PDA

View Full Version : Abyssal Arcane Destroyer

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-06, 12:48 AM
Decided to take another shot at a PRC, please give any helpful advice without being insulting or flaming
and i'm sure this will need some balancing

Abyssal Arcane Destroyer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_22.jpg
Sir Bodric the paladin walked walked wounded through the dark cold dungeon, he had lost his party and searched desperately for them. "Fellows!" he would shout "Fellows, I search for you! please tell me you are close!"
But he heard the sounds of a creature in pain and thought it his duty to aid it before he himself was to be saved. He found it with little difficulty, and in the corner of the room stood a sickly man prying dead and blackened skin off of his already mangled and boney hands and as he does, he switchins from cackles of masochistic pleasure to whimpers and screams of pain...
But they were also the last things Sir Bodric ever heard as he was obliterated in a burst of demonic fire at the hands of an Abyssal Arcane Destroyer.

HD: d6

Requirements:
Skills- Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge(arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge(the planes) 2 ranks.
Alignment- Chaotic Evil
Arcane Spellcasting- able to cast one evocation spell of each spellcasting level known.
Feats- Spell focus(evocation), Empower spell, Maximize spell
Special- Must have witnessed a great demon battling another creature (demon or otherwise) while spending an entire month within the abyss.
Special- Arcane caster level 5th before enterance of the class.

Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Proffession (Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill points per level: 2 + Int Modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Demonic might, frailty|+1 level of spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Resist destruction +1|--
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Quasit familiar, DR 1/cold iron or good|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Resist destruction +2|--
5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Empowered Evocation|+1 level of spellcasting class
6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Resist destruction +3|--
7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|DR 3/cold iron or good|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|Resist Destruction +4, balor's gift|--
9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|DR 5/cold iron or good|+1 level of spellcasting class
10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|Resist Destruction +5, power of the demons|+1 level of spellcasting class
[/table]

Proficiencies: Abyssal Arcane destroyers are proficient with all simple weapons and two martial weapons of thier choice.

Frailty (Ex): The raw surging power that flows through them is not only dangerous to all around them, but to them aswell. The first time the Abyssal Arcane Destroyer casts a damaging spell of the evocation school he must make a fortitude save (10+highest spell-level known). If the save fails, they take caster level+spell level damage of the same energy type the spell being cast was. Should the save succeed, they may cast freely without making a fortitude save in order to not take damage for the rest of the encounter. Resist Destruction applies to this save.

Spellcasting: At every odd numbered AAD level, aswell as 10th, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became an abyssal arcane destroyer, he must decide to which class he adds each level of abyssal arcane destroyer for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Damage Reduction (Su): at third level, Abyssal Arcane Destroyers gain Damage Reduction 1/cold iron or good, it goes up to 3/cold iron or good at 7th level and 5/cold iron or good at 9th level.

Demonic Might (Su): Through the brute force of the Abyss, the 'AAD' may add his strength modifier(if positive) to the damage roll of any evocation spell they cast. In cases of more than one attack roll (if any) is made during the casting of a spell, each attack roll adds the 'AAD's strength modifier. (ex. scorching ray or magic missile)

Resist Destruction (Su): the 'AAD' gains a +1 resistance to all evocation spells cast upon them every 2 level's at 2nd level. This also applied to saves against thier own frailty resistance checks, see above.

Quasit Familiar: the 'AAD' will gain a quasit as a familiar, whether they want it or not. The quasit devours the 'AAD's original familiar but the 'AAD' takes no damage or experience point loss.

Empowered Evocation (Su): at 5th level, all evocation spells are treated as Empowered spells and do not take a higher spellslot.

Balor's Gift: At 8th level, the AAD recieves a gift of a +1 vorpal longsword. They are considered proficient with it, but no other longsword if not already. Should the owner of this sword try and sell this sword, they are attacked by a balor within 1d4 days. Should the weapon ever be lost, it will not be replaced. Should anyone but the caster attempts to wield this sword, it loses it's magical ability until it goes back into the hands of the owner.

Power of the demons (Su): At 10th level, all evocation spells are maximized and empowered, but the frailty damage dealt to the caster on a failed save is doubled and a roll of a natural 1 on this save is triple damage. When this ability is gained, demonic might no longer applies.

