PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #644 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2009-04-09, 01:13 PM
New comic is up, though I am posting it during the day in order to get it up as soon as possible. The boards will be down for a while, though by the time you read this, they will be back.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-09, 10:47 PM
New comic is up, though I am posting it during the day in order to get it up as soon as possible. The boards will be down for a while, though by the time you read this, they will be back.

Lovely homage. Daigo keeps it from being to maudlin. Three thumbs up.

PhantomFox
2009-04-09, 10:52 PM
Nice tribute. Nice to see the crayons again.

ref
2009-04-09, 10:54 PM
Thanks for everything, Dave, wherever you are.

Sharoth
2009-04-09, 10:56 PM
Thank you Giant for such a wonderful tribute and thank you Dave for bringing this game to life! I for one appreciate that and offer a heartfelt "Thanks!" May your worlds always be interesting and full of wonderful people!

Lord Seth
2009-04-09, 10:59 PM
I'm probably the only person who is actually pondering this, but...doesn't this contradict the origin stories we've been given previously in the comic?

turkishproverb
2009-04-09, 11:01 PM
Its... so perfect.

MReav
2009-04-09, 11:04 PM
Preparing the 21 dice salute.

*Roll* 16
*Roll* 8
*Roll* 19
*Roll* 3
*Roll* 10
*Roll* 18
*Roll* 3
*Roll* 14
*Roll* 15
*Roll* 11
*Roll* 14
*Roll* 2
*Roll* 10
*Roll* 12
*Roll* 19
*Roll* 8
*Roll* 14
*Roll* 15
*Roll* 19
*Roll* 15
*Roll* 6

To the guy that comments about the contradiction: that information is in the secret lore of the Sapphire Guard. This is a comparatively generic fairy tale.

Who cares if it is true?

Sharoth
2009-04-09, 11:05 PM
I'm probably the only person who is actually pondering this, but...doesn't this contradict the origin stories we've been given previously in the comic?

~smiles~ Maybe, but in this case, who cares? I don't!

Warren Dew
2009-04-09, 11:14 PM

I don't think so. The stickverse gods created their world "in the (modified) image of" the original D&D world, whether they know it or now.

Kareasint
2009-04-09, 11:21 PM
To Dave and Gary for giving us the ability to let our imaginations run wild.

Nice tribute, Giant.

amanamana
2009-04-09, 11:34 PM
Wow... those things just don't wait. It feels like just a few days since I heard Gigax was dead. And now this.
Nice homage, Giant.
The world is a bit less interesting now.

harami2000
2009-04-09, 11:34 PM
To the guy that comments about the contradiction: that information is in the secret lore of the Sapphire Guard. This is a comparatively generic fairy tale.

Who cares if it is true?
All this happened, more or less...

Well, generic fairy tales and reality/history are blurred in both the OotS-verse and IRL, perhaps? :)

Very sweet, cleverly-conceived yet low-key tribute, Rich: much appreciated and well timed; both IRL and in the context of the strip.
(So many unsung heroes to go with unsung legends, too, but we'll raise a glass to those as well, in our own ways...).

aside: Greg Swenson/The Great Svenny from the original Blackmoor campaign players (http://blackmoor.mystara.us/originalp.html) appreciated that tribute, too (http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=blackmoor&action=display&thread=2040&page=1#28522):

That was neat. ... It really gets the idea across about what changed in Dave's basement back in 1971 when Dave was first putting this together...

Thank you, once again,
David.

Berserk Monk
2009-04-09, 11:37 PM
You know, I was expecting another tribute after Gary Gygax's death, but I wasn't expecting the crayon drawing style. I was thinking more Dave Arneson appearing before Roy like last time. Still, this was great. Daigo: so I could have been an entire platoon and made like 50 attacks per round! I do hope at some point Rich shows Gygax and Arneson in Celestia playing a game with Roy. If not in the online strips, then as a bonus comic in one of the books.

chiasaur11
2009-04-09, 11:46 PM
Daigo's right you know.

Being a one man battalion would be awesome.

Also:

RIP Dave.

Blaznak
2009-04-09, 11:47 PM
I got the chance to meet Dave on more than a few occasions. I always found him to be a real nice guy, liking to hear stories from gamers and tell more than one of his own.

He was a semi-regular at Our Local Hobby Shop, showing up on game days, etc. The last time I saw him was in January. He looked very tired then, but happy to be around friends and fans.

Nice tribute, Rich!

Aaron
2009-04-09, 11:49 PM
Great Tribute!!! Thank you Mr. Arneson. Hope you have a good life in the Celestial Realm.:smallbiggrin:

Its nice to see the crayon drawings back in action. Elan really likes them.

