PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Outfit -- Stealth

Nevermind
2006-08-24, 01:33 AM
Stealth - A skin-tight suit with useful functions:

Armored area - Upon a successful will save, Stealth detects your will to be undamaged by a trap. It makes the threatened area thicker and harder, cushoning the blow. When you succeed the will save, you only take half damage. This can be stacked with the rogue's dodge abilities. The will save DC is the same as if you were dodging.
Other: When attacked, the same thing happens, only the DC is the offender's attack check.

Worm Movement - The Stealth, when the wearer is in a tight space, grappled or moving through a crack or small hole, activates very small tentacle-like "feet," invisible to the human eye on it's surface to begin moving. It gives all Escape Artist checks a +2 circumstance bonus.

Streamline - The Stealth has very small grooves on it's surface, again invisible to the naked eye, that decrease wind resistance. The wearer is granted a five percent increase in running speed when wearing the Stealth.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-08-24, 08:50 AM
This is a pretty original idea; you don't see many skin-tight suits in D&D, but it makes sense that there ought to be one. That said, I have something to say about each of the powers.

1. This one I flat-out don't understand. I don't know if it's the way you worded it, or the fact that I can be a little slow to figure stuff out sometimes, but I'm confused as to what this does.

2. This power's explanation is too scientific for a fantasy-based world, if you ask me. Not to mention that it's more than a little creepy. Maybe you could say that the suit has a slick surface, which would have the same effect.

3. Actually, this ability is good. I love it. Great for quick escapes. ;)

All you need now is to figure out a price.

Nevermind
2006-08-24, 01:26 PM
Actually, I really did screw the first one. Reading it now, I can barely understand it myself, not to mentaion I didn't even put in it's math.

For the second one, I'll try to make it more Ye Olde.

For the price... Ugh. I don't have any of my boooks with me at the moment, I'll try to find some info on the net. Isn't there a system? The cost of the spells needed to make it, and the cost of the materials+crafting cost? I dunno. I'm pretty much a DnD n00b.

EDIT: Edited. Hope it's more Ye Olde.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-24, 01:50 PM
Try this:

Armored Area: When struck by an opponent's weapon or a trap, you may make a will save (DC = attack roll in the case of an attack, and = Trap DC in the case of a trap). If you succeed on this will save, any damage you take from that source is reduced to half normal.

Successive attacks from one source--such as a fighter with multiple attacks per round--each trigger this ability multiple times.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-24, 04:13 PM
I don't understand how a skintight suit would detect your will...unless it's something out of a warforged campaign or some semi-sentient magical item. And yeah, the ability to take half damage on succesful attacks? Even besides AC? Gets real broken, real fast.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-24, 04:30 PM
I don't understand how a skintight suit would detect your will...unless it's something out of a warforged campaign or some semi-sentient magical item. And yeah, the ability to take half damage on succesful attacks? Even besides AC? Gets real broken, real fast.
You can even that out by making it the equivalent of wearing light armor (so you need the proficiency), but it provides no armor bonus. Sure, you take half, but you also get hit more. This'd mean that a good Dex is crucial.

And you could make it minorly empathic rather easily. Give it an Intelligence of 10, a Charisma 13, and a Wisdom 13. It's empathic and has 2 lesser powers, and has 60' vision and hearing.

And the two lesser powers? Armored Area and Streamline. Worm Movement isn't powerful enough to qualify for a lesser power, but it can stay.

You can continue to make Armored Area balanced by making its ability unusable if you're wearing other armor of any kind (a shield, for instance), or if you have any items that add a deflection bonus to AC (like a ring of protection). Things that provide natural armor (Amulet of Natural Armor), insight bonuses to AC (like a monk's ability), dodge bonuses and the like can remain, however.

So, the final item should look something like this:
[hr]
Stealth is an intelligent magical skin-tight suit. It has Intelligence 10, Wisdom 13, and Charisma 13, communicates empathically, is Chaotic Neutral, and has an Ego score of 5. It requires Armor Proficiency (Light) to use, but does not provide any armor bonus to AC. It has two abilities:

Armored Area: When struck by an opponent's weapon or a trap, you may make a will save (DC = attack roll in the case of an attack, and = Trap DC in the case of a trap). If you succeed on this will save, any damage you take from that source is reduced to half normal. Successive attacks from one source--such as a fighter with multiple attacks per round--each trigger this ability multiple times.

If you receive an armor, shield, or deflection bonus to AC from any source, this ability is unusable, since Stealth is unable to recognize and compensate for incoming blows.

Streamline: Stealth has a number of very small grooves on its surface which are largely invisible to the naked eye. These grooves, coupled with Stealth's inherent empathic reactions to its wearer, allow for the wearer to move quicker than normal. The wearer of Stealth gains a +5' bonus to his base land speed.

Worm Movement: Due to Stealth's construction, the wearer of Stealth gains a +2 circumstance bonus to Escape Artist checks.

Cost: 17,000 gold.

Nevermind
2006-08-24, 04:32 PM
Half damage on successful will saves. Not nessesarily on every single successful attack. When you succeed in a will save against your opponents attack, you take half damage.

And Seraph, yes. If something has magical abilities, then It's magical.

Gets real broken real fast...?

EDIT: Thanks man. I'm very inarticulate, not to mention a DND noob.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-24, 04:39 PM
EDIT: Thanks man. I'm very inarticulate, not to mention a DND noob.
No problem. It's part of what I do around here.