PDA

View Full Version : I'm a fanboy?! *gasp*

Fiery Diamond
2009-04-09, 05:01 AM
It is the case rather often that "fanboys" and "fangirls" of celebrities or characters (whether movie, TV show, or video game) are derided by the less...enthusiastic...fans of said celeb, movie, show, or game. However, it has come to my attention that I am, by nature, somewhat inclined to be a fanboy of awesome girl characters in video games and anime. For a while, I was kind of unsure about myself and almost ashamed. I have now come to accept the fact that I'm an obsessive freak and love myself all the same. Because being crazy ain't all that bad.

A couple of characters I am fanboyish about - Rita Mordio from Tales of Vesperia, Sheena Fujibayashi from Tales of Symphonia, and Arisawa Tatsuki from Bleach. Because they are all awesome and made of win. I wish Tatsuki would get more screen time.

But anyway, what about the rest of you people? Have any of you had to come to terms with the fact that you are, in fact, a fanboy or fangirl? Who are you obsessed about? Am I an insane blight upon the earth? (Bwahaha)

Jølly
2009-04-09, 05:20 AM
Uhh...as much as I hate to admit it. I guess I'm a bigger fangirl than I realized for almost anything Twilight... :smallredface:

My past self would totally be kicking my butt right now... :smallsigh:

averagejoe
2009-04-09, 05:29 AM
I, on the other hand, have attempted to be a fanboy when I was younger. I was never really able to pull it off, and I've given up on it entirely.

thubby
2009-04-09, 05:34 AM
<-likes eragon

Lerky
2009-04-09, 05:57 AM
oooooh boy. You don't want to get me started on my "fanboy"-ness. Lesse...

we got computers
That includes Computer programing
computer video games
computer hacking (the good kind of hacking...kinda :smalltongue:)
next we have TV shows like Lost
Fringe
Terminator: The Sarah Conner Cronicles
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: The Next Generation
and of course...video games: Fallout 3
Gears of War 1/2
DoWII
Overlord
DaO (when it comes out)
Demi-God (when it comes out)
Diablo III (wico)
with books we got Inkheart
Inkspell
Inkdeath
Romance Novels (mock me as you will...)
Mtn Dew
Annnd, last but not least: My fanboy obsession with Summer Glau:smallamused:
and on the topic of girls: Samantha Krutzfeldt. Cutest lil' thing I've ever seen!:smallbiggrin:

that about does it for now. Oh and I forgot the most important one:
ORDER OF THE STICK \m/

randman22222
2009-04-09, 06:00 AM
I'm a Sting fanboy. At least, right now I am. It comes and goes. :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-04-09, 06:24 AM
I'm a Sting fanboy. At least, right now I am. It comes and goes. :smalltongue:

Sting as in Sting of the Police? Join the club Randy :smallbiggrin:.
Every Little ting he does is magic...:smallredface:

Tengu_temp
2009-04-09, 06:27 AM
I fail to see anything shameful about being a fanboy.

Assassin89
2009-04-09, 06:41 AM
I enjoy certain games by Nintendo, including the Legend of Zelda series and Mario series, not to mention that I also enjoy Final Fantasy.

Sneak
2009-04-09, 08:38 AM
I am a fanboy of:

Iron & Wine / Sam Beam
The Flaming Lips / Wayne Coyne
The Hold Steady
Thai people/culture/food
The Decembersts / Colin Meloy
Italo Calvino / Pretty much all his books/short stories
A Song of Ice and Fire / GRRM
Apple
Demetri Martin
Scrubs
Charles Dickens
Natalie Portman
Firefly
Nathan Fillion
Historical Linguistics
Bones (the show)
Neverwinter Nights
Giant in the Playground
Cool Hand Luke
Paul Newman

And probably a bunch of other stuff. I think I got the main ones, though.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-09, 08:41 AM
I´m a fanboy.

A Tolkien fanboy. I wish he was sitll alive to write more...

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-09, 08:46 AM
I'm a fangirl of Girl Genius.