The Minx
2009-04-09, 11:52 PM
R.I.P. So soon after Gygax too. :smallfrown:

Memorial strips are not canonical, are they? :smallwink:

Pyron
2009-04-09, 11:54 PM
This was a touching tribute.

Also, the Book of Odad was a nice touch :smallsmile:

RIP Dave

dbat19
2009-04-09, 11:59 PM
This was a touching tribute.

Also, the Book of Odad was a nice touch :smallsmile:

RIP Dave

so, is "the book of Odad" actually a spolier?

Morgan Wick
2009-04-10, 12:01 AM
I can't help but wonder if this strip might have modified Rich's original plans substantially. I can't imagine his original plans were for V to spend one moment yelling "SHUT UP!" while his voices were telling her to "KILL! KILL!" and then the next strip begins with a cutaway to Greysky City (certainly not with only one to three panels of V deciding to teleport off, especially since the most logical thing to do then would be to keep the focus on Kazumi and Daigo and their reaction, which means there'd be little reason not to include that sequence in this strip anyway). I'd be shocked if there weren't at least one bonus strip between 643 and 644 when the book is collected. Hopefully this didn't completely foul up the plot.
I see one of three possibilities for #645:
*Stay with Kazumi and Daigo for one more strip, perhaps with one of them (probably Daigo) having to explain to someone else (probably Hinjo) what happened, and their reaction which will set up a plot thread for the next book. Also mostly to justify staying with Kazumi and Daigo in the first place.
*One strip of the reunion between each half of the OOTS before V shows up in 646, 647 at the latest (648 at the latest when combined with the first option).
*V beats Durkon and Elan to Greysky City, and meets with Haley first. As this provides two chances for OOTS members to be shocked by V's new look and thus two chances for a spliced soul to escape, it might be more likely than the second approach.
Optionally, Rich plans to swerve us and have V take on Xykon or something, but even by uber-V's standards that makes little sense.

Phexar
2009-04-10, 12:03 AM
What a wonderful tribute. :smallsmile: Rest in Peace, Dave Arneson. And now both the creators of D&D, and the RPG genre itself, are gone... *sighs sadly* May they never leave our memories.

Squirrel_Token
2009-04-10, 12:13 AM
Truly, you are a gentleman, Giant. Every so often something happens that's so important that you've just got to stop and take notice, and I'm glad you did for a legend like Dave Arneson.

xyzzy
2009-04-10, 12:14 AM
That was an amazing tribute. Though the one who started all of this has passed, creativity and the ability to weave a captivating story through a few dice has not.

RIP Dave Arneson.

PostMortem
2009-04-10, 12:27 AM
That was a very nice tribute.

Capfalcon
2009-04-10, 12:30 AM
I really liked the crayons. It was nice to see them again.

Such a simple idea, that brought such happiness to the world.

Thanks so much, Dave.

rainbowjo
2009-04-10, 12:37 AM
Rest in Peace Dave Arneson, may we all bow our heads for 1D10 moments of silence to honor his passing.

factotum
2009-04-10, 12:43 AM
I guess the reserved place at Gary Gygax's celestial gaming table has just been filled...and the dice across the world have fallen silent, if only for a moment.

Selene
2009-04-10, 12:44 AM
That was really funny for a memorial tribute. Thanks to The Giant, and to Mr. Arneson.

X2
2009-04-10, 12:45 AM
:smallfrown: *sigh* So now what?

harami2000
2009-04-10, 12:57 AM

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D97FB24G0 , perhaps?
"The biggest thing about my dad's world is he wanted people to have fun in life," Weinhagen said. "I think we get distracted by the everyday things you have to do in life and we forget to enjoy life and have fun".
...using the "f" word multiple times, just as in the current strip. Dunno for sure, but guess that could be construed as a gentle hint to us all...? :smallsmile:

Regards,
d.

David Argall
2009-04-10, 01:02 AM

No. The earlier crayon strips were merely of local history. This one is of a wider, and earlier, history.

We lose the two big names within a year, and at no great age. Do you suppose our game is a health hazard?

I note those eager to have V evilly slaughter people are once again disappointed.

Selene
2009-04-10, 01:05 AM
I note those eager to have V evilly slaughter people are once again disappointed.

That does happen a lot, doesn't it?

TamLin
2009-04-10, 01:15 AM
It's nice that someone out there recognizes that D&D wouldn't exist if it weren't for Dave Arneson's epiphany.

Tharianor
2009-04-10, 01:27 AM
I bow my head to te One responsable for our fun!
To Dave Arneson!:smallfrown:
I like to think that Dave and Gary look upon us from their playtable!

I olso liked the crayons.

