PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 forgotten realms help

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 03:16 AM
Basically fluff info. I am making a human Barbarian 2 rogue 2 character in a Cormyr starting area. I'm looking for information on Gypsy style nomads that I could have been a part of for my backstory. I would really prefer if the nomad group could have been a meshing of humans/elves/halflings.

Is there any type of thing in FR, anywhere near Cormyr?

hamishspence
2009-04-10, 03:48 AM
Races of Faerun- page 106: Human, Gur

They are "the nomads of the western heartlands" and are fairly close. Cormyr is a little to the east of that region, but is close enough to be feasible.

They are especially devoted to Savras, god of seers, and a believed to be responsible for his cult surviving in Faerun during the long time of his imprisonment.

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 04:03 AM
I read up a bit on them, what little there is. What is Savras and Tymoras stance on each other?

Neo
2009-04-10, 04:06 AM
As most of the Cormyr region is your typical fantasy setting your best bet is the Bedine nomads who live in the Anauroch desert to the north, they're your typical desert nomad types who raid or guide caravans through the desert, one such neighbouring region being Cormyr, if you're looking for a hook.

hamishspence
2009-04-10, 04:13 AM
No particular enmity or alliance between Tymora and Savras.

mostlyharmful
2009-04-10, 06:24 AM
There's also the traderoute costers that go through Cormyr to the Dales, Sembia and the Western Heartlands to avoid Anaouroch. Plenty of trading families existed in real medieval europe for generations based on similar traderoutes. The Gur from the Western Hearlands should go as far as Cormyr and the Sea of fallen stars, if they were able to establish a traderoute to the Dragon coast to the south of Cormyr it'd be crazy not to include the most stable (if not the richest) country in the area.

LibraryOgre
2009-04-10, 02:20 PM
I read up a bit on them, what little there is. What is Savras and Tymoras stance on each other?

While, as mentioned, there's no particular enmity, I think that they have, to an extent, opposing philosophies. Savras is about knowing what will happen. Tymora's is about not knowing, but making it useful anyway.

Harperfan7
2009-04-10, 08:22 PM
I think moon elves travel in nomadic bands, like elves from the MM, and I'm pretty sure lightfoot halflings do to, so take the Gur's and say they travel in a mixed band.

arguskos
2009-04-10, 08:27 PM
Savras: God of divination and knowing the future.
Tymora: Goddess of good fortune.

Really, they have no quarrel or care. However, it's reasonable to assume they are professional towards one another.

Savras' stance on Tymora: Silly woman, trusting fate when you can direct it.
Tymora's stance on Savras: Bah! No one can direct fate, since it goes where it will!

Probably a friendly disagreement, if a touch cold. Nothing worse.