Coidzor
2009-04-09, 08:54 AM
I don't know why, but I only seem to have that reaction to people I know in real life who strike me as impressive, charismatic, and/or awesome enough that I should admire them.

Seeing people fixate on fictional characters for the character itself rather than the role in the story and the enjoyment from it as being merely one part of the whole disturbs me. Possibly due to bad experiences in the past with those strange people who develop sexual fixations that don't even have an outlet in our reality.

Actually it kinda disturbs me to see a human fixate on anyone or anything, whether it be their lover, their new baby, or Sephiroth.

WalkingTarget
2009-04-09, 09:40 AM
Hmm...

While I've never been one to *Squeeeee!* over anything I hardly ever pass up opportunities to discuss the works of Tolkien, Lovecraft, Gaiman, or Steven Brust (and to a lesser extent, Stephenson and Pratchett). I try not to do so with people who aren't also already fans unless they ask about it specifically (e.g. "What's up with this Lord of the Rings thing everyone's talking about?" or asking for book suggestions).

I enjoy enough things enough to have a head full of useless trivia about them, but that's just my general nerdishness more than it is fanboyism.

snoopy13a
2009-04-09, 10:03 AM
I'm a little too jaded to be a "fanboy". The stereotypical fanboy is too enthusiatic for my tastes.

H. Zee
2009-04-09, 10:19 AM
From the ages of 14-15 I was a fanboy of Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach. (Hence my name and avatar, since I joined this site back then.)

I still think he's the best character in Bleach, but I no longer believe him to be the best thing in ever.

Neko Toast
2009-04-09, 10:24 AM
It's a little odd sometimes, but I always tend to be a fangirl for anime characters... that die.

Spoilered, for those who watch anime, and may not have seen all of these series.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Kamina
Trigun - Nicolas D. Wolfwood
Fullmetal Alchemist - Maes Hughes
Wolf's Rain - Who am I kidding. Everyone dies in this.
Firefly/Serenity - Wash

Gotta love them Gar characters.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-09, 10:34 AM
It's a little odd sometimes, but I always tend to be a fangirl for anime characters... that die.

Spoilered, for those who watch anime, and may not have seen all of these series.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Kamina
Trigun - Nicolas D. Wolfwood
Fullmetal Alchemist - Maes Hughes
Wolf's Rain - Who am I kidding. Everyone dies in this.
Firefly/Serenity - Wash

Gotta love them Gar characters.

I summon a single manly tear for them.

...ok, that's done.

I've just never been able to summon up the necessary enthusiasm for fanboy-ness. My inherent apathy just keeps getting in the way.

Tensu
2009-04-09, 10:40 AM
I'm a nintendo fanboy, not in that I'm incapable of seeing their flaws, but rather because I am incapable of looking past the flaws of other systems post-PS1/N64 era. looking at a non nintendo system or any controller/game/logo/etc. will cause me to run in terror, and touching one deals acid damage, or maybe I just take so much sanity damage I think I'm being dealt acid damage. it's defiantly one of the two.

Dragonrider
2009-04-09, 10:40 AM
Cat Stevens
Angel the Show
Angel the character
Firefly
Girl Genius
John Green

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-09, 10:43 AM
Jonathan Coulton
The Green Brothers
Paul & Storm
Mutants & Masterminds
Exalted
AFMBE
Post-apocalyptic fiction
Fallout series
Bioware RPGs.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-09, 11:12 AM
-The Beatles
-John Lennon
-George Harrison
-Ringo Starr
-Undead(Zombies, vampires, liches, etc)
-Dhani Harrison
-Phantom of the Opera
-Batman
-JokerxHarley Quinn
-Watchmen
-Nite Owl II
-Hugh Laurie
-Helena Bonham Carter
-Alucard from Hellsing
-Crispin Freeman

There are probably quite a bit more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-09, 11:18 AM
-The Beatles
-John Lennon
-George Harrison
-Ringo Starr
-Undead(Zombies, vampires, liches, etc)
-Dhani Harrison
-Phantom of the Opera
-Batman
-JokerxHarley Quinn
-Watchmen
-Nite Owl II
-Hugh Laurie
-Helena Bonham Carter
-Alucard from Hellsing
-Crispin Freeman

There are probably quite a bit more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I think things you don't fangirl over might be a shorter list :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-09, 12:09 PM
I think things you don't fangirl over might be a shorter list :smalltongue:

Perhaps, but where's the fun in that?