Yendor
2009-04-10, 01:30 AM
I think the nice scary elf has fulfilled her evil slaughter quota for today. Now it's off to rub it in Belkar's face. "How many dragons have you callously killed today, halfling? None? I thought as much!"

Tobimaro
2009-04-10, 01:44 AM
No. The earlier crayon strips were merely of local history. This one is of a wider, and earlier, history.

We lose the two big names within a year, and at no great age. Do you suppose our game is a health hazard?

Well, we do tend to sit around tables more than normal (outside of power-meeting types). And I am not too disappointed with V not doing anything. Besides, there is always next strip. My guess is that V is acting more out of frustration than anything else. V has done this in the past. In fact, I feel it was why V went away from the fleet. (And got V into trouble.) :smallamused:

Dacia Brabant
2009-04-10, 01:45 AM

That thought crossed my mind as well, but I don't think it's the game necessarily but the sedentary and somewhat detached lifestyle that often goes with it that's the culprit. And the soda and junk food popular at gaming tables too.

And yet my old fitness-crazed jock of a boss died of a heart attack at the same age, so who really knows.

Regardless, a highly fitting tribute you have there Mr. Burlew, thanks for that, and thank you Mr. Arneson for all you did.

Killer Angel
2009-04-10, 01:50 AM
Thanx a lot, Giant.
This is a fairytale i'll like to tell my daughters.

Vemynal
2009-04-10, 02:03 AM
awwww, that was a cute tribute comic^^

tomaO2
2009-04-10, 02:07 AM
This is a great tribute, Giant. I love how you wove these page-long memorials for both men so well into the story itself. So much so that I am unsure why you felt the need to give an apologetic tone, when the forums were down, to the readers for having written it. If you hadn't told us in the comic page itself that it was a tribute, a reader could actually think that it was a regular update. Normally, a writer would make a bit splash page that doesn't really fit into the story at all. I'm really impressed how you didn't go down that route.

The occasional non-sequitur is a nice touch anyway. This page, in particular, kind of reminds me of the kobloid that figured out how to profit from the hydra who's heads kept growing back. Only it was a story rather then a quick joke. I think there would be a favorable reaction if you did this sort of short side story again, whether or not anyone died.

Speaking of non-sequitur, when do we get another Q and A session with OOTS? We've only ever had one. Or was it two? Anyway, we haven't had one for a long time.

PS. Since I am on the subject anyway. What was the deal with the movie refreshments doing battle with each other? That was wierd. Funny, but weird. I never understood where the inspiration for that page came from.

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-10, 02:09 AM
I think there were 2, Toma. Ironically, working out too much ma have caused your old bosses heart attack, Scylfing (it may have been an inherited problem whichwasn't detected as well).

Xondoure
2009-04-10, 02:39 AM
and know life goes on... I need to play some first edition now.

Stormwolf
2009-04-10, 02:43 AM
Thanks for writing something from the Book of Odad (otherwise known as Original Dungeons and Dragons?). :) I still have my Men & Magic and Monsters & Treasure books somewhere... the box disintegrated many years ago though.

Tundar
2009-04-10, 02:44 AM
Thank you mr. Arneson. I guess now is the time for some DnD with Gygax.

Very nice tribute, Giant.

Niley
2009-04-10, 03:32 AM
*sigh* Buh-bye, Dave. Everyone's gonna miss you. Damn, Gygax and Arneson gone! Just can't believe it.

...Maybe it's time to try Blackmoor?

DwarvenExodus
2009-04-10, 03:48 AM
I don't know much about Blackmoor or 1st edition, but I am just one of many saying thank you.

RIP, Dave.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-10, 04:26 AM
For purpose had yet to be invented (Sigh):smallbiggrin:

So long, fare well and good voyage sir.

BlueWizard
2009-04-10, 04:26 AM
I loved when Arneson slowly released that which he called Blackmoor.
I wanted to see the newer book, but haven't got the chance.

Adeptus
2009-04-10, 05:04 AM
R.I.P. Mr Arneson.

Mystral
2009-04-10, 05:14 AM
{Scrubbed}

Taekwondodo
2009-04-10, 05:18 AM
Nice tribute comic.
Liked the return to crayon.

BlueWizard
2009-04-10, 05:55 AM
{Scrubbed}

Blasphemer! They must be honored so!

pendell
2009-04-10, 05:57 AM
What a wonderful tribute. :smallsmile: Rest in Peace, Dave Arneson. And now both the creators of D&D, and the RPG genre itself, are gone... *sighs sadly* May they never leave our memories.

QFT. Another legend, gone. May he rest in peace. And may new makers of legends step up to fill those big, big shoes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Athaniar
2009-04-10, 05:57 AM
The creators of the Game may be gone, but their work lives on in the hearts of all those who play it, and its many variants.

