PDA

View Full Version : The real, surprising Ultimate Arcane Power (SPOILERS!)

Nerdanel
2009-04-10, 05:05 PM
I happened over a promotion for a free pdf of Exalted Second Edition and out of curiosity and desire to have a better idea of what's going on in the Keychain of Creation the OOTS-style webcomic I downloaded it. Reading it, I found something completely unexpected...

In the First Age, magicians typically had their demon servants ferry them to rocky islets in the middle of the open ocean, where they could work their prodigies of destruction [developing spells] without fear of accidentally leveling a metropolis.

Sound familiar? There's more and better.

It turns out that in Exalted becoming able to use sorcery requires overcoming five trials:

The first trial is humility. The initiate must learn to see beyond his own hubris, often in the course of challenges impossible to finish, deliberate humiliation by a mentor or contemplation of past failures. Storytellers might encourage players to take a lead in describing this initiation, as players are sometimes resentful when their character is humiliated at the Storyteller's hands. Brigid's humiliation was that she could not match the power of her peers - she had no skill in developing charms.

V got quite thoroughly humiliated over the course of several months. The challenge of scrying Haley past Cloister was impossible. V involuntarily contemplated past failures every time he fell into trance.

[quote]The second trial is tutelage.

I wonder if these trials need to be in order. V had Aarindarius...

The third trial is a journey.

V's been journeying throughout the whole strip and doesn't look to be settling down any time soon.

The fourth trial is fear. The Solar must learn mastery over her darkest fear - whether a fear of losing her way, of causing others' deaths, of claiming her true power, of finding herself powerless or simply of "spiders". For Brigid, this fear was found at the end of her journey when she faced the Unconquered Sun and feared herself unworthy of him.

V's darkest fear appears to have been powerlessness and being unable to save those that rely on him because of that powerlessness. V met that in Azure City and at the claws the ABD that knew Antimagic Field and Greater Teleport and treatened V's family.

The fifth trial is sacrifice. To become a sorcerer, one must make a terrible sacrifice. This trial is repeated when the sorcerer ascends to a higher level of initiation, so that a sorcerer who cuts of her finger or abandons a brother to learn Terrestrial Circle Sorcery might lose a portion of her sanity to reach the Celestial Circle and cast aside her own true love to master the Solar Circle. Brigid's sacrifice, if any, was unknown.

Abandon two (metaphorical) brothers in the form of Elan and Durkon? Check!

No longer totally sane? Check!

Cast aside own true love? Check!

If V lived in a world functioning under the rules of Exalted, he might very well qualify for learning Exalted type sorcery. (PCs in Exalted are by default Solar Exalted and V is a PC.) And Exalted is an extremely high-powered setting...

I guess this all COULD be just a coincidence, but it would have to be a big coincidence indeed. I'm thinking the Exalted references are intentional, and since they haven't been lampshaded, in line to come up again, even if it's in a scene where V sighs about how unfair it is that he lives in a world that functions along D&D and not Exalted rules.

derfenrirwolv
2009-04-10, 05:32 PM
IF thats anything more than coincidence, its more likely the giant and the writers of exalted are drawing from the same oriental sources

Mewtarthio
2009-04-10, 06:20 PM
It's an archetypical "break them down to build them up again" trial. You see them all the time.

Tyrmatt
2009-04-10, 06:24 PM
Mostly I think Rich is setting V up for learning a very special lesson, though not in a cheesy way. The man who considers his own power as the only way to solve all of the problems in the world is going to have to learn that the people around him are infinitely more important by comparison.
His comrades in arms who believe that with teamwork, nothing is insurmountable. Particularly Elan in this case, who has absolute faith in his friends that they can fix things.
Alongside this are his family who feel their already distant family member has finally slipped away from them forever. V has to remember the reason he just threw his soul to the mercy of fiends, to protect those who he loves.
Without them, there is no reason to direct his arcane might at anything.

I for one, look forward to the upcoming Order of the Stick Reunion Tour, where we see the team patch itself back together, the return of Roy who is ready to bring his weary warriors back under one banner, Hayley and Elan's joyful reunion and V's redemption.

GSFB
2009-04-11, 12:55 PM
V has not yet achieved ultimate arcane power. She still has yet to receive the doily.

Nerdanel
2009-04-11, 02:09 PM
Well, you'll have to admit it was quite unlikely and surprising to find that all that quoted stuff on a single page of the Exalted sourcebook.

A possible end-game twist: As the OOTS (and apparently the Linear Guild and Xykon too offscreen) was converted from 3.0 to 3.5 in the beginning of the strip, perhaps the gods could use their divine powers over the gaming universe to convert OOTS into Exalted in order to power them up.

Snarl: "Grrrr...."
:roy: "Perfect Defense!"
Snarl: "???"
:roy: "Okay, it's now my turn. Taste this elaborately named melee Charm!"
Snarl: "Eek!"