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-09, 12:14 PM
Perhaps, but where's the fun in that?

It'd be like a giant scavenger hunt?

randman22222
2009-04-09, 12:26 PM
My fanboyism is being split now. It's split between Sting+Dominic Miller, and Chris Martin+the rest of Coldplay. :smalltongue:
I am currently rubbing my right fingertips raw playing bass along with "Clocks".

I saw Coldplay in concert a week or so ago. It was absolutely incredible. I recommend seeing them to anyone.

Katrascythe
2009-04-09, 10:43 PM
Wow... fangirlness.... That takes a little bit of thought for me to figure out exactly what would qualify. I'm not a die hard fangirl of much of anything, at least not to the extent of people here.

Here's what I got -

Warhammer 40k/The Imperium/DoW I & II
C&C
Most RTS's I've ever played.....
Computers
D&D
Fiction of all flavors
Movies, I have over 800
Sam and Fuzzy
Two Lumps
Freakangels
Heavy Metal (former headbanger, not so much now)

That's really about all I can think about right now

TheBST
2009-04-10, 01:18 AM
I'd just like to declare my pure and true man-love for The Wire and Tom Waits.

MisterSaturnine
2009-04-10, 01:22 AM
Tom Waits.

This. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm a fanboy of Bright Eyes, Zooey Deschanel, Neil Gaiman, and Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Ichneumon
2009-04-10, 02:03 AM
fanboys and fangirls? I'm quite a huge fan of Heroes (the tv-series) myself.

Fiery Diamond
2009-04-10, 06:22 AM
It's nice to see I have some company:smalltongue:

As far as being fanboyish about whole series, I love Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and to a slightly lesser extent Final Fantasy. And Golden Sun is awesome and they should have made a third game.

Killersquid
2009-04-10, 08:41 AM
Hmm...just noticed I fanboy over series/characters that move me emotionally, be it charged or saddened, but that is probably what fanboyism means anyway. Spoilers here for obvious reasons. No particular order, whatever comes to my head.

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann - Nia's and Kamina's death
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - the end where you fight the boss and realize how broken of a soul he is, and what you do is unable to stop the injustice of the wall
Warhammer 40,000 - the whole series pumps me with laughter and awe
Warcraft 3 - Grom's Death, Arthas's betrayal,

All I can think of at the very top of my head.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-10, 09:05 PM
I support fanboy/fangirldom because we are the true counter-culturals. Especially the more-geeky-less-popular stuff. We know that people are sneering at us, but we don't give in to peer pressure to be bored and unenthusiastic. Instead we choose to get the most enjoyment we can from the subject of our fandom!

Vuzzmop
2009-04-10, 09:10 PM
I'm a fan of a lot of generally nerdy things, but I don't know if I could be considered a fanboy of any of them. I think the swaying factor is my ability to criticise most of what I see and read. Most who call themselves "Fanboys" lack this ability, although I understand that there are definate exceptions among all fandoms.

Haruki-kun
2009-04-10, 09:12 PM
Sheena Fujibayashi from Tales of Symphonia

SHEEEENAAAAA!!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

As they say in 4chan: Sheena is mai Waifu! X3

Welcome to fandom life. You're gonna love it. :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2009-04-10, 09:19 PM
The Good Beatles (John, George, Ringo)
David Bowie
Mick Ronson
Robert Smith
Simon Gallup
Joe Perry
Jim Morrison
Joe Strummer
Ace Frehley
Paul Stanley
Mick Jagger
Steven Tyler
Keith Moon
Steve Harris
Eddie Izzard
The Good Gunners (Slash, Axl, Izzy, Duff)
Johnny Depp
Tim Burton
The Police
Randy Rhoads
Iron Maiden
Legend of Zelda

Ooh. This list is rather long, isn't it?