RIP Dave Arneson

rxmd
2009-04-10, 07:08 AM
Wow... those things just don't wait. It feels like just a few days since I heard Gigax was dead. And now this.

Yeah, I hope this doesn't mean bad forebodings for folk like Dave Wesely and MAR Barker.

otakuryoga
2009-04-10, 07:22 AM
:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::s mallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:

sad day again

but as for the comic....i believe Daigo was about to say "grapple attacks" in the final panel....so you others(including Kazumi) need to get your minds out of the gutter :smallwink:

NeonRonin
2009-04-10, 07:26 AM
God bless you, Dave Arneson. You did so much for so many people in the gaming community, and will be deeply missed. :smallfrown:

bluedolphin359
2009-04-10, 07:48 AM
R.I.P Dave Arneson

EllysW
2009-04-10, 08:26 AM
What a lovely tribute comic; thanks. And while the note on the news page suggested that not much notice would be taken -- no AP obituary, I believe Rich suggested -- I did see that Mr. Arneson's death made it to the Yahoo main page this morning. So people notice, after all, which is a good although sad thing.

Rotipher
2009-04-10, 08:32 AM
Thanks for writing something from the Book of Odad (otherwise known as Original Dungeons and Dragons?). :)

"OD&D" is the usual abbreviation for the Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters series of D&D rules, which (along with Classic D&D and Blackmoor) were Dave Arneson's baby. These were published for years alongside AD&D (which was Gary Gygax's creation), and several of Dave's rule concepts eventually became a part of 3E.

Fare well, Mr. Arneson. Gary might've made this stuff a business, but you made it a dream.

Swordguy
2009-04-10, 08:50 AM
Thank you, Giant.

Assassin89
2009-04-10, 08:50 AM
Dave Arneson will be missed, just as Gygax has. The book refers to a tale that predates the twelve gods and the snarl. Quite an interesting shift of medium, as crayons are a nice change.

KIDS
2009-04-10, 08:57 AM
Very nice, thanks for doing this little tribute.

Falgorn
2009-04-10, 09:01 AM
Thanks for everything, Dave. We'll miss you.

whitemane
2009-04-10, 09:20 AM
Let's all cremate a d20 in Daves honor so he will have his choice of dice in the next world.... Good luck on your next great adventure, Dave!

Glome
2009-04-10, 09:22 AM
While it sad to see first Gygax and now Dave Arneson pass away, I'm amazed these memorial strips were able to be worked so well into the existing OOTS narrative.

The Blackbird
2009-04-10, 09:57 AM
Thank you Mr.Burlew.

RIP Dave.:smallfrown:

EDIT:
Preparing the 21 dice salute.

*Roll* 16
*Roll* 8
*Roll* 19
*Roll* 3
*Roll* 10
*Roll* 18
*Roll* 3
*Roll* 14
*Roll* 15
*Roll* 11
*Roll* 14
*Roll* 2
*Roll* 10
*Roll* 12
*Roll* 19
*Roll* 8
*Roll* 14
*Roll* 15
*Roll* 19
*Roll* 15
*Roll* 6

No 1's...Perfect.

kamuishirou
2009-04-10, 10:14 AM
Well done Giant...well done.

seanearlyaug
2009-04-10, 10:24 AM
Wonderful tribute. Yes he deserved it.

I wanted to find the prior one, even though I had read it.
FYI:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Sean

Dagren
2009-04-10, 10:24 AM
The world is a bit less interesting now.I wouldn't be so sure. That's what the word "Legacy" is for.

Logalmier
2009-04-10, 11:21 AM
*sniff* Such a touching tribute.:smallfrown:

Let's all cremate a d20 in Daves honor so he will have his choice of dice in the next world.... Good luck on your next great adventure, Dave!

I tried, but none of my dice would burn. On the plus side they are now very sticky, and smell like burnt plastic.

the_tick_rules
2009-04-10, 11:43 AM
He never achieved the name recognition of Gygax, but still was a founder of the industry. We all owe him thanks. I like the unit to single/unit talk, reminds me of warhammer people I know.

Starscream
2009-04-10, 12:00 PM
Thank you, Giant. This and the Gygax tribute last year have been wonderful celebrations of two people without whom none of us would ever know the wonderful clatter of a twelve sided die.

whitemane
2009-04-10, 02:27 PM
The more I've thought about it, the more I've thought that what I posted earlier was woefully inadequate. That having been said, I'm reposting something that I posted when Gary Gygax died last year to express my feelings on the passing of Mr. Arneson...

