PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Power source consistancies

Darth Stabber
2009-04-09, 11:22 AM
So just some noticing but it seems like classes with in a powersource have some interesting similarities

Aracane: wants to control
Wizard - Almost Pure Controller
Warlock - Striker sub Controller
Bard - Leader sub Controller
Sword Mage - Defender sub Controller
Sorcerer - Striker sub ?????(not familiar enough but I'm guessing controller)

Divine: wants to lead (except Avenger who just wants things dead)
Cleric - Almost Pure Leader
Paladin - Defender sub Leader
Invoker - Controller sub Leader
Avenger - Striker (almost wants to be sub defender, given their proclivity to isolate and annihilate) exception to what I am saying

Martial: want to strike
Fighter - Defender sub Striker
Rogue - Striker
Ranger - Striker
Warlord - Leader sub Striker

Primal - I don't know anything about primal.

Has anyone else noticed this trend, am I way off base or what?

kieza
2009-04-09, 12:03 PM
The trend is definitely there. I think that the trend for Primal characters is to have more hitpoints but lower armor. You could argue that this makes them lean towards Defender, but I don't think that they have enough marking or similar mechanics for that role; they really just lean towards being tough.

I actually doubt that we'll see a Defender-leaning power source; the four that have been confirmed are Ki, Psionic, Elemental, and Shadow, and I don't see any of them being defendery--maybe Ki, but it's a stretch.

Draz74
2009-04-09, 12:11 PM
I've never played a Warlord to know, but I've definitely seen it classified before as "sub Defender" rather than sub Striker. So it may be another exception.

TheOOB
2009-04-09, 12:14 PM
Warlord is more sub defender, just so you know.

There are definite themes, also in just how the classes work. Martial classes always use weapons and never implements(which is an advantage), and they rarely perform area attack(esp walls), or do teleportation, but they make up for that in other areas.

Arcane classes are almost always ranged(there is one and a half melee arcane, swordmade and bard, and both have plenty of ranged utility). Aside from the swordmage they all use cool implements with differing effects(in fact only the bard and swordmade use weapon attacks pretty much at all). They favor energy attacks, and do the most blatantly magical effects.

Divine classes are pretty much all melee ranged hybrids(save the invoker who is more an arcane class with radiant damage), they all use channel divinity, and they all use the holy symbol(save the invoker again), a generic useful implement that leaves your hands open for more weapons. They tend be more leader esq.

Primal classes are all about change and diversity. The druid can change shapes at will and thus change what power sets they use, the barbarian and warden use their daily powers to change their abilities for a battle, and the spirit shaman had two spots on the battlefield(them and their spirit), and can use different powers from either of them. Primal should also be noted is a fairly melee heavy power source, barb and warden use weapons and no implements, druid uses implements, but half their abilities are melee, and shaman use implements but melee through their spirit at times.

Alteran
2009-04-10, 12:58 AM
Martial classes always use weapons and never implements(which is an advantage)

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think this is true. Well, it's true that martial classes use weapons, but not that this is an advantage. You do get a proficiency bonus from using a weapon, but attacks that use implements generally attack NADs (Non-AC Defences), which are usually lower than AC. This offsets the lack of a proficiency bonus. It's true there are some weapon powers that attack NADs, but these are the exception.

You do lose out on the different weapon properties (such as high crit), but I don't think that's a big disadvantage.

Edit: Huh, I forgot to comment on the OP. I agree that power sources generally do have trends. Arcane classes are often controllery, Divine classes are leadery, and primal classes have a lot of changing and morphing going on. Martial classes are a bit of an exception, but I'd say they generally lean towards defending as a secondary aspect. The Warlord is a secondary defender, I've heard people refer to the fighter as a pure defender, the rogue is more of a skillmonkey as a secondary aspect, and I think the ranger is a pure striker, with emphasis on skirmishing. Hmm. This actually makes it look like martial is split between defender and striker secondary, which may be true.

Izmir Stinger
2009-04-10, 01:05 AM
It's true there are some weapon powers that attack NADs, but these are the exception.

They also tend to do less damage than same-level powers that taget AC.

Enlong
2009-04-10, 01:15 AM

But getting your NADs attacked really frickin' hurts.

its_all_ogre
2009-04-10, 03:42 AM
i actually view the martial classes, particularly the phb ones, as purist classes.
the fighter is the most pure dedicated defender as he stops moving enemies and even gets to hit shifting enemies which nobody else does. only competition i've seen is with warden simply because his interrupt attack is harsh (str weapon vs fort does damage and causes all allies to gain CA.ouch)

warlord is a more aggressive leader than the cleric, dedicated to increasing damage capacity of the party either by increasing accuracy(taclord) or powers that boost all allies damage for a turn(inspiring). inspiring warlord with vanguard weapon is obscene. my level 3 one can boost damage so much right now.

rogue arguably the most pure striker, imo, but also has some control powers moving enemies are and stuff. add on sneak in the attack and he is nasty. minions are annoying though. slaying action a must

ranger as rogue but better against multiple enemies with close bursts and twin strike, minions are toast. also gets encounter powers that only use a minor action which can be nice.

so actually the defining point could be aggression overall? they are all much more 'just in your face hitting you'?

its_all_ogre
2009-04-10, 03:59 AM

depends on the class.
warlord level 1 encounter power. you attack refles and an ally adjacent to the enemy gets a basic attack adding your cha modifier to damage.
so your attack only does 1W+str but your ally does 1W+str+your cha.
arguably better than 2W+your str. (if it's a fighter they mark them too. this is an ideal situation!)