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-10, 09:56 PM
I'm a fan of a lot of generally nerdy things, but I don't know if I could be considered a fanboy of any of them. I think the swaying factor is my ability to criticise most of what I see and read. Most who call themselves "Fanboys" lack this ability, although I understand that there are definate exceptions among all fandoms.

Yeah, I guess with the definition of Fanboy being someone who feels like their beloved <whatever> can do no wrong, then I'm more of just a fan than a fanboy. For example, I don't like every part of every episode of Firefly.

Phae Nymna
2009-04-10, 10:58 PM
As a brief outline of what I am fanboyish about:

Sylar
Kroenen
The Hellboy Series
Heroes
Dexter Morgan
Schroedinger (Hellsing)
The Captain (Hellsing)
Drow
Antinous
Collin152
Sweeney Todd
Avenue Q
Team Fortress 2
Bioshocks 1 & 2

Rutskarn
2009-04-10, 11:44 PM
Being a classical geek, I am, of course, a fanboy of many different stripes.

However, I realized recently that I am a massive, drooling, simpering fanboy of something different than the traditional fandoms.

It's not Buffy, or Firefly, or Valve games, or Dungeons and Dragons. No, it's the whole goddamn English language.

I've decided that I love every single friggin' thing about English as it is spoke and writ (idiomatic English, that is to say). I like how it sounds. I like its depth and breadth of vocabulary, the subtleties of its connotations. I like how it has the original words for many inventions and innovations, and need not resort to loanwords for many things I encounter on a daily basis. I like it as it is scrupulously followed, I love it as it is bent, and I am fascinated by it as it is broken.

I think the thing that pushes this to full-on fanboyism is how, if I were asked to name the best language on Earth, I would respond "English" without having any reasonable grounds with which to base that on. I could probably pull up some BS stats, but I'd just be stretching. I have a functional grasp of Spanish and a very basic understanding of German, but I'm hardly a damn linguist, here.

Still. English is great, and if anyone tells you otherwise, I need to know where they live so I can award them their complimentary beat-down.

Verbally, of course.

Bayar
2009-04-11, 03:58 AM
Im a nekomimi fanboy. :biggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-11, 05:12 AM
I'm a fanboy of that some people here should post more often.....*coughWalruscough*

averagejoe
2009-04-11, 05:16 AM
I've decided that I love every single friggin' thing about English as it is spoke and writ (idiomatic English, that is to say). I like how it sounds. I like its depth and breadth of vocabulary, the subtleties of its connotations. I like how it has the original words for many inventions and innovations, and need not resort to loanwords for many things I encounter on a daily basis. I like it as it is scrupulously followed, I love it as it is bent, and I am fascinated by it as it is broken.

Are there associated cosplays? Collectible action figures? Celebrity paraphernalia?

Because I could get into that.

Rutskarn
2009-04-11, 10:35 AM
Are there associated cosplays? Collectible action figures? Celebrity paraphernalia?

Because I could get into that.

Yeah, all that stuff.

The erotic fanfiction's a little weird, though.

Mr. Moon
2009-04-11, 04:17 PM
About a year ago, I was a huge Naruto fangirl.
Then I got lazy and stopped watching it.
Now I still claim KabuxKaka to be my favourite crackpairing.

Right now, I think I'm becoming a Reno fangirl (he'd be so awesome if Cloud and Vincent weren't in the same series... v.v). And Gorden Freeman (dispite the fact that the guy creeps me out). Dunno how that happened.

Oh yeah, and the Sniper.
I epicly fail when playing him.
But he's just so cool. ^^

Edit: And how could I forget? Mr. Referee, of Metabots. He's made of pure win.

InaVegt
2009-04-11, 06:12 PM
I fangirl over RabbitHoleLost

bosssmiley
2009-04-12, 07:14 AM
<-- Mad Men, David Attenborough, Top Gear, Megas XLR, James Purefoy and Steven Fry (I like my men manly and/or well-educated. Oh. :smalleek: :smallredface: )

Also: Totoro is SUPERIAH! :smallwink:

Anuan
2009-04-12, 07:54 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty much an RHL fanboy :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-04-12, 08:50 AM
Hm...

