PDA

View Full Version : /\3.5/\ A Matter of Fairness

Deth Muncher
2009-04-10, 08:27 PM
In the Sandstorm campaign I'm in, we've just hit level 6, and the DM has okayed my taking Leadership. We're all mercenaries, so he's saying that in-game wise, it's like me being promoted. Now, I can already hear the cries of "OMG what a dumb DM! Most bustededed feat evarzlolz!" Yeah, okay. That's not really being discussed here, okay? I'm not trying to bust the game here. What I AM doing, however, is trying to make sure I DON'T bust the game. My character is a Sorceror who plans on going Sandshaper next level. The DM wants to be a Dragonfire Adept for story purposes, which I was originally okay with. However, the more I thought about it, the more I thought "Hey, wouldn't the best asset to a Sorceror be...another Sorceror?" I'm a very Direct Damagey person, and my spell selection mostly reflects that. (TL;DR = I'm an Evocation fan.) My thought, however, was instead of re-speccing to Controller, why not just have a cohort do it? Does that seem too...ridiculous? Honestly, I see this opening up a bunch of possibilities, especially if I can use the Cooperative Casting feat. I mean, it's not a major thing, but if me and the cohort can work together to cast a spell, isn't that...well, what cohorts are supposed to do, is help you out? Not to mention, he can stun something, and I'll zap it. It all seems to be fairly kosher to me, but then, that's me. What do you think?

evil-frosty
2009-04-10, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I have never heard of that feat though.

Deth Muncher
2009-04-10, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I have never heard of that feat though.

It's in Complete Arcane. I forget exactly what it does, but I think it boosts DC for the spell.

arguskos
2009-04-10, 08:35 PM
Honestly, that sounds fine. I mean, it increases your power level significantly, but if you and your DM work something out where you and the cohort aren't too powerful compared to the rest of the party, then it's not an issue. :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I love Leadership, esp when it's treated with some respect and balance. Your character/cohort sound fun really, and fairly balanced.

sonofzeal
2009-04-10, 08:38 PM
Dragonfire Adept with Entangling Exhalation should satisfy all your "Controller" needs. No Cooperative Casting, but should mesh well with you with the right Invocation choices. Following DM-nudgings is usually a good idea.

Deth Muncher
2009-04-10, 08:41 PM
Also, added bonus to me discussing this here is that my DM lurks on this forum, so I'll probably get an email bugging me about this in the not too distant future.

EDIT: As a subquestion, where can I find all the invocations for DFA? I completely forget everything about that class. I think it starts out in Dragon Magic, yeah?

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-10, 09:11 PM
Yes.................

Deth Muncher
2009-04-10, 09:17 PM
Yes.................

Are there any other supplimental ones not in that book? Like with Warlocks?

sonofzeal
2009-04-10, 09:18 PM
EDIT: As a subquestion, where can I find all the invocations for DFA? I completely forget everything about that class. I think it starts out in Dragon Magic, yeah?
They're almost all in Dragon Magic, although many DMs allow crosspollenation with Warlock, so you might want to check Complete Arcane too. And there's always this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=780301).

Chronos
2009-04-10, 09:39 PM
Dragon Magic was one of the last 3.5 books to be released, so there really wasn't even any place to release any more DFA invocations. There were, however, some pre-existing breath weapon tricks from Draconomicon and Races of the Dragon.

streakster
2009-04-10, 09:43 PM
If you want battlefield control, take a DFA. A good DFA can entangle, damage, and inflict multiple debuffs on groups of enemies with one attack (plus they'll keep taking damage). They also get such gems such as at-will identifies.

A favorite class of mine, and a big help to a party.

Just don't take Breath of Bahamut.

Deth Muncher
2009-04-10, 10:17 PM
After reading through the handbook, it almost seems like DFA is a bit more broken than having a Sorceror Cohort, unless the Invocations Learned is slow. even then, it should be pretty decent, I'd hope.