"I remember when I first started playing in 1982 when I was 12 years old. I remember holding fast to my D&D books when that big hysteria regarding D&D and churches denouncing it was popular. I remember my father wanting to buy my books from me so he could destroy them, and me steadfastly refusing, telling him that he didn't understand and it wasn't what everyone said. I remember writing a letter to the editor of the local paper denouncing an article that was critical of D&D and saying that the people that denounced D&D had never actually seen a game of it being played. I remember getting hate mail because of that letter to the editor.

It's 25 years later, and D&D has been with me longer than most of the friends in my life. When I joined the Air Force and moved to a new city, I didn't have any friends in the area, but all I had to do to find new friends was post a "gaming group wanted" notice in the local gaming store. I truly believe that D&D has helped make me a better person, and a more critical thinker.

Mr. Arneson, you have made a difference in my life, and the lives of countless others. You have left your mark on the world, and in the hearts of millions. May God bless you and watch over your family."

TheBST
2009-04-10, 02:37 PM
Not a player, but sorry for you loss, D&D community.

rainbowjo
2009-04-10, 02:41 PM
Thank you, Giant. This and the Gygax tribute last year have been wonderful celebrations of two people without whom none of us would ever know the wonderful clatter of a twelve sided die.

I think quite a few of us still don't know that sound.

Doug Lampert
2009-04-10, 02:49 PM
I don't know much about Blackmoor or 1st edition, but I am just one of many saying thank you.

Original D&D is/was not first edition. The original game came out in 1974, AD&D (first edition) came out between '77 and '79, basic set came out in '77.

CGM3
2009-04-10, 02:52 PM

What any true gamer does; roll up a new character and get back into the campaign! :smallsmile:

Dave Arneson may have left us, but his legacy remains so long as we scribble stats on our character sheets and roll dice to do battle with fearsome foes.

Doug Lampert
2009-04-10, 02:53 PM
"OD&D" is the usual abbreviation for the Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters series of D&D rules, which (along with Classic D&D and Blackmoor) were Dave Arneson's baby. These were published for years alongside AD&D (which was Gary Gygax's creation), and several of Dave's rule concepts eventually became a part of 3E.

Fare well, Mr. Arneson. Gary might've made this stuff a business, but you made it a dream.

A lot of people use it that way, but OD&D is supposed to be short for ORIGINAL D&D, and the basic/expert/companion/masters series isn't the original game. The original game was called D&D, it came in three booklets called Men and Magic, Monsters and Treasure, and Wilderness adventures, it had supplements called Greyhawk, Blackmore, Eldrich Wizardry, and Gods, Demigods, and Heroes.

Pip
2009-04-10, 03:01 PM
Nice tribute Giant.

And in case it hasn't been said, AP has picked up on this.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/09/national/a221100D63.DTL&tsp=1

-- edit --

And so has CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/04/10/obit.david.lance.arneson/index.html

BillyJimBoBob
2009-04-10, 05:17 PM
Power Word: Mourn

The Blackbird
2009-04-10, 05:51 PM
The more I've thought about it, the more I've thought that what I posted earlier was woefully inadequate. That having been said, I'm reposting something that I posted when Gary Gygax died last year to express my feelings on the passing of Mr. Arneson...

"I remember when I first started playing in 1982 when I was 12 years old. I remember holding fast to my D&D books when that big hysteria regarding D&D and churches denouncing it was popular. I remember my father wanting to buy my books from me so he could destroy them, and me steadfastly refusing, telling him that he didn't understand and it wasn't what everyone said. I remember writing a letter to the editor of the local paper denouncing an article that was critical of D&D and saying that the people that denounced D&D had never actually seen a game of it being played. I remember getting hate mail because of that letter to the editor.

It's 25 years later, and D&D has been with me longer than most of the friends in my life. When I joined the Air Force and moved to a new city, I didn't have any friends in the area, but all I had to do to find new friends was post a "gaming group wanted" notice in the local gaming store. I truly believe that D&D has helped make me a better person, and a more critical thinker.

Mr. Arneson, you have made a difference in my life, and the lives of countless others. You have left your mark on the world, and in the hearts of millions. May God bless you and watch over your family."

That was beautiful.

Power Word: Mourn You didn't need the Power Word spell I would have failed my save anyways.

JonestheSpy
2009-04-10, 09:18 PM
Great tribute. Thank you.

as a side note, it's been very cool to see that dave's passing has made it into the mainstream news- I was kinda afraid he'd go unnoticed by the mainstream world.

Silverraptor
2009-04-10, 11:07 PM
I had trouble logging in for a day and a half. Then when I finally fixed it, the forum got shut down, literally seconds after I fixed it. So I was really annoyed for a while. Perfect timing by the way Rich!

