PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Can anyone help me with a race I want to make?

Myou
2009-04-10, 12:35 PM
I'm trying to make a new race that a player requested and that I liked the idea of, but I'm pretty stumped as to how to do it.

I'm trying to make an LA 0 race that's balanced with these races; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107994

The race is a race of sentient oozes that take humanoid form, looking like partially transparent monochrome humans, with about the same consitency as humans, but with the ability to soften parts (or all) of their body into a gooey blob-like form that can squeeze through small spaces and the like.

So, how should I make them mechanically?

I was thinking that they'd have something like +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Wis, but since Str and Dex together are powerful I'm not sure that it'd be balanced (maybe -2 str would balance it?) and I have no idea how to translate their ability to turn into a gooey blob into a game mechanic.

Edit: Oh, I also can't think of a name I like.

Neithan
2009-04-10, 12:48 PM
To get it LA 0 will get really tricky.

Making the creature type ooze is probably much to complex and powerful, but aberration would also work quite well, I think. It only grants darkvision and makes the character unaffected by magical effects that only work on humanoids.

Lappy9000
2009-04-10, 01:15 PM
I'm trying to make a new race that a player requested and that I liked the idea of, but I'm pretty stumped as to how to do it.

I'm trying to make an LA 0 race that's balanced with these races; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107994

The race is a race of sentient oozes that take humanoid form, looking like partially transparent monochrome humans, with about the same consitency as humans, but with the ability to soften parts (or all) of their body into a gooey blob-like form that can squeeze through small spaces and the like.

So, how should I make them mechanically?

I was thinking that they'd have something like +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Wis, but since Str and Dex together are powerful I'm not sure that it'd be balanced (maybe -2 str would balance it?) and I have no idea how to translate their ability to turn into a gooey blob into a game mechanic.

Edit: Oh, I also can't think of a name I like.Someone did an awesome ooze-type race a long time ago. Give me an hour or two and I'll see if I can dig it up for ya :smallsmile:

Myou
2009-04-10, 01:21 PM
To get it LA 0 will get really tricky.

Making the creature type ooze is probably much to complex and powerful, but aberration would also work quite well, I think. It only grants darkvision and makes the character unaffected by magical effects that only work on humanoids.

Well, I was thinking that it doesn't need to have all the abilities other oozes have, like how Warforged don't get all the benefits other constructs do. :3

Someone did an awesome ooze-type race a long time ago. Give me an hour or two and I'll see if I can dig it up for ya :smallsmile:

Oh, excellent, thank you! ^_^

ericgrau
2009-04-10, 02:55 PM
I'd give the race a +8 to all escape artist checks, and the ability to take a 10 even when threatened or distracted. Furthermore, the width of his "head" for the purpose of squeezing through a tight space is 1 inch, and mundane ropes and manacles automatically fail to restrain him. I'd give him DR 5/slashing (so bludgeoning and piercing weapons are less effective) and consider reducing his ability score bonuses to compensate for all this. Maybe only give him one + and one -, instead of 2 +'s. Maybe he lacks grace and gets a -2 to dex but gets a +2 to something else. The DR already gives some toughness, so maybe not con but something else.

Some good applications of escape artist are squeezing through tight spaces, escaping a grapple, escaping an animated rope, entangle, or other such spell.

RandomFellow
2009-04-10, 03:54 PM
Sentient Ooze
* Type: Ooze
* Sentient Ooze: Sentient Oozes are not mindless like other Oozes.
* Blind, with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
* Almost Deaf, sentient Oozes cannot make Listen checks or hear anyone unless they are within 30' of them.
* Blindsight 30'
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
* Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
* Proficient with its natural weapons only.
* Proficient with no armor.
* Oozes eat and breathe, but do not sleep.

My two cents. They may be immune to alot...but they can't see or hear anything beyond 30'. This means if your 60' away, you can unleash hell and they can't find you.

Maldraugedhen
2009-04-10, 04:04 PM
If you're really hurting for balancers on the negative side (or simply don't want to use some of those already suggested), you could have individuals of this race have a weakness to fire (flammable ooze?), or have them suffer Constitution penalties when in direct contact with the Universal Solvent (water, and scale the penalty with the degree of exposure--a splash / other high degree of surface contact = -2, immersion = -4, rain = negligible or give flavor penalties).

Just some more suggestions to consider.

Lappy9000
2009-04-10, 11:55 PM
Sorry it took so long.

The Globbles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62986&highlight=Ooze+Race)

Fantastically made ooze race with a fairly balanced +1 LA. However, I bet you could bump them down to a +0 LA if you take out the Natural Optimism, the +2 Charisma, and the Slam attack.

Myou
2009-04-11, 05:25 AM
I'd give the race a +8 to all escape artist checks, and the ability to take a 10 even when threatened or distracted. Furthermore, the width of his "head" for the purpose of squeezing through a tight space is 1 inch, and mundane ropes and manacles automatically fail to restrain him. I'd give him DR 5/slashing (so bludgeoning and piercing weapons are less effective) and consider reducing his ability score bonuses to compensate for all this. Maybe only give him one + and one -, instead of 2 +'s. Maybe he lacks grace and gets a -2 to dex but gets a +2 to something else. The DR already gives some toughness, so maybe not con but something else.