David Ford, Duke Special,
Joss Whedon,
Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

are the people who spring to mind.

Scorpina
2009-04-12, 10:17 AM
Wonder Woman (shocking, I know). Also Oracle/Batgirl I and Batman.

*punts Marvel Comics*

unstattedCommoner
2009-04-12, 10:59 AM

Why am I reminded of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHv7NGWb0k)?

zeratul
2009-04-12, 11:00 AM
I'm a total Alexy Laiho fangirl fanboy, also Petri Lindroose :smalltongue:. I'm also a bit of a cowboy bebop fanboy.

Recaiden
2009-04-12, 11:07 AM
I'm also a bit of a cowboy bebop fanboy.

Seconded. And Neil Gaiman

Phae Nymna
2009-04-12, 11:31 AM
I'm a fanboy of that some people here should post more often.....*coughWalruscough*
Aww. . .
Don't worry yourself, I'm coming back.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-12, 11:33 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty much an RHL fanboy :smallbiggrin:

I..uh...um..
What?
:smallredface:

Helanna
2009-04-12, 03:02 PM
My first reaction was, "Nope, I don't fangirl about anything." But then, given some of the definitions of fangirl . . .

Death Note
Joss Whedon
Terry Pratchett and Discworld
Tolkien
Wheel of Time (partially)
Firefly, Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog (I know I said Joss Whedon, but still . . . )
Discworld (again, because it's amazing)

So . . . a few things, yeah.

Recaiden
2009-04-12, 04:24 PM
I..uh...um..
What?

What? It's a perfectly reasonable thing.
<<
>>

InaVegt
2009-04-12, 04:31 PM
I..uh...um..
What?

It's the most normal thing in the world to fanperson over someone as witty, nice, brilliant, beautiful, cute, hawt, cool, and awesome as you.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-12, 05:32 PM
My ego. You're going to make it asplode.
<3

Recaiden
2009-04-12, 06:25 PM
RHL is one of most of the good things in the world. I just don't like fanboy-ing over people in a non art/literature context.

Vella_Malachite
2009-04-12, 06:47 PM

Hugs, man, hugs.

I wholeheartedly agree. To the point where I get visible twitches if anybody misuses it. I personally prefer the English that isn't mixed with numbers, but I'm willing to accept the coolness of a language that can be expressed numerically.

As for traditional fangirling, I tend to go through stages.

Possibly my first fangirl subject was Silk, from the Belgariad. From there, I have gone through stages of:

L, from Death Note;
Xanth, from The Edge Chronicles;
Moist Von Lipwig, The Discworld series;
Breifly, Gaara from Naruto (yes, I know), but now Shikamaru;
Alucard, from Hellsing;
And, yes, Zuko, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I don't know if any of them can be considered true fangirling, given I can be totally obsessed with them for the duration of my watching/reading the series and possibly for a few months afterwards, then the next one comes along. But I keep coming back to these ones. v.v

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-12, 07:05 PM
Alucard, from Hellsing;

Alucard fangirls UNITE!

CMOTDibbler
2009-04-12, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I'm a fanboy. I'm obsessed with the Teen Titans(Raven). Not with any specific character(Raven), I just like(Raven) the show.

Gem Flower
2009-04-12, 07:48 PM
Well, er, I know more about Robert Pattinson than any other subject, ever. And I am the most obsessed Twilight fangirl alive. Please don't hate me.:smallfrown:

EDIT: Well, I might possibly know more about Twilight than Robert Pattinson, but it's pretty close.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-12, 07:52 PM
Well, er, I know more about Robert Pattinson than any other subject, ever. And I am the most obsessed Twilight fangirl alive. Please don't hate me.:smallfrown:

EDIT: Well, I might possibly know more about Twilight than Robert Pattinson, but it's pretty close.