Then... I read the tribute comic. I can't believe that book 4 has now 2 tributes in it over people who helped start many RPG's. I understand how important this guy is, even though I never heard of him before now. As the comic says, he started the whole, "Create your own world and watch people try to live in it" craze. Considering my entire DND group has a total of no less than 18 worlds swimming around in our folders(And I was just guessing safe by choosing a low number), I salute you
:smallcool:Dave Arneson:smallcool:

wojonatior
2009-04-10, 11:58 PM
Great tribute. I give it 8 Cthulhu tentacles up.

Roderick_BR
2009-04-11, 12:27 AM
Nice one, Rich. Here's one to another great games designer.

factotum
2009-04-11, 01:19 AM
BBC has finally woken up and noticed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7994444.stm

Only about two days late, but hey, that's pretty good going for them!

Tharianor
2009-04-11, 02:22 AM
BBC has finally woken up and noticed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7994444.stm

Only about two days late, but hey, that's pretty good going for them!

I wish also Italian television news did it, IICS they don't!

RebelRogue
2009-04-11, 04:35 AM
A beautiful tribute, Giant, and a well-deserved one!

Selene
2009-04-11, 05:21 AM
I remember getting hate mail because of that letter to the editor.

Damn, people sent hate mail to a kid?? I'm about the same age as you, and I remember the hysteria, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me. And yet... :smallfrown:

Makes you wonder how much hate mail people like Dave and Gary used to get. And how much they went through to share their visions. I thank them both again.

Jabberwocky
2009-04-11, 06:47 AM
A wonderful tribute, Giant, thank you. And thank you, Dave, for all the fun! RIP

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 07:11 AM
Thank you Dave Arneson.

And thanks Mr. Burlew for immortalizing him in your cartoon.

Starknight
2009-04-11, 08:28 AM
I saw that the new comic was up and I started reading. I did not read the news note before hand. I was laughing so hard. then I saw the last panel. This was a very touching tribute. Thank you Giant.

Starkight

HandofShadows
2009-04-11, 08:46 AM
Nice and informative tribute. Thank you.

Yiuel
2009-04-11, 10:29 AM
Great tribute, as usual* :)

* Okay, it's the second one, but still...

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-11, 10:30 AM
* Okay, it's the second one, but still...

2/2 is still 100%

David Argall
2009-04-11, 01:35 PM
The L.A. Times gave him some space today.

Thorin
2009-04-11, 03:00 PM
May his soul rest in peace.
May his legacy be eternal.
May all of us be a little more like him.

Wherever you are, you won´t be forgotten

PS: Love the comic, really touching

Apoc Golem
2009-04-11, 03:25 PM
Would that I had the skill of Mr. Burlew in my relevant field, I would send up a tribute of my own. Sadly, I do not. Thanks for doing what I couldn't, and with pinache and utmost respect.

If my friends Ryan and Julian hadn't placed a 2nd edition PHB in front of me nine years ago, I don't know where I would be right now. Certainly much of my life would have had a great deal less color, and my imagination would be significantly dimmer. This game has allowed me to grow creatively in innumerable ways, and has given me countless fond memories to cherish to my passing day.

Without Gary or Dave, there would be no Iron Twig, summoning fell beasts to his aid and causing hilarious disasters with a cursed spellbook.

There would have been no Mongoloid archers.

There would have been no random calls at 2 in the morning from our DM yelling "Saving Throw vs. Death!" into the phone. (Actually, in retrospect, I could have lived without that one.)

There would have been no Galus, the spineless fighter who was addicted to cave mold.

There would have been no Axl Blayde, pugilist savant, to save the fair elfmaiden who held his heart.

These are just my own experiences. Each of us have our own list of fond memories that we would be without, and each of us would be living a slightly darker life. The game they founded cannot be squelched by ignorant closed-minded groups of nutters, nor by greedy companies willing to tarnish their work and memories to increase their profits. The game is untouchable, because it is now seeded in each of us.

Rest in peace, Dave and Gary. We will continue to play for those who cannot.

AyuVince
2009-04-11, 03:50 PM
He joined the huge gaming table in the afterlife... I hope he plays a fun round of Temple of Elemental Evil with Gygax and other gamers who went too soon.

Fabuloso
2009-04-11, 05:45 PM
I wish also Italian television news did it, IICS they don't!

What did you expect? Roleplaying in Italy is like having the mark of the beast on one's forehead. In 15 meters tall (50 feet) neon letters, playing the complete Marilyn Manson discography at maximum volume.

Fawsto
2009-04-11, 11:11 PM
"He wanted people to have fun in life"

I am. And I owe you, Master Arneson, a great deal of my hours of fun. You are also responsible for a great deal of the man I am today.

