PDA

View Full Version : Monk running accross water alternate class feature

SlyJohnny
2009-04-10, 06:33 AM
I have a vague memory of an alternate class feature for monks that afforded them a limited ability to run across water, in place of Slow Fall. I can't find out where I saw this and it may have just been somebodies homebrew on this board.

Anyone else remember this?

mostlyharmful
2009-04-10, 06:48 AM
In stormwrack I believe, it also had an alternate for underwater campaigns of increased swim speed.

Person_Man
2009-04-10, 08:35 AM
I also think you'll find that many DMs are fine with just giving Monks extra abilities, especially at any of their deadish levels (8, 10, 14, 16, 19).

Tengu_temp
2009-04-10, 10:09 AM
I also think you'll find that many DMs are fine with just giving Monks extra abilities, especially at any of their deadish levels (8, 10, 14, 16, 19).

Yeah - it's not that this will suddenly make them overpowered.

elliott20
2009-04-10, 10:12 AM
wait, you mean monks couldn't do this before?

wow, and to think all these years I just make them roll really high balance checks or just outright give it to them for coolness points....

AmberVael
2009-04-10, 10:57 AM
wait, you mean monks couldn't do this before?

wow, and to think all these years I just make them roll really high balance checks or just outright give it to them for coolness points....

Well, I mean, if you go by the epic rules...
They can... at a DC 90 balance check. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#balance)

archmage45
2009-04-10, 11:50 AM
I have a vague memory of an alternate class feature for monks that afforded them a limited ability to run across water, in place of Slow Fall. I can't find out where I saw this and it may have just been somebodies homebrew on this board.

Anyone else remember this?

I can't say I remember it myself, and I don't have Stormwrack to check it, but really, Rule of Cool. This isn't exactly a game breaking thing. Keep it simple, you have to move your maximum speed, and be unencumbered. At level 10 you can do it while encumbered, and move half your maximum speed. As a DM I'd just give that to you.

Shpadoinkle
2009-04-10, 12:26 PM
Considering what monks get... yeah, I'd say this is a pretty reasonable addition to a monk's abilities. I'd give it at level 8, but rule you have to run the whole way though, so no jumping off a ship, ON to the water, THEN running accross it, and if you stop at all you immediately sink and have to swim from there.

At a higher level (say 14), I'd allow it to be used with a normal or double move instead of having to run, and you CAN jump off a ship or something, then move accross water, but you still can't stop completely for more than one action, or else you sink.

DarknessLord
2009-04-10, 01:01 PM
Well, I mean, if you go by the epic rules...
They can... at a DC 90 balance check. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#balance)

DC 95 (or DC 90 with a -5 penlty actually) plus you have to make the check for each multiple of your speed you move...
That's pure RAW though, I'd probably rule that in this case, running means less contact with the water and makes it easier then just standing there...
But I also think just adding the class feature to monks without making them lose anything is just fine too...

ericgrau
2009-04-10, 05:59 PM
Any mobility skill fits the monk well, since your movement while using any of them is a function of your speed (though sometimes it's halved or quartered).

On the topic of handing out epic skills, you might as well add climbing at full speed, squeezing through a space smaller than you are (escape artist), peform sleight of hand on halflings, swim up waterfalls, stand up as a free action (tumble), wall jump (tumble).

This doesn't apply to monks, but my favorite was teaching animals tricks in 1 minute by adding +100 to the handle animal DC. Remember animals can only know 6 tricks, and new ones replace the old. "You, stabled warhorses, you are no longer trained for combat. From now on you will perform puppy tricks, track, seek, guard, pull heavy loads and fetch on command. <Runs around corner, spies on bewildered knights>."

Berserk Monk
2009-04-10, 06:57 PM
Just put enough ranks into swim so by the time you're epic level you can literally swim up a waterfall.