I'll protect you from all the scary Twilight haters, Gem.
:: brandishes an octopus ::

Edit: I can't believe I totally forgot Kevin Smith! D=

Sneak
2009-04-12, 07:57 PM
Well, Twilight is really a very poorly written book, and it seems quite obvious that the quotient of bears in it really does—

—YE GODS, THERE BE AN OCTOPUS! THE ONE WEAKNESS OF THIS POOR TWILIGHT-HATING BODY! CURSED BE THY NAME, O TENTACLEY MONSTER OF THE DEEP!

Please...

Have mercy.

Gem Flower
2009-04-12, 07:59 PM
Well, Twilight is really a very poorly written book, and it seems quite obvious that the quotient of bears in it really does—
—YE GODS, THERE BE AN OCTOPUS! THE ONE WEAKNESS OF THIS POOR TWILIGHT-HATING BODY! CURSED BE THY NAME, O TENTACLEY MONSTER OF THE DEEP!

Please...

Have mercy.

Aw, Gem's feelings are hurt.:smallfrown: *pouts*

Wait a second, quotient of bears?:smallconfused:

Stormthorn
2009-04-12, 08:01 PM
One of these days i will be a fanboy of something. One day.

Rutskarn
2009-04-12, 08:06 PM
One of these days i will be a fanboy of something. One day.

No promises, but try:

Dr. Horrible

Watchmen (graphic novel)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Films by Nick Frost and Simon Pegg

Vatsy and Bruno (http://www.chocolatehammer.org/?page_id=551)

Calvin and Hobbes

Existence

Stormthorn
2009-04-12, 08:08 PM
No promises, but try:

Dr. Horrible

Watchmen (graphic novel)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Films by Nick Frost and Simon Pegg

Vatsy and Bruno

Calvin and Hobbes

Existence

Hmm...Calvin and Hobbes and the films i did try. Pretty good but not generating fanboyism.

Buffy and Dr. Horrible i avoid due to popularity. I know its shallow but i tend to shy away from popular things.

Watchmen...might be a good idea.

CMOTDibbler
2009-04-12, 08:24 PM
Watchmen...might be a good idea.
Watchmen is always a good idea. Anybody that hasn't read it should.

Saint Nil
2009-04-12, 08:25 PM
Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann. You cannot escape its power.

Sneak
2009-04-12, 08:33 PM
Aw, Gem's feelings are hurt.:smallfrown: *pouts*

Wait a second, quotient of bears?:smallconfused:

It's a well known literary device.
In other words, I was joking. ;) Sowwy, I tend to do that.
@Stormthorn: so Buffy and Dr. Horrible qualify as popular, while Calvin & Hobbes and Watchmen do not?

That seems to be quite the arbitrary distinction, then. :smallconfused:

Even completely disregarding the fact that I disagree with the "popular = bad" mindset, your logic still doesn't make any sense to me. :/

In any case, you can do without Buffy, but I highly recommend Dr. Horrible and his deliciously nefarious Blog. It doesn't take much time to watch, and it's well worth it.

Stormthorn
2009-04-12, 09:06 PM
@Stormthorn: so Buffy and Dr. Horrible qualify as popular, while Calvin & Hobbes and Watchmen do not?

I dint say that. I alreayd read Calvin and Hobbes and Watchmen was the proposal i accepted.

Sneak
2009-04-12, 09:17 PM
I dint say that. I alreayd read Calvin and Hobbes and Watchmen was the proposal i accepted.

:smallconfused:

OK...so why did you read Calvin & Hobbes in the past, then? Is this aversion to popularity a new addition to your arsenal?

And that still doesn't explain why you "accepted" Watchmen. Watchmen is almost definitely more popular than Dr. Horrible.

Just trying to understand, here.

Divine Comedy
2009-04-12, 09:30 PM
Christopher Walken.

Stormthorn
2009-04-12, 09:49 PM
OK...so why did you read Calvin & Hobbes in the past, then? Is this aversion to popularity a new addition to your arsenal?

And that still doesn't explain why you "accepted" Watchmen. Watchmen is almost definitely more popular than Dr. Horrible.

Yes, it is. Calvin and Hobbes goes back at least 5 years for me.

Well...Watchmen intrigues me more than the others. Enough so that its popularity doesnt bother me.