His passing will be mourned and his work will be remembered. Master Arneson, I salute you!

imp_fireball
2009-04-12, 03:58 AM

... Not really. You see, there's universe and then there's METAverse. Each universe is created in its own preordained way from the greater metaverse.

In this case the OotS universe was created in a way that was already outlined in the origin stories given previously in the comic... like you said.

Also, I like how the Giant found a way to justify why there still isn't any proper rules for battlefields in d20 3e. :smalltongue:

It's all a spin-off!

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-04-12, 04:44 AM

NO! Don't egg the church on again, they might try and BAN D&D, and we will have to smuggle in book's and dice from Cuba, or Mexico!

On a more serious note, may we all pray with a d20 cluctched in are hands in the hopes that they will have enough dice for that big RPing session in the sky.

Selene
2009-04-12, 07:00 AM
I would send up a tribute of my own.

I think you just did. :smallwink: Well said.

Mr. Pin
2009-04-12, 12:19 PM
*sniff* :smallfrown:

Tharianor
2009-04-12, 01:54 PM
What did you expect? Roleplaying in Italy is like having the mark of the beast on one's forehead. In 15 meters tall (50 feet) neon letters, playing the complete Marilyn Manson discography at maximum volume.

So right Fabuloso! The only thing I found is this "article"! (http://www.ilmessaggero.it/articolo.php?id=54193&sez=HOME_SPETTACOLO)
Probably, as you say, if they talked abaut Dave Arneson's death on TV they would say something on roleplayers like "they spend night aroud a table playing with their strange dices, in their stranges worlds. Their organization is like tiny sects...blabla end bla..."

Dilvish
2009-04-12, 02:58 PM
Dave Arneson, this roleplayer and wargamer says thank you for everything. In the last few years I had several chances to meet you. Once I was only a few feet away at Mobicon. But I never did meet you. My loss.

The comic is a beautiful tribute. I also love how it neatly explains the OOTS universe. Somewhere in the OOTS world, there are ways to reach the original Blackmoor and Greyhawk.

Michael Lyons

Rotipher
2009-04-12, 04:57 PM
Heh. Now I can't help but think that it's right that Mr. Arneson didn't have another posthumous conversation with Roy, for his tribute strip. Why not? Because he was never as fixated on the rules as Mr. Gygax, so surely went to Elysium (NG) rather than Celestia (LG). :smallwink:

Volkov
2009-04-12, 05:18 PM
Why did he have to die. I miss you David, it's not fair that you have to die. First Douglas Adams, Then Gary Gygax years later, and in mere days Arthur C Clarke, and now David Arneson. Why did I have to live to see their deaths. :frown: I cried like a baby when I heard the news, I only felt good enough to post recently. I hope you like it up there in Elysium. I really do. Thank you for the game we play, for the life style we live, thank you for it all.

Saint Nil
2009-04-12, 09:39 PM
I'm just glad he got his own tribute.

R.I.P.

Scarlet Knight
2009-04-12, 09:54 PM
I'm just glad he got his own tribute.

I agree, and I want to compliment the Giant for doing it in a unique way. It would have been so easy to pop Mr. Arneson into the afterlife with Roy. But his contribution was unique, and Giant came up with a worthy comic.

BlueWizard
2009-04-13, 03:46 AM
I'm still trying to find Arneson's new book on Blackmoor.

Sotris
2009-04-13, 06:50 AM
The Good Guys always leave us too soon. Rest in peace, Dave Arneson.

On a more story-related note, Notice how the "nice scary elf" did the right thing this time (even if it was for the wrong reasons)? If a person is defined by their actions, maybe there's hope for poor V yet...

Volkov
2009-04-13, 07:27 AM
The Good Guys always leave us too soon. Rest in peace, Dave Arneson.

On a more story-related note, Notice how the "nice scary elf" did the right thing this time (even if it was for the wrong reasons)? If a person is defined by their actions, maybe there's hope for poor V yet...

There was hope for Darth Vader and that redemption only came during the very last hours, or even minutes of his life. Fallen heroes either get their redemption rather early on, not at all, or on their death-bed.

sassisa
2009-04-13, 10:44 AM
I admit I had to look up who Dave Arneson was, but was surprised to realize I had never heard of him. I grew up playing D&D, and when I told my dad that Dave died, he knew who he was and was able to spout off a few games. Wiki has a great bio on him, if anyone is interested! Thanks Rich for the wonderful comics and the crayons ;)

Zerg Cookie
2009-04-13, 04:17 PM
A great tribute for a great man

Sequinox
2009-04-13, 08:52 PM
Aww...

You will be missed, Dave.