Ex-destroyers: Should an abyssal arcane destroyer ever sway from his chaotic evil alignment, he loses all special abilities, but retains saves, base attack bonuses, spell per day/spells known and proficiencies. Also, if they should ever happen to becomes of Lawful good alignment, they are attacked by 1d4+1 balors. Although this may be averted with an atonement spell cast by a lawful good cleric of at least 15th level.

Edit: spelign airers
Edir2: balors gift can now only be wielded by caster without it just becoming a masterwork sword

Thray
2006-06-06, 08:52 PM
I think you should add a note that the vorpal sword can only be used by the arcane destroyer. Additionally, I'd say change the requirement from "arcane caster level 5" to "able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells"...it's slightly more standard, and it seems like a bard could actually get rather powerful by multiclassing into this. Otherwise it looks rather good...maybe a little on the weak side, so maybe change the fortitude save to a will save?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-06, 09:05 PM
I think you should add a note that the vorpal sword can only be used by the arcane destroyer. Additionally, I'd say change the requirement from "arcane caster level 5" to "able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells"...it's slightly more standard, and it seems like a bard could actually get rather powerful by multiclassing into this. Otherwise it looks rather good...maybe a little on the weak side, so maybe change the fortitude save to a will save?

I would liked to have made it so it was "ability to cast 3rd level spells" but in my party it's deemed that you can gain things at the same level you meet the prerequisites, and that goes for anything. So if you have a wizard which can cast 3rd level spells at 5th level could jump into the class one level early.

And as for the fortitude being the good save, I had considered this, but then it just made the classes one major flaw (to balance out it's eventual major benefit) into something easily overcomable, especially with resist destruction

Catch
2006-06-06, 09:06 PM
I'd agree that it's a tad on the underpowered side. I the the frailty ability kinda overbalances the class. You shouldn't have to save or burn every time you cast a high level spell.

If you want to keep things balanced, I'd switch the abilities of Demonic Might and Empowered Evocations. Specfically, make Demonic Might always active, and make the Empower Evocations ability on a X/day limitation. That's a fair trade, I'd say.

SpiderBrigade
2006-06-06, 09:39 PM
I would liked to have made it so it was "ability to cast 3rd level spells" but in my party it's deemed that you can gain things at the same level you meet the prerequisites, and that goes for anything. So if you have a wizard which can cast 3rd level spells at 5th level could jump into the class one level early.

And as for the fortitude being the good save, I had considered this, but then it just made the classes one major flaw (to balance out it's eventual major benefit) into something easily overcomable, especially with resist destruction

Well, first of all what the heck do you mean by "you can gain things at the same level you meet the prerequisites?" You can only take a level in one class at a time! So if you hit Wizard 5, yes, you can cast 3rd-level spells. But you can't take Abyssal Arcane Destroyer 1 until you level up again. And is there really a problem with taking this class at character level 6 instead of character level 7?

Second, I understand what you're trying to do with the Frailty, but it's just too complicated. Every time they cast a spell they have to make a save, and if they fail the save they make another save, and after that they still have to make a Concentration check? Eww.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-06, 09:47 PM
what's a good substitution for frailty then? i'm beginning to agree that a save per spell sucks much @$$

Thray
2006-06-06, 09:56 PM
How about something with a similar effect that goes off if they ever attempt a concentration check to cast a spell and it fails, or a spell fails due to spell failure?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-06, 10:04 PM
How about something with a similar effect that goes off if they ever attempt a concentration check to cast a spell and it fails, or a spell fails due to spell failure?
Evocation Potency(Ex): Whenever the Abyssal Arcane Destroyer must make a concentration check to maintain a spell from taking damage, on a failed save they take caster level+spell level points of damage of the same type as the spell cast. This also applies to spell failure while wearing armor; whenever a spell is cast and does not overcome spell failure chance, the caster takes the same amount of damage it would on a failed concentration check.

(This good?)

SpiderBrigade
2006-06-06, 10:05 PM
Well, I think that ONE save is okay, it's just the long STRING of saves that is a pain in the but.

If you want to lessen the effect of Frailty, try making it just (spell level) damage instead of (Caster level+Spell level).

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-06, 10:44 PM
Well, I think that ONE save is okay, it's just the long STRING of saves that is a pain in the but.

If you want to lessen the effect of Frailty, try making it just (spell level) damage instead of (Caster level+Spell level).

hmm...maybe at the beginning of an encounter they need to make a save at the highest DC to cast normally and must do so each round until successful, and each failed save takes damage
Edit: that is, only if they cast a spell