Sneak
2009-04-12, 09:51 PM
Alright, fair enough then. I still recommend that you at least try Dr. Horrible, but hey, do whatever ya want. :smallsmile:

I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you or anything...I just didn't understand your reasoning.

Anyway, here's another two to add to my fanboy list:

-Devendra Banhart

-My brother

-My cousin Sam

Phaedra
2009-04-13, 03:40 AM
I shamelessly fangirl over many things, the most notable being Discworld, Final Fantasy, Leonard Cohen, Shakespeare and David Tennant. Especially David Tennant. Even more especially David Tennant in Hamlet. That was gooooood.

averagejoe
2009-04-13, 04:10 AM
Calvin and Hobbes got me through elementary school. I identified with that kid so much when I was his age.

Heck, even now I want to just jump out a window and go exploring when I'm in class. Bleh.

Anuan
2009-04-13, 04:19 AM
Legend of Zelda series. It's made entirely of win and, often, sad endings ;-;
Jackie Chan.
David Belle.
Sebastian Foucan.
Myself (somebody's gotta love me, may as well be me :smallbiggrin:)

Trystane_Insane
2009-04-13, 07:35 PM
Heh, I would consider myself a fangirl. Although the term 'fangirl' brings to mind screaming hormonal teenagers crowded intot he front of auditoriums/movie theaters, I am slightly abnormal in the people I admire.

Spock, The Doctor, and Artemis Fowl are a few of my favorites.

So what if I prefer fictional characters over *actual* ones? With fictional characters, you can't say that any fantasies you have about them are unrealistic.

"Spock would never feel an extremely subtle affection for a young intellectual female who unexpectedly beamed aboard the Enterprise due to a temporal anomality, and if he did, it would never be expressed! That's completely unrealistic!"

"Funny, you never complained about the 'completely unrealistic' existance of an alien species with a completely logical mind, or even that of a futuristic universe/society which we, as 21st century humans, can view with our current technology."

This conversation wouldn't hapen, though, because my RL acquaintances aren't into sci-fi as much as I am. And if it would, I probably would attempt to prove that the creation of such fantasies are, indeed, 'realistic'. ("See, we had been mind-melding frequently as part of the psychological experiment he was assigned, and when contact is made between two minds that often, it's impossible for at least a few traits to not rub off.")

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-14, 12:23 AM
D=
I can't believe I forgot Mandalorians!

Lord Blace
2009-04-14, 12:28 AM
D=
I can't believe I forgot Mandalorians!

YES YOU DID YOU HORRIBLE PERSON!

:smalltongue:

I fanboy over the original Star Wars trilogy, KotOR (mostly Revan), most of the old 90's hero cartoons, and various video games. :smallsmile:

Hell Puppi
2009-04-14, 12:56 AM
Calvin and Hobbes got me through elementary school. I identified with that kid so much when I was his age.

Heck, even now I want to just jump out a window and go exploring when I'm in class. Bleh.

I have a Hobbes tattoo on my leg :smalltongue:

...but I'm an Alucard fangirl. It's so very sad. I squee every time I start watching Hellsing again and he shows up. I think my tiny fangirl brain would explode if he somehow became real and showed up anywhere near me.

Athaniar
2009-04-14, 06:59 AM
I'm mostly a Warcraft fanboy, I guess, but also Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate SG-1, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, lots of other Sci-Fi shows, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Futurama, lots of other shows in many other genres, Order of the Stick (of course), Yu-Gi-Oh! the Abridged Series, probably lots of other Internet things, Nintendo Wii, lots of other things.... Well, a lot of things in general. But first and foremost Warcraft.

averagejoe
2009-04-14, 08:42 AM

...but I'm an Alucard fangirl. It's so very sad. I squee every time I start watching Hellsing again and he shows up. I think my tiny fangirl brain would explode if he somehow became real and showed up anywhere near me.

Whatever. Spaceman Spiff would totally win in a fight against Alucard.

Rogue 7
2009-04-14, 09:20 AM
OP has excellent taste in fictional women.