For some reason, whereas Gary Gygax probably ended up ruling the Nine Hells (as many people here predicted) Dave, judging by what little I know about him, seems like that forest, peace place. (Elysium?)

Estelindis
2009-04-13, 08:55 PM
It's amazing the things one can take for granted. I had assumed that single-character roleplaying in a well-established campaign world was, of course, the logical way to game. I didn't realise that this gentleman had had such a pivotal role in making it so. Mr. Arneson influenced millions of lives for the better. Thank you for that, sir. And thank you, Giant, for the tribute.

Sequinox
2009-04-13, 08:56 PM
There was hope for Darth Vader and that redemption only came during the very last hours, or even minutes of his life. Fallen heroes either get their redemption rather early on, not at all, or on their death-bed.

Au contraire! I can think of TWO contradictions!

(Not sure how many people watched Battlestar Galactica... But...)

Caprica Six. She literally kills babies in the beginning, and by the end she's all, like... Not a bad person at all. And Gaius Baltar is another example of this. They wipe out the human race, and slowly are redeemed. Well, Baltar's still hated by some people, but I liked him more by the end.

Triforceelf
2009-04-14, 12:35 AM
Gone but not forgotten, the Legend will live on.

canterrain
2009-04-14, 01:14 AM
I really liked this tribute alot.

And he really was an unsung hero... I've played DnD for years and never knew who he was. I feel bad for not finding out before his passing on.

Although ... wow if I were a whole platoon....

Volkov
2009-04-14, 01:58 PM
Au contraire! I can think of TWO contradictions!

(Not sure how many people watched Battlestar Galactica... But...)

Caprica Six. She literally kills babies in the beginning, and by the end she's all, like... Not a bad person at all. And Gaius Baltar is another example of this. They wipe out the human race, and slowly are redeemed. Well, Baltar's still hated by some people, but I liked him more by the end.

I thought the Cylons wiped out mankind, and that they had alphanumeric identity tags, not names.

Shady_halfling
2009-04-14, 06:19 PM
tsk,tsk,tsk. Rich Burlew sure is slipping. i remember when these comics used 2 be about wacky dnd based humor. To horribly misquote a certain Benjamin Croshaw, there are so many unraveled loose ends at around the 600-point, then begins to tie them up with the efficiency of a obsessive compulsive man in a shoe lace factory.

EDIT: sorry i'm sort of referring to the current plot in the strip making a tribute comic is fine.

factotum
2009-04-15, 01:18 AM
tsk,tsk,tsk. Rich Burlew sure is slipping. i remember when these comics used 2 be about wacky dnd based humor.

Yes, I remember those times as well--it was about 450 strips ago. Why have you waited this long to make a complaint?

TreesOfDeath
2009-04-15, 04:11 AM
Heh the one man battalion thing reminded me of the guy who spent thousands on equipment to be able to control 30 pcs at once in WOW.
And yes, he was a fierce battalion....

Selene
2009-04-15, 05:52 AM
tsk,tsk,tsk. Rich Burlew sure is slipping. i remember when these comics used 2 be about wacky dnd based humor.

"wacky dnd based humor" = amusing
Start of Darkness = Greatness

Yay for Greatness! :smallcool: I'll take Greatness over wacky any day.

keldorn
2009-04-15, 05:57 AM
I've just logged on to join the chorus of applause for this tribute. Dave's daughter said that he juist wanted people to have fun and this makes the humour particularly appropriate.

TSED
2009-04-15, 11:37 AM
tsk,tsk,tsk. Rich Burlew sure is slipping. i remember when these comics used 2 be about wacky dnd based humor. To horribly misquote a certain Benjamin Croshaw, there are so many unraveled loose ends at around the 600-point, then begins to tie them up with the efficiency of a obsessive compulsive man in a shoe lace factory.

EDIT: sorry i'm sort of referring to the current plot in the strip making a tribute comic is fine.

Funny, back when it was nothing but wacky D&D based humour it was just another wacky D&D based humour comic.

Now it is something far, far greater.

I would never want to go back to the old days, to be honest.

Raith
2009-04-15, 12:00 PM
"wacky dnd based humor" = amusing
Start of Darkness = Greatness

Yay for Greatness! :smallcool: I'll take Greatness over wacky any day.

Amen to that! Everything changes over time. Somethings change for the worse, but some things change from good to even more good! Kudos to you, Rich.

Volkov
2009-04-15, 02:06 PM
i'm waiting for Rich to mock Abominations, Archomentals, Outsider lords, and Elder evils, as well as other epic level monsters.

The Eternal
2009-04-15, 02:49 PM
I liked the tribute comic, I thought it was a nice testament to Mr.Arneson. I'm just wondering when the new comic's gonna come out, it's been close to a week now hasn't it?