Some good applications of escape artist are squeezing through tight spaces, escaping a grapple, escaping an animated rope, entangle, or other such spell.

Sentient Ooze
* Type: Ooze
* Sentient Ooze: Sentient Oozes are not mindless like other Oozes.
* Blind, with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
* Almost Deaf, sentient Oozes cannot make Listen checks or hear anyone unless they are within 30' of them.
* Blindsight 30'
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
* Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
* Proficient with its natural weapons only.
* Proficient with no armor.
* Oozes eat and breathe, but do not sleep.

My two cents. They may be immune to alot...but they can't see or hear anything beyond 30'. This means if your 60' away, you can unleash hell and they can't find you.

If you're really hurting for balancers on the negative side (or simply don't want to use some of those already suggested), you could have individuals of this race have a weakness to fire (flammable ooze?), or have them suffer Constitution penalties when in direct contact with the Universal Solvent (water, and scale the penalty with the degree of exposure--a splash / other high degree of surface contact = -2, immersion = -4, rain = negligible or give flavor penalties).

Just some more suggestions to consider.

Sorry it took so long.

The Globbles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62986&highlight=Ooze+Race)

Fantastically made ooze race with a fairly balanced +1 LA. However, I bet you could bump them down to a +0 LA if you take out the Natural Optimism, the +2 Charisma, and the Slam attack.

Many, many thanks to you all, these are some really great ideas!

Here's what I've got now, what do you all think?

[I still need a name]
Type: Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
Size: Medium
Base Speed: 20ft
Automatic Languages: Common
Traits;
DR 5/-
[Name] take double damage from all damaging elemental attacks, spells and effects
[Name] are unable to wear any type of armour
Ability to breathe both water and air
[Name] gain a +8 bonus to all escape artist checks, and the ability to take a 10 even when threatened or distracted
Their 'width' is considered 1 inch for the purposes of squeezing through tight spaces.
Immunity to poison, paralysis, and polymorph.
Not subject to critical hits or precision damage.
+2 Dex, -2 Str
Aging;
Adulthood: 60
Middle Age: 120
Old Age: 180
Venerable Age: 240
Maximum Age: +2d60

ericgrau
2009-04-11, 09:39 AM
Seems mostly balanced, and makes sense. They have a lot of abilities, but almost all of them are heavily situational and they're behind on 1 +2 so it works out. DR 5/- seems a bit too situationally powerful, especially at low levels. It'll be hard for anything martial to be much threat at all, and some encounters are all martial. If it's gonna be /-, then I'd drop it to 3/-. Likewise taking double damage against elemental attacks seems like too much of a situational disadvantage, possibly causing quick character death when it comes. Typically creatures that are vulnerable to a certain energy type take 50% more damage. You could try that. It still seems iffy, but he'll be ok at early levels and at higher ones he'll probably load up on a couple types of energy resistance/protection, so it should work out ok.

In light of a recent movie, they could be called oozymandiuses :smalltongue:.

Myou
2009-04-11, 11:02 AM
Seems mostly balanced, and makes sense. They have a lot of abilities, but almost all of them are heavily situational and they're behind on 1 +2 so it works out. DR 5/- seems a bit too situationally powerful, especially at low levels. It'll be hard for anything martial to be much threat at all, and some encounters are all martial. If it's gonna be /-, then I'd drop it to 3/-. Likewise taking double damage against elemental attacks seems like too much of a situational disadvantage, possibly causing quick character death when it comes. Typically creatures that are vulnerable to a certain energy type take 50% more damage. You could try that. It still seems iffy, but he'll be ok at early levels and at higher ones he'll probably load up on a couple types of energy resistance/protection, so it should work out ok.

In light of a recent movie, they could be called oozymandiuses :smalltongue:.
Thanks! ^^

Hmmm, yeah, DR 5 probably is pretty useful a lot of the time, and the leemental damage a bit high.

What if they took 50% less damage from physical attacks and 50% more from elemental? :3
That way it matches up and the DR stays useful beyond the early levels without being overpowered early on.

*Giggles at the pun.* xD

ericgrau
2009-04-12, 09:50 PM
Physical damage is awfully common. If you don't want to do DR, how about 20% miss chance from something that's like partial concealment? Like a blur except rather than being an illusionary effect, hitting the outer part of him with a physical weapon simply passes through without hurting him. This would have no benefit for other things, like spells or splash weapons though. +50% elemental damage is standard for vulnerability and IMO balances out with the 20%, that'd work fine.

Myou
2009-04-14, 06:45 AM
Physical damage is awfully common. If you don't want to do DR, how about 20% miss chance from something that's like partial concealment? Like a blur except rather than being an illusionary effect, hitting the outer part of him with a physical weapon simply passes through without hurting him. This would have no benefit for other things, like spells or splash weapons though. +50% elemental damage is standard for vulnerability and IMO balances out with the 20%, that'd work fine.

It's a very nifty idea, but I think I prefer reducing physical damage to a miss chance, as long as it won't be overpowered.

Reducing physical damage is basically the same as DR/- as I understand it.

Myou
2009-04-17, 03:52 PM
Well, having thought about it I've decided to go for an unconventional DR 50%/--. ^^

Unless anyone thinks that's a mistake. :o