PDA

View Full Version : The Divine Mind: I want to be cool when I grow up!

Zaq
2009-04-10, 03:58 AM
Ah, the Divine Mind. Truly, an exercise in "WHY?!" Well, I'm going to be sending one against my players soon (he'll have a small horde of underlings and he'll be working alongside a Marshal, so hopefully his passive buffing will do SOMETHING... yes, a bard does it better, way better, but I don't want him to be a bard for story reasons), and I'm accepting suggestions about what would make him memorable or interesting. I'm thinking he'll be level 6, maybe 7 if there's a compelling reason for it, and while he won't be the biggest character on the field, he's supposed to have a decent bit of presence. What would you do to make him more than just essentially an ongoing effect? What can a Divine Mind do that's actually interesting or memorable? Any ideas at all?

Chronos
2009-04-10, 12:24 PM
A couple of alternate suggestions: First, if you just want something with auras, you might also consider Dragon Shaman, from PHB II. By level 6, he'll also have a breath weapon in addition to his auras, which you can use with Entangling Exhalation or various metabreath feats.

Second, if you want a bard that doesn't feel like a bard, you could have him use Perform (oratory) instead of the more traditional Sing or String Instruments. This is basically how a marshal works, anyway (the aura descriptions say that his allies need to hear him speak), and unless you come out and tell your players "This guy is a Marshal 6 and the other guy is a Bard 6", they won't be able to tell the difference.

Zaq
2009-04-10, 12:31 PM
Thanks, but I'm already matching him with a marshal and a dragon shaman, so those bases are covered. A bard simply doesn't fit the story (all arcanists, bards included, are... different in my campaign), and a divine mind is way sillier anyway, and this is a halfway joke encounter, so...

Holy crap. I just said that a divine mind, who just uses their sheer force of belief and will to empower their allies, is sillier than a bard, the master of COMBAT SINGING. And I MEANT it.

I love D&D.

Kris Strife
2009-04-10, 09:39 PM
a divine mind, who just uses their sheer force of belief and will to empower their allies

Um... So... Spiral Power?

Lycanthromancer
2009-04-10, 10:03 PM
What, no thoughtsinger?

Andras
2009-04-10, 10:15 PM
Um... So... Spiral Power?

Your psicrystal will be the one to pierce the heavens!

Kris Strife
2009-04-10, 11:37 PM
Your psicrystal will be the one to pierce the heavens!

Fluff it as being drill shaped, give him a huge golem head with arms and legs, bam! Simone. Kamina would be a bard with max ranks in perform (oratory), a cloak of Charisma, a masterwork bastard sword and even bigger giant golem head.

Flickerdart
2009-04-11, 10:09 AM
Fluff it as being drill shaped, give him a huge golem head with arms and legs, bam! Simone. Kamina would be a bard with max ranks in perform (oratory), a cloak of Charisma, a masterwork bastard sword and even bigger giant golem head.
Or a Warblade with the Scarlet Bravura (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101008) homebrew discipline, courtesy of The Demented One.