Myself? Lessee...stuff I love so much I'm basically blind to flaws-

Persona 4 so goddamn much despite the fact that I haven't played the damn game.
Halo.
Firefly
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog
Mahou Sensei Negima
Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga, mainly)
The Lord of the Rings movies.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Harry Potter

Other stuff I think is awesome, but less so than the above:
Naruto
Bleach (Bleach has been terrible lately)
The Tales Series
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Battlestar Galactica
Full Metal Panic!
Star Wars
Most of David Edding's work.
Probably a lot more stuff....

Characters I think are ten kinds of awesome?
Helo from BSG
Kallen Stadfelt, Code Geass
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto
Yoko, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (and that's going on 4 episodes)
Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia
and many, many more.

Athaniar
2009-04-15, 05:14 AM
Franchises/bands/performers/series/games/miscellaneous things I more or less consider myself a fan of:

Age of Empires (including Age of Mythology)
Age of Wonders
Babylon 5 (but not Crusade)
Beetle Bailey
Cats (the animal)
Cheers
The Dark Knight (the Batman film)
Doctor Who (but not Torchwood)
Dschinghis Khan
Dungeons & Dragons (in general)
Engrish
First Wave
Forgotten Realms
Futurama
Giant Mutant Squid "Alien" from Watchmen. And Bubastis.
Giant in the Playground Forums
Good music (genres vary, but not (most) metal and ballads)
Harry Potter
Heroes (the TV series)
History
James Bond
Legend of Zelda
Lord of the Rings
The Lovecraft Mythos (somewhat)
Merlin (the recent TV series)
Midsomer Murders
Monty Python
Mythology
Naruto The Abridged Series
Navy CIS
Order of the Stick
Scrubs
Seven Days
The Simpsons
Stargate SG-1 (but not Atlantis)
Starship Troopers (the first film)
Star Trek (not seen TOS yet, and ENT has yet to amaze me (just season 1 so far)
Star Wars
Super Mario
Super Smash Brothers
Warcraft
Weird Al
YouTube
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series

Note that there's a lot of more stuff I like, but this is what I especially like. I think.

Stormthorn
2009-04-15, 11:22 PM

Two questions:

1: Where on your leg?

B: If the answer to 1 was any part above your knee, can i see it?

Hell Puppi
2009-04-17, 09:54 PM
1: On/near my ankle.

2: Yes, give me a min

Edit: Sorry for the blurry....it's my camera phone.
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/71/l_b0ed716777b542a285564ae8eeb88b53.jpg

Fiery Diamond
2009-04-18, 07:21 PM
Hobbes...tattoo.... ...

Hold on while I try to keep my composu-

THAT IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

sorry.

Also, Spaceman Spiff is the best space hero evar.

And I don't know RabbitHoleLost and have not interacted much with RHL on these forums...I feel I'm missing something important from my life now...

KilltheToy
2009-04-18, 09:12 PM
I'm a Kirby fanboy. That is all.

Ceska
2009-04-19, 08:31 AM
Existence
Kudos, that was the first one I could claim to be a fan of as well.

As for fictional works, I'm usually glad when I finish one, let alone being mad about it.

Fiery Diamond
2009-04-19, 02:48 PM
Owaa..... I have more characters that I'm fanboying over....

From History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi:
Kisara AKA Valkyrie- What can I say, I have a thing for tomboys......I wish I knew a real-life tomboy besides my sister, who isn't really a tomboy exactly anyway...
Shigure- I am totally against the canonical pairing of Miu and Kenichi. I hate Miu. Shigure&Kenichi, despite age difference, is what I support.

And I am the type to almost-squee. Ah, Kisara and Shigure...

That reminds me. If anyone wants to check out the difference in body structure between Kisara and all of the other female fighters in that series, I have to say I find Kisara more attractive. Her....um....you know....are smaller and don't draw the eye. Maybe I'm strange, but I think that's more attractive than the way the other girls are in that series. Ah, Kisara-sama...

Edit, because I don't want to double-post:

I'm am going crazy over those characters... Shigure&Kenichi=SO CUTE *squee* And Kisara is just so awesome...
Bah, Miu.