

Otherwise, they just have to take the EWP like everyone else (after all, druidic vows limit armor and shields, not weapons).

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-08-24, 10:14 PM
No, I was referring to the fact that scimitars aren't light weapons and thus you have extra penalties for it.
Double weapons always count as a One-handed primary and Light off-hand. So you don't get the non-Light weapon penalty.

Gerrtt
2006-08-24, 11:38 PM
Right...I know.

I was saying that using a double-scimitar would be better than using two 1-handed scimitars because the off-hand is automatically light, thus negating the extra penalty for using two 1-handed weapons.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-08-25, 11:31 AM
Double weapons always count as a One-handed primary and Light off-hand. So you don't get the non-Light weapon penalty.

I think you are misunderstanding him, because that's exactly what he is saying

Matthew
2006-08-25, 03:58 PM
I can't see why a Double Scimitar would be any more or less plausable than any other 'Double' weapon. It certainly wouldn't be 'broken', being not much different than the Scimitar / Kukri combination (which has its own advantages)

It might break my suspension of disbelief, though...

*Reblocks all 'double' weapons from his mind*

Hario
2006-08-25, 04:25 PM
This makes me thing there might be a double scythe around their somewhere... talk about uber brokeness... get keen enchantment on one side, thundering (etc. bonus